AMD “ZEN3” CPU 08/10/2020

D4B613CE-61A4-404C-BDC8-6F769775E52B.jpeg

Fastest single thread cinebench benchmark was a surprise. AMD always struggled against Intel in the single thread benchmarks

Oooh a sneak peak at Big Navi 😁

Damn! They pulled out big Navi! Didn’t see that comming

can they slaughter nvidia now and cancel preorders?

edit: yep, RIP Nvidia hype.

I was hoping for a slightly lower price point on the 5950x so I think it'll be the 5900x for me :)

Ok so all I want to know now, is when will we see GBP pricing? Guess it’s likely to be a -50 difference like we’ve seen with the 30 series, not the true usd to gbp conversion

Ok so all I want to know now, is when will we see GBP pricing? Guess it’s likely to be a -50 difference like we’ve seen with the 30 series, not the true usd to gbp conversion
Probably. Remember USD prices don't normally include sales tax (our VAT equivalent)

3900x is £399 right now.....what do you think the better option is gien it looks like the 5900x is going to be maybe £499?

Impressive presentation overall.

Was a little disappointed that we didn't get either the 5950X or the 5900X having a 5ghz boost clock. I know it's purely a symbolic number but personally I would have been happier with a 125w TDP and 5ghz boost clock. I guess people will OC to that relatively easy anyway.

According to web searches the launch price for the 3900X was $499 and £490. That ratio puts the 5900X at £539. Interesting that they've raised prices for the new generation.

In that presentation I saw they had something on the screen that the 5900X is 2.8 times faster than the i9-10900k, did anyone catch that and understand what that meant?

Ufft, at £549 I think getting a 3900x for £399 is my best option. Not going to rush. Will sleep on it tonight and will decide tomorrow what I'll do.

According to web searches the launch price for the 3900X was $499 and £490. That ratio puts the 5900X at £539. Interesting that they've raised prices for the new generation.

In that presentation I saw they had something on the screen that the 5900X is 2.8 times faster than the i9-10900k, did anyone catch that and understand what that meant?

2.8x more efficient, not faster.

No, they said it is 2.8 times more efficient!

Basically a 105w TDP on the AMD vs a 300w TDP of the i9-10900k at it's full boost and giving similar performance.

In reality think I'm going to stick with this 3800x. AMD have clearly done very well, but with £100 off the 3800x right now, and the 5800 clearly likely to be back at least to the 3800x original RRP, for the frames already possible I can't justify an extra £100 for what could be 10-20fps at this point. Nice to know I have an upgrade path in a year or so for a quick performance bump if I wanted though for sure.

They've left the right price point for the 5700, but they should have just come out with it not held it back for the future. That likely would have been more tempting around the $370 mark.

Looks like a good bump in performance and it's good to see them close the IPC gap. Pricing is a bit of an issue but, if they're now toe to toe with Intel on performance, then I suppose it's natural they'd want to reduce the price difference too.
Can't see a compelling reason for me to upgrade from my 3700x yet though...

Come the new year, a R5-5600X coupled with Big Navi or RTX-3080 should make quite the upgrade from my (relatively) aging R7-1700/1080ti. 😁

Come the new year, a R5-5600X coupled with Big Navi or RTX-3080 should make quite the upgrade from my (relatively) aging R7-1700/1080ti. 😁
Oh absolutely it will. Assuming you can get your hands on a 3080, fingers crossed for you.
The more I think of it, getting a 3700x and 2060 super on the forum classifieds for £430 seems like a great deal. I'll probably upgrade the card next year but no pressing need at the moment.

Actually, my mind is made up. Buying a 3900x. I think £399 is the lowest that chip has been and I'm nervous about it going up in price if there's not enough supply for demand of the 5900x. :/

Think I will be upgrading from my 3700x to a 5800x assuming price over here isn't silly.

I'll be thinking about upgrade options for a while yet, probably closer to new year before i decide on anything.
Still have to see if a 5700x is any good and how these cpus will play with a x470 mobo.
Would quite like to get a 5800x but i think a 5600x might be more manageable.

I assume that was the oem
chip only from scan (no cooler included ?)
Yeah, got a Corsair H150i Pro (Which Corsair very kindly sent the bracket I need for free!) so don't need the stock cooler

Impressive performance and most of the pricing is ok. They have the performance crown so obviously feel they can charge more now. Not very impressed with the pricing in the lower tiers though. The 3600x launched at $250 but a $50 rise here is double the percentage increase of the $50 on the 5900x. Also anyone who wants an 8-core is going to have to stump up $450 which is $120 more than the 3700x launch price. Looks like I'll be waiting for a 5700x or for the inevitable price drops around xmas.

As someone who's always had Intel CPUs until recently, I love that AMD are bringing the fight still and aren't sitting on their laurels. This is great for everyone.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom