Ambilights staying on with dark/black scenes - When will Philips finally fix it?

Ambilight brightness for me is broken also. No matter what I do when I change the setting and go back it reverts to the previous number.

Also my remote has started not responding every few seconds. Randomly you have to press enter 5 times before it registers

urgh

Ambilight brightness for me is broken also. No matter what I do when I change the setting and go back it reverts to the previous number.

Also my remote has started not responding every few seconds. Randomly you have to press enter 5 times before it registers

urgh
Have you changed the batteries? Not telling you how to suck eggs but I've done it myself, slapping the control against my thigh just to try and get it to work when all i had to do was changes the batteries, easy to forget when they last so long these days.

Last edited:
Hey all, I recently got a software update for the 806, firmware version 001.002.092.200. What I have noticed is the ambilight is massively improved on dark scenes but could be better. The ambilight colour seems a little washed out still even at max saturation (not all sides mainly the top). The VRR seems to have been broken when the Xbox outputs at 4k 120htz if flickers every now and again, didn’t t do this with .026. The input select for the HDMI’s taking an age and not displaying the Xbox signal despite showing that it has seen a signal showing 120 frames but no image, which eventually pops up with multiple selections of the same input (and a reboot).Also I too have had issues with a remote experiencing delays changed the batteries and still took a few presses, it’s like it needs to be woken up, but the behaviour is not predictable. I have also noticed more issues with apps dropping sound for short period. Also the Apple TV app auto adjusted the scene aspect ration mid episode which resulted in a stretched image, was only corrected after exiting the app and relaunching.
Also after the update the freeview plus app was broken as it is clearly baked in but would not work giving me the must accept terms to use and then bombs out, could only fix by reinstalling the TV (massive pain in the ass having to sign into all the apps again). Philips / TP Vision need to sort their crap out! People need to be sacked or better still publicly flogged for this utter infestation of what is an incompetently designed, executed and marketed with lies, pile of good for nothing expensive wall art which may or may not show a video signal and provide sound.

I am also pretty annoyed with influencers and reviewers as they are clearly being rewarded for favourable reviews as I have really struggled for find a review with any issues in it. My question is are they being told to ignore the issues (I’m guessing for reward) or are they just not testing it properly?

This is a rhetorical question.

I guess when you're just going through the basics by your regular checklist with limited time you won't see some or most issues. Image quality and sound are great, but I didn't notice the random speaker noise when the TV is off until I've been in Home Office in my livingroom today. Doesn't bother me, but If the TV was in my bedroom I'd return it as it's loud enough to wake me up.

Hey all, I recently got a software update for the 806, firmware version 001.002.092.200. What I have noticed is the ambilight is massively improved on dark scenes but could be better. The ambilight colour seems a little washed out still even at max saturation (not all sides mainly the top). The VRR seems to have been broken when the Xbox outputs at 4k 120htz if flickers every now and again, didn’t t do this with .026. The input select for the HDMI’s taking an age and not displaying the Xbox signal despite showing that it has seen a signal showing 120 frames but no image, which eventually pops up with multiple selections of the same input (and a reboot).Also I too have had issues with a remote experiencing delays changed the batteries and still took a few presses, it’s like it needs to be woken up, but the behaviour is not predictable. I have also noticed more issues with apps dropping sound for short period. Also the Apple TV app auto adjusted the scene aspect ration mid episode which resulted in a stretched image, was only corrected after exiting the app and relaunching.
Also after the update the freeview plus app was broken as it is clearly baked in but would not work giving me the must accept terms to use and then bombs out, could only fix by reinstalling the TV (massive pain in the ass having to sign into all the apps again). Philips / TP Vision need to sort their crap out! People need to be sacked or better still publicly flogged for this utter infestation of what is an incompetently designed, executed and marketed with lies, pile of good for nothing expensive wall art which may or may not show a video signal and provide sound.
No update on my TV yet. I'm in Bulgaria, if that matters. How did you get yours? Although I don't expect a big difference between 001.002.092.200 and 001.002.092.000 which I already have.

No update on my TV yet. I'm in Bulgaria, if that matters. How did you get yours? Although I don't expect a big difference between 001.002.092.200 and 001.002.092.000 which I already have.
So it appears that the support team targeted my TV for the update as I have an open support ticket with them.
Had a few developments since then. I did a one button reset which took. The firmware back to 233.026 however the ambilitght stayed fixed and the VRR issues disappeared although I still have many issues. The retailer who I kept in copy saw that philips support did pretty much nothing in 11 weeks so they replaced the TV with a new 77OLED806 which came with firmware 233.026 and has working ambilight but again all the same issues, and this set doesn’t have a firmware update available.
my support ticket is still open and have have very little from philips support (pretty much nothing).

Now I'm wondering something else: Are motion artefacts on the dual-chip 936 and 986 (much) higher than those on single chip ones? Because I saw some websites mentioning motion artefacts on 9 series but not on 8.

Update to this thread, Philips has released a firmware update (TPM211EA_R.001.002.114.203) that seems to bring back the previous functionality of the Ambilight system. Now in the "Game" preset, the lights go back to off during dark/black scenes/portions of the screen.

Unfortunately that is the only preset that has "all off" on the lights. I would've loved the Natural preset to have them all off as well as the Game preset responds a bit nervous, but I'll take this over the previous faulty unusable state any day.

Just done the update but unfortunately this hasn't fixed the issue for additional hue lights. Disappointed but just expect it at this stage.

in this video it is clear that the additional hue lights the dude uses, as mentioned in the description (Hue GO,Outdoor Lightstrip,GU10 spots) in the black scenes go out completely,for example at 0:30. His TV (Philips 70PUS7855 / 12 ) is a model of 2020. I can not understand why on my own TV (806) this does not happen.

Probably Philips got it backwards and implemented complete lights off for LCD LED TVs but not for OLED ones? Or the dude in the video has used game mode..?

It does not matter if it is in game mode or not but that it works properly on its own TV while in mine with the same hue lights this does not happen in every mode.

Last edited:
This TV, 70PUS7855 has Saphi OS.Maybe this is the difference.Oled 806 has Android. I guess that is why his hue lights ,goes out in the black scenes

Last I spoke with Philips in Feb/March they said it was being addressed in the next update but I wouldn't hold out hope. It's very poor of Philips to advertise a feature and benefit of their Hue bulbs which then don't actually work..

My 77OLED806 has been informing me of an available update. I am hestitant to install it as before it screwed up the ambilights not going completely off anymore.

Can anyone confirm that the ambilights go completely off during dark scenes with version 101.000.178.222 ?

My 77OLED806 has been informing me of an available update. I am hestitant to install it as before it screwed up the ambilights not going completely off anymore.

Can anyone confirm that the ambilights go completely off during dark scenes with version 101.000.178.222 ?
No, there is still no change

Well, I went back from my vacation. Since I installed version TPM211EA_001.002.092.000 on my 77OLED806 back in January I turned off the automatic updates. When I turned on the tv yesterday it says there was a new update available. I wouldn't installed it because I was affraid that it would fudge up my ambilight again. This morning my daughter turned on the tv when we were still in bed. She clicked on the UPDATE button.... Now I'm screwed again with these white lights. I must say, since the last update (end last year) when it first broke the ambilight there was no single difference between Standard, Natural, Sports, Vivid or Game. In all modes these white lights were all equally bright. Now it seems that the Sports mode (the mode I'm using since day 1) is now a little less bright then in the first "broken" update. But still, in version TPM211EA_001.002.092.000 the ambilight was perfect.

I just tried to put the USB with version 092.000 on it but the tv said there's no update available. Is there anyway to undo that last update and get back to 092.000 ? Version 092.000 was unofficial so someone made that version and released it. And if there is a way to do this, how do I get rid of these "new update available" messages when I turned off automatic updates already?

I hope there is a solution to this because I've been annoyed by this ambilight all evening now.

The release notes for the 77OLED806 says:

TPM211EA_101.000.178.222– Date: 2022/07/20
‐ Initial Android R software for 2K22 OLED907/OLED937 series
‐ Fixes for channel list issues
‐ Fix for Disney+ subtitle issue
‐ Fix for start‐up with Google Cast
‐ Fix for excessive EMMC wear specifically for UK
Improvements for ambilight performance – next generation ambilight
‐ Improvements for HDMI eARC audio issues
‐ Improvements for stability issues (reboots, freezes)

What is meant by "Improvements for ambilight performance - next generation ambilight"?

Is this meaning that the OLED807 has also this same ambilight and that the 806 now is updated with it's latest "next generation" version?

Last edited:
Well, I went back from my vacation. Since I installed version TPM211EA_001.002.092.000 on my 77OLED806 back in January I turned off the automatic updates. When I turned on the tv yesterday it says there was a new update available. I wouldn't installed it because I was affraid that it would fudge up my ambilight again. This morning my daughter turned on the tv when we were still in bed. She clicked on the UPDATE button.... Now I'm screwed again with these white lights. I must say, since the last update (end last year) when it first broke the ambilight there was no single difference between Standard, Natural, Sports, Vivid or Game. In all modes these white lights were all equally bright. Now it seems that the Sports mode (the mode I'm using since day 1) is now a little less bright then in the first "broken" update. But still, in version TPM211EA_001.002.092.000 the ambilight was perfect.

I just tried to put the USB with version 092.000 on it but the tv said there's no update available. Is there anyway to undo that last update and get back to 092.000 ? Version 092.000 was unofficial so someone made that version and released it. And if there is a way to do this, how do I get rid of these "new update available" messages when I turned off automatic updates already?

I hope there is a solution to this because I've been annoyed by this ambilight all evening now.
So far as I know you will not be able to downgrade back to it, its a new version (11) of android.

You're only usage for ambilight with no white lights on a black scene is to use game mode, it's the only 1 that will stay dark. It's not ideal as it's not the best mode at all but that's it.

I personally turned off ambilight months ago (apart from when a new update is released to test) as I fond it unusable in its current state

All I can suggest is to report it to philips and ask that everyone else do so. The more people complain the more (however slight) of a chance they may finally listen.

So far as I know you will not be able to downgrade back to it, its a new version (11) of android.

You're only usage for ambilight with no white lights on a black scene is to use game mode, it's the only 1 that will stay dark. It's not ideal as it's not the best mode at all but that's it.

I personally turned off ambilight months ago (apart from when a new update is released to test) as I fond it unusable in its current state

All I can suggest is to report it to philips and ask that everyone else do so. The more people complain the more (however slight) of a chance they may finally listen.
That's hard to accept! I rather would like to replace the tv with the fabric firmware to update it manually with 092.000. But you said that your tv shows there is a new update available. How do you want to manage this notification? Because it shows every time you put on your tv.... If you press accidently on the OK button you are screwed... :-(

I hope there will be a solution soon but I think that no matter what, how many of us will complain.... they are very clear and draw their own plan. Besides, I'm in the Netherlands and these countries don't know from eachother this addressed problem.

@AlexanderVS I hope you have a tip or solution to bypass this update? Maybe another unofficial firmware version?

Last edited:
For anyone that care. I had contact with Philips Netherlands yesterday and they asked me if I could make a logfile from the tv. I just sent the log with the following email:

Hi,
Thank you for your clear instruction. Attached is the zip / rar file containing the requested files.
I hope you can find something out of this.

In my opinion it is not a malfunction or anything like that but just a piece of firmware that needs to be adjusted to at least switch off the bright white light in a number of ambilight modes in dark / black scenes that are currently on a certain level of the screen the picture shows. After a previous firmware update (version TPM211EA_001.001.233.022 from January this year) caused the same problem, I installed an unofficial version (which was not known to Philips Netherlands) a few days later. This was version TPM211EA_R.001.002.092.000. This version immediately fixed the issue where the ambilight was back to how it should have been when I bought the TV too.
To clarify, I'm talking about Ambilight mode: Sport

Correct display should be: (with factory firmware or version TPM211EA_R.001.002.092.00)

Ambi good.jpg

Not correct display as it is with current firmware (TPM211EA_R.101.000.178.222 + previous TPM211EA_001.001.233.022 from January this year)
ambi fault.jpg

I think that if you compare the factory firmware + version 092.000 with the incorrect versions (178.222 + 233.022) and look at the Ambilight parameters that the error has surfaced and this should be easy to solve with an update.

Incidentally, I think that with a premium model (OLED806) there are quite few ambilight modes compared to the earlier mid-range models (have already had / seen a lot of models). On this TV is available:

• Standard
  • Natural
  • Sports
  • Vivid
  • Game

Where, due to the lack of a Relax mode, I always had it in Sport mode because here the ambilight did not turn white in dark scenes and colored the most beautifully detailed). On almost all previous models I've had, I always had 7 modes at my disposal, including a Comfort and Relax mode. In my bedroom there is still a perfectly working 55PFL8008K which still has an unparalleled beautiful ambilight and which is equipped with a Comfort and Relax mode. It would be nice if these modes could come back.

Know that on many forums (including AVForums) there are also many wishes.

Hopefully this gives you enough information and I really hope you can do something about it. I'm not just speaking on behalf of myself but also represent a larger group that also has the exact same problem.

So hope you don't consider this a "one man wish".

I am very curious about the outcome! Thank you very much for the feedback.

Sincerely
Rob

For anyone that care. I had contact with Philips Netherlands yesterday and they asked me if I could make a logfile from the tv. I just sent the log with the following email:

Hi,
Thank you for your clear instruction. Attached is the zip / rar file containing the requested files.
I hope you can find something out of this.

In my opinion it is not a malfunction or anything like that but just a piece of firmware that needs to be adjusted to at least switch off the bright white light in a number of ambilight modes in dark / black scenes that are currently on a certain level of the screen the picture shows. After a previous firmware update (version TPM211EA_001.001.233.022 from January this year) caused the same problem, I installed an unofficial version (which was not known to Philips Netherlands) a few days later. This was version TPM211EA_R.001.002.092.000. This version immediately fixed the issue where the ambilight was back to how it should have been when I bought the TV too.
To clarify, I'm talking about Ambilight mode: Sport

Correct display should be: (with factory firmware or version TPM211EA_R.001.002.092.00)

View attachment 1739283

Not correct display as it is with current firmware (TPM211EA_R.101.000.178.222 + previous TPM211EA_001.001.233.022 from January this year)
View attachment 1739284

I think that if you compare the factory firmware + version 092.000 with the incorrect versions (178.222 + 233.022) and look at the Ambilight parameters that the error has surfaced and this should be easy to solve with an update.

Incidentally, I think that with a premium model (OLED806) there are quite few ambilight modes compared to the earlier mid-range models (have already had / seen a lot of models). On this TV is available:

• Standard
  • Natural
  • Sports
  • Vivid
  • Game

Where, due to the lack of a Relax mode, I always had it in Sport mode because here the ambilight did not turn white in dark scenes and colored the most beautifully detailed). On almost all previous models I've had, I always had 7 modes at my disposal, including a Comfort and Relax mode. In my bedroom there is still a perfectly working 55PFL8008K which still has an unparalleled beautiful ambilight and which is equipped with a Comfort and Relax mode. It would be nice if these modes could come back.

Know that on many forums (including AVForums) there are also many wishes.

Hopefully this gives you enough information and I really hope you can do something about it. I'm not just speaking on behalf of myself but also represent a larger group that also has the exact same problem.

So hope you don't consider this a "one man wish".

I am very curious about the outcome! Thank you very much for the feedback.

Sincerely
Rob
How does the ambilight work in "game mode" with firmware 101.000.178.222? Do they stay white during dark scenes or do they completely turn off with ambilight in "game mode"?

How does the ambilight work in "game mode" with firmware 101.000.178.222? Do they stay white during dark scenes or do they completely turn off with ambilight in "game mode"?

In game mode they turn completely off, at least in my 706.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom