Ambilights staying on with dark/black scenes - When will Philips finally fix it?

How does the ambilight work in "game mode" with firmware 101.000.178.222? Do they stay white during dark scenes or do they completely turn off with ambilight in "game mode"?
Yes, in Game mode they are completely turned off when showing dark scenes. But in Game mode this was already the case in previous update. I'm used to the Sport mode with this 77OLED806 because the ambilight colors moves very smooth, rich and detailed. The Game mode is a bit like a christmas fair, little too busy. So I want back my Sport mode but with these white lights off during dark scenes. Or even better: I want my Relax or Comfort mode back like many other previous models... I don't see why this is so difficult to implementate.

Philips confirmer my email and they will get back to me after they have studied the log file and my email. I will keep you guys posted.

Fingers crossed Although I think the chance that they offer a solution is very small. Which might be a solution.

Maybe someone can give me a log file of their TV from firmware version 092.000 which is good so they can compare it with the most recent update? Then I can sent them an email again with another logfile from the "good firmware version" Then a simple adjustment in some parameters seems to me to be a simple solution for them. It can hardly be otherwise that if they compare them they have found the error. The problem is that Philips does not recognize it as a mistake and that apparently just 1 person makes that decision...

Yes, in Game mode they are completely turned off when showing dark scenes. But in Game mode this was already the case in previous update. I'm used to the Sport mode with this 77OLED806 because the ambilight colors moves very smooth, rich and detailed. The Game mode is a bit like a christmas fair, little too busy. So I want back my Sport mode but with these white lights off during dark scenes. Or even better: I want my Relax or Comfort mode back like many other previous models... I don't see why this is so difficult to implementate.

Philips confirmer my email and they will get back to me after they have studied the log file and my email. I will keep you guys posted.

Fingers crossed Although I think the chance that they offer a solution is very small. Which might be a solution.

Maybe someone can give me a log file of their TV from firmware version 092.000 which is good so they can compare it with the most recent update? Then I can sent them an email again with another logfile from the "good firmware version" Then a simple adjustment in some parameters seems to me to be a simple solution for them. It can hardly be otherwise that if they compare them they have found the error. The problem is that Philips does not recognize it as a mistake and that apparently just 1 person makes that decision...
Philips have already stated months ago that this change was implemented by them on purpose and they have no intentions of ever changing them back.

Unless enough people have complained about it since then (and I highly doubt they have, I however am 1 of those that did conplain) they are not going to change this.

I would love to be proven wrong as I hate the white lights on a black scene, but I'm not holding my breath.

They are not going to fix anything like the ambilight hue lights (hue go, gu10 spots, lightstips etc,) all of which with ambilight+hue remain open in black scenes in all modes.

@AlexanderVS I hope you have a tip or solution to bypass this update? Maybe another unofficial firmware version?
Sorry - I am being annoyed (or rather enraged) a lot with these 'update available' notifications as well, because sooner or later it may finish in accidental confirmation...

Maybe something in service menu may help, need to check but I am afraid I do not recollect seeing something of that kind there...

Hmm. Thanks for your reply Alexander! Still awaiting the response from Philips. Hope there will be a solution soon. And if there's not if there's a way to get the tv back to factory settings and do the upgrade again with the 092.000 version.

Just got feedback from Philips after 9 days...
They wrote me the following:
= = = = =
Dear Rob,

This is indeed still under investigation.

It is a software error that occurs on several devices of this model. We are currently investigating what is in the software that causes this. Then a new software version will have to be developed, tested to see if there are no new errors, tightened up, and then released (if everything goes smoothly and the process does not have to be repeated due to new unexpected errors or developments.

Unfortunately, developing software is a difficult and very slow process. We therefore do not expect to have a solution soon and can only ask for your understanding and patience.

We will of course inform you as soon as a solution is available.

Kind regards,
Philips TV Customer Service

= = = = =

I don't know whether I should interpret this answer as "we are not going to do anything about it and maybe there will be a software update in six months" Or whether they really acknowledge and have seen that there is a software error... .? I don't think I'll hear anything about it for a while.
Hopefully it will be resolved in the next update! I also can't imagine what adjusting some parameters in the ambilight could possibly cause other errors? I'm not a techie, but if I could read the firmware then I don't think it's that difficult to solve...

I am being annoyed (or rather enraged) a lot with these 'update available' notifications as well, because sooner or later it may finish in accidental confirmation...
So, there is a workaround to avoid these annoying 'update available' notifications which appear even if autoupdate option is turned off.

If you want to stay on your current FW (e.g. TPM211EA_R.001.002.092.000) and do not want to accidentally update the TV when you see such an 'update available' notice, you may avoid these notifications by performing the following steps:
  • block on your router the following URLs:
    • authorize.nettvservices.com
    • firmware.nettvservices.com
  • reset the TV

Last edited:
So, there is a workaround to avoid these annoying 'update available' notifications which appear even if autoupdate option is turned off.

If you want to stay on your current FW (e.g. TPM211EA_R.001.002.092.000) and do not want to accidentally update the TV when you see such an 'update available' notice, you may avoid these notifications by performing the following steps:
  • block on your router the following URLs:
    • authorize.nettvservices.com
    • firmware.nettvservices.com
  • reset the TV
Hi Alexander,
great! I know how to do that on my router.

But as in fact I'm already on the new update.
How can I go back to 092.000? Because when I put the USB in the tv with that firmware, it shows no "Update" availability...

Thanks

Hi guys

Just took delivery of an 806 and would LOVE to be able to sort the ambilight out in dark scenes. Only fully goes dark in Game mode but the lights respond way too fast for my liking

I'm not super techie so with that in mind, can someone please give a step by step guide to rolling back to TPM211EA_R.001.002.092.000

Thanks in advance

I'm a mac user if that makes any difference?

Hi,

I have an OLED806 and Philips Hue lights (hue play, gu10, light strip, bulbs). I read previously that firmware TPM211EA_R.001.002.092.000 allows ambilight to be disabled during dark scenes in game mode.

I would like to know if this also fixes the ambilight + Hue issue on lights (hue play, gu10, light strip,...), if it is completely off too?

Would it be possible to have this firmware? impossible to find it.

Currently, I upgraded to TPM211EA_R.001.001.233.012 with Android 10, but the latency issue reappeared and Hue lights still won't turn off during dark scenes. Before this I had the latest official Philips version with the ambilight disabled in game mode with the black screen but the tint lights still on.

Hi,

I have an OLED806 and Philips Hue lights (hue play, gu10, light strip, bulbs). I read previously that firmware TPM211EA_R.001.002.092.000 allows ambilight to be disabled during dark scenes in game mode.

I would like to know if this also fixes the ambilight + Hue issue on lights (hue play, gu10, light strip,...), if it is completely off too?

Would it be possible to have this firmware? impossible to find it.

Currently, I upgraded to TPM211EA_R.001.001.233.012 with Android 10, but the latency issue reappeared and Hue lights still won't turn off during dark scenes. Before this I had the latest official Philips version with the ambilight disabled in game mode with the black screen but the tint lights still on.
Νo firmware fixes the problem of phillips hue products (hue play, gu10, light strip, bulbs, etc.) and no one will ever fix it if you ask me . In black scenes, ONLY in game mode, the TV's ambilight turns off but all Phillips hue products mentioned above emit a white light and of course ruin the whole experience. I have personally contacted Phillips, Tp Vision and Signify about this problem, but none of them care.

This company is unbelievable. Last August I had contact with them and sent several log files and stuff. Out of nothing, 4 months further I just received yesterday:
= = = = =
Thank you for your question. As a result, we would like to provide you with the following information.

This is within spec, the ambilight will be disabled in game mode and any other mode will emit white light - this will not be changed. We apologize for the inconvenience.

We hope to have informed you sufficiently with this.

With best regards,

= = = = =

So I wrote back again and specified the problem. And I just got a reply back:

= = = = =
Thank you for your question. As a result, we would like to provide you with the following information.

This is within spec, the ambilight will be disabled in game mode and any other mode will emit white light - this will not be changed. We apologize for the inconvenience.

With best regards,

= = = = =

And immediately afterwards another email: case closed.

Honestly, these guys are so damn stubborn and inappropriate!

I wonder if the successor, model 807, has the same Ambilight behaviour.

Yes
This company is unbelievable. Last August I had contact with them and sent several log files and stuff. Out of nothing, 4 months further I just received yesterday:
= = = = =

With best regards,

= = = = =

= = = = =

With best regards,

= = = = =

Yes my 807 only goes totally black in Game mode... a white "glow" in Natural unfortunately.
I'm using Ambilight less and less for this reason and so my next tv probably won't be a Philips so they'll lose a good customer eventually... 3 tvs and 2 soundbars purchased in the last few years, Fidelio FB1 package arriving tomorrow actually :cool:

Hi TichRocky,

Wonder which firmware you have? According to this guy the Ambilight behaviour is different then from the 806:

Philips 65OLED807 Ambilight

This guy said

If you set ambilight to STANDARD it will glow white on a dark scene, when you set it to NATURAL it will glow gently and finaly when you set it to GAME then backlight will turn off in dark scene and also in GAME mode Ambilight respond instant for changing color/scene i set ambilight to game in this video

Exactly how he says it is...

Firmware
14/12/2022
TPM211EA_R.101.001.003.232

Exactly how he says it is...

Firmware
14/12/2022
TPM211EA_R.101.001.003.232
Okay, so then the behaviour of the OLED807 is different then the 806. Because on the 806 the white Ambilight is the same on NATURAL and STANDARD. Both modes will glow bright white light while in Natural it should be gently. And in SPORT it was used to be gently as well. But now ALL modes except GAME is gently. All other modes full white light.

How is your ambilight behaviour in SPORT mode? From older TV's I was used to use the INTENS mode, but this mode wasn't on the 806. I found out that SPORT mode was most closest to the former INTENS mode.

Okay, so then the behaviour of the OLED807 is different then the 806. Because on the 806 the white Ambilight is the same on NATURAL and STANDARD. Both modes will glow bright white light while in Natural it should be gently. And in SPORT it was used to be gently as well. But now ALL modes except GAME is gently. All other modes full white light.

How is your ambilight behaviour in SPORT mode? From older TV's I was used to use the INTENS mode, but this mode wasn't on the 806. I found out that SPORT mode was most closest to the former INTENS mode.
On my 807 Sport is brighter than Natural and a brighter glow during black scenes. Vivid is VERY bright.

Does anyone else have the issue with HUE Play bars?
I'm happy to use GAME mode as I prefer that anyway but my HUE Play bars just don't seem to match what's on screen and have a dim white light even when using GAME mode..

= = = = =

With best regards,

= = = = =

= = = = =

With best regards,

= = = = =

Sounds about right for Philips. Exact same with my case, just closed it.
Philips technical support are incompetent to say the least..

Philips support approached me with regards my ticket regarding Ambilight staying white which I had raised almost one year ago. They refer to the 101.001.003.223:

We would like to inform you that there is a new software available for your television which will enable you to dim the Ambilight function whilst using "game" mode. Please inform us once you have updated to the new version 101.001.003.223 and if this has resolved your issue.

Please see below the information we have on the Ambilight white light stays on all the time in all modes even in “Natural” and “Game” modes:

Status quo with respect to the AL implementation:

AL segments will only shut down completely with AL style = "game"; in all other AL styles the AL segments will assume a minimal non-zero duty cycle and will therefore be slightly active.

Anyone tried the newer 101.001.003.232 released on January 5, 2023 firmware on 936? How "slightly active" is it in 'Natural' mode?

I am staying on semi-official TPM211EA_001.002.092.000 which is fine with me in terms of Ambilight (in 'Natural' mode it practically goes off on dark scenes), and would not dare to give a try to the new 101.001.003.232 because it would be practically impossible to rollback.

Last edited:
Hi,

firmware .223 is old - latest at the moment is .232 (which was released around christmas time OTA and is now also available as USB download).

Toengel@Alex

Hi,

firmware .223 is old - latest at the moment is .232 (which was released around christmas time OTA and is now also available as USB download).

Toengel@Alex
Oh, thank you very much, right: partially it was a typo (223/232), so I corrected my post above to avoid a confusion. However, support was indeed referring to 223.

BTW, there is no changelog for the 232 on official site: the release notes in pdf (which can be downloaded along with 232 FW) show only the changes for 223 released in October 2022.

Just to inform you this was a issue at some time well now its been years ago on the 935 in game mode (they fixed it.) OLED986 aswell as a PML9506 MiniLED work as advertised without issues. Lights stay completely off.

Ambilight has to be changed to Game Mode of course.

(They all use the same Mediatek SoC)

Changelogs are usually updated after some months after initial public release.
There is room for improvment altough changelog policy is not slower nor faster with other manufacturers.

(Just wanna mention careful you cannot Downgrade after a bigger jump in version numbers)

One major updated feature of v232 is the upgrade to Android 11.
By the way Google TV is just another UI launcher now annoying you with more ads and commercials.

@iMohMoh36 i guess you did already, but I like to ask have you tried adjusting it, via Philips Menu up the brightness to 5 default or 10.
All I can tell is it does work with Philips DTS-Play Fi Wireless speakers in game mode full bright. Speakers are on the latest firmware.

If I would guess I would say the hue firmware just needs an update.

Changelogs are usually updated after some months after initial public release.
Not really (speaking of Philips FW upgrades): I have a collection of PDF files since TPM211EA_001.001.233.026 – Date: 2021/12/14, Philips did not change a word in descriptions of previous changes. And all previous changelogs were available right away along with the FW file unlike the last one. So, I've chased Support for the Release notes file for 232.

Hi,

downgrade is possible with the upgrade_loader - you can find it in my blog in the TV firmware archive section.

Toengel@Alex

Hi, found your blog, can you tell me exactly what is the firmware that i should pick before the damn update that screwed this? i have 55oled754. Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom