Ambilight

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by DamoSXI, Mar 8, 2006.

Tags:
  1. DamoSXI

DamoSXI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. chrisburns75

chrisburns75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    got the same effect from sticking four led s on the back of my tosh
    20£ from ikea got the idea from another tread looks cool

3. in2deep

in2deep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly!

It just sounds like typical marketing bo***cks. Has anyone actually got an Ambilight set, and does it enhance "the viewing pleasure"? Or does it just distract and get in the way....?

4. Kong

Kong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    but doenst the anbilight feature react to whats happening on the screen to catch the atmosphere better?

can makeshift LED jobs do that?

not saying that they cant, just curious thats all

5. Giblets2

Giblets2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Yes and no! The DIY ambilight is a cheap and nasty option but does provide the most important part of what ambilight does, reduces the grey look of blacks on LCD TVs.

To get the 'reactive' ambilight you have to buy a Philip$, with all their inherent bugs and inability to do 1:1 pixel mapping... I was tempted but common sense prevailed and I bought an LG for much cheaper and it's perfect with a PC. Quite tempted by the 'street' ambilight though.

6. mkoehler

mkoehler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You guys have obviously no idea what true Philips Ambilight looks like! :rolleyes: I have a 32PF9830 with two channel ambilight what means it throws light on both sides of the display independently of each other on the wall behind the set. The light changes its color on the fly with the color displayed on the screen. If you look Backdraft for example the effect is incredible: The whole wall behind my set seems to burn, it changes its yellow, red and orange color fluentlly with the flames in the movie.
    That is no ordinary gimmick, this is a real benefit to the mood and atmosphere in the room whenever you whatch TV.:devil:

7. Giblets2

Giblets2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Yeah, we know... shame Philips don't do some better screens to put it on. Like I said above I seriously considered a PF9830 until I found out about all the bugs! Ambilight is a big selling point, but not as much as a screen that actually works with a PC (for me at least).

8. Ethan2000

Ethan2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Yeah sure as a 32pf9830 owner I can say hand on heart i would rather have ambilight than some ikea bits gaffer taped on the back of my tv. When you see lightning flashing up the wall it all makes sense.

9. Jatz

Jatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watched a Philips Ambilight the other day and I thought it looked very good! It really adds to the colour of the picture... I think it might be a bit of a problem if you don't have a white wall behind it though!

10. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I bought one of the first Philips ambilight LCD,s that was released.
    Whilst waiting for my Vogel bracket I mounted the set on the Philips bracket.

The set was therefore 3 inches off the wall. The ambilight features were "seeable" on both walls.

Now the set is mounted on the swinging bracket-the right hand side of the set is 5 inches off the wall - the ambilight is visible. A WHITE WALL

on the left hand side which is 15 inches off the wall, the ambilight is useless.

Unless it is mounted untder ideal conditions it is a waste of time.

How a set that is not close to the ceiling can project the horizontal lights on the ceiling I cannot forsee.
    That is also a waste of money.

Philips to show off the ambilight have been showing th e product off with white plastic wings temporarily attached to both sides of the set -good idea.

Every effort has been made by me to contact someone in Philips or Dutchwest to locate these "wings" but to date no one is forthcoming. I understand they are now enclosed in the packaging with new sets-anyone out there who is throwing them away-my direction please

NJ:lease: :lease: