1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ambilight

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by alexcord, Oct 28, 2005.

1. alexcord

alexcord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well having just watched my first movie Batman Begins on my Philips 37PF9830 I can wholeheartedly say that I am a true fan of Ambilight. The extra sense of immersion you get is phenomenal!! I fear ever having to buy a tv without Ambilight in the future! Once viewed it just isn't the same without!!

What does everybody else think?

2. emrysdavies

emrysdavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    alexcord,

The Philips PF9830 is on my list. Where is that light situated. Would I need it if I only watch Sky digital, particularly football and most other sports.

How would you compare your Philips with the Toshiba WLT58? bearing in mind my love of fast moving sports. I know some of what I ask is off subject, but you may have some relevant suggestions.

Thanks.

3. MrHat

MrHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm.. its just a Tv with a Light shining out of either side :D

4. emrysdavies

emrysdavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
  5. maxib

maxib
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And a pretty expensive light at that. Mind you, I hate to admit it but the gimmicky light thing is one of the factors tempting me away from what appears to be a tried and tested, award-winning pan500. Is the picture for the 37' rivalling that of the plasma and is it as good as the award winning 32'? How does it work with different colours on either side simultaneously - doesnt that give a headache?
    Alex is your tv mounted on wall or placed on pedestal? Are the lights strong enough to hit walls and make effect even if placed on pedestal some way away from the wall?

6. alexcord

alexcord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have the Tv on a stand a couple of feet from the wall. The stand is also motorised in case you didn't know which is pretty cool!

There are many options for the ambilight including how separate the left and right channel are. You also have different modes like relaxed (giving a fairly slow RELAXING change to the ambilight, movie (quicker reaction) and action (super fast). The light is obviously only really effective at night but of course that is when you want it. We have not even had any lights on in the lounge over the last two nights and just enjoyed the full effect.

I have only seen the Pany quickly but was hooked on the idea of the ambilight and relieved that people were really pleased with the 37 for picture qual etc.

Suffice to say that I loved the idea of ambilight but in the flesh it has far surpassed my expectations and I believe it is not just a gimmick as anything that improves your enjoyment of the picture or experience can only be good! During the police car scenes in Batman Begins the ambilight was flashing away on the wall almost giving the impression that the car was in the same room (maybe slight exageration but not much). Believe me the picture looks dead without the ambilight running.

Maybe I am not a purest in my appreciation of LCD/Plasma Tvs but long live Ambilight, I am a follower!!
    :thumbsup: .

7. alexcord

alexcord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have seen a bit of footy on it which looked fine and seen others report that they have not problems. The 37 has a repsonse time of 6ms if I am not mistaken which should be fine for most sports?

8. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I may not be a fan, but...imitation is the best form of flattery.

I did a search on DIY Ambilight and came across the following suggestion for DIY ambilight in a US forum, it is not a cheap option.

First, buy your favourite most expensive LCD TV, then .... get another!

Place TV's back to back close to a wall, feed the LCD facing the wall a mirrored cloned signal (contesery of that PC you also need to buy), and volia you have DIY Ambilight on all 4 edges.......its a pity spelling isn't so easy.

When I began the search I was hoping to find some sort of USB/application driven ambilights, that would run from my HTPC when I output a video signal. I did not manage to find one........suggestions welcome.

I am sure a budding electronic guy could come up with a "black box" with 2 neon's (pimp my TV!!!! :D ) which could recreate amblight, based on a parallel or pass through analogue video signal.... :lease: .....maybe I should patent the idea!

9. alexcord

alexcord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rotfl: Nice one! Think I will stick with an original!

Regards

Alex

10. mkoehler

mkoehler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I fully back alexcords opinion! I too have no idea what I did in all those years without ambilight! Its so much more relaxing to watch. With just a click on the remote you activate it or change the mode (relaxing, ambient, action ...) Esspacially great is it during the DVD of backdraft with ambilight in action mode. :devil: It seems as if it is burning in my room. :thumbsup: All the stereo flickering and the changing shades of red and yellow. :rolleyes:
    Try that at home without lighting a fire ... :rotfl:

11. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Or...............I watch via a HTPC anyway, so how about a smaller video window with a border of ambilight type glow.

On my 768x1366 screen I would choose a smaller window, say 720x1280 (those numbers seem familiar ....I wonder why :suicide: I digess), with a glowing 24 pixel border top and bottom, and another 42 pixel border left and right.

Those that own ambilit (new word!) LCD's do you this would give a pleasant affect, or do you need the rear / side reflected glow!

12. alexcord

alexcord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst watching Batman I thought of other films that ambilight might shine and Backdraft was top of the list! Maybe we should start a list of the best Ambilight movies? Was wondering what the rocket launch in Apollo 13 might look like :smashin:

13. mkoehler

mkoehler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah! That or a grand fireworks like in Lord of the Rings. Have you watched a thunderstorm documentation lately ...? :eek:

14. alanwalton

alanwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The light does nothing for me.I would have liked the Tv to be all black.I find the silver part around the screen irritating.Seen Batman with light off.The number of stars in that
    movie was unbeliveable.