Ambilight - how much wall?

rikki2ks

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am considering getting a Philips OLED. I currently have a 55 inch TV as pictured but wonder if there's enough wall for the Ambilight to work as effectively as it would if I dropped down to 48 inches?
It's a direct stand off between screen size and the lights atm.

What are peoples experiences and thoughts pls?
20220210_194543.jpg

Not really sure of the logic in reducing the screen size to get Ambilight, surely you are better off sticking with a 55” screen and then you also get the choice of whatever manufacture you want.

IMO. It's a complete gimmick and is just distracting. It might be fine when gaming but not for TV or movies.

IMO. It's a complete gimmick and is just distracting. It might be fine when gaming but not for TV or movies.
I do all 3 but in order of
TV, Movies, Gaming. Cheers for the advice, appreciated.

Not really sure of the logic in reducing the screen size to get Ambilight, surely you are better off sticking with a 55” screen and then you also get the choice of whatever manufacture you want.
I get what you mean. I was originally looking at LG CX or C1 55inch.

I then took a fancy to the ambilight. It's by no means a done deal....gauging what people who have it think and if the wall space i have around the 55 inches is enough.

Like the others say its your take on it. Have to admit that is one of the lowest wall placing of a TV I have seen in a while. Not sure if I'd get neck ache from sofa to look down rather than up at it. But, all to there own.

Like the others say its your take on it. Have to admit that is one of the lowest wall placing of a TV I have seen in a while. Not sure if I'd get neck ache from sofa to look down rather than up at it. But, all to there own.
A lot of people say that but it's dead eye level for sitting on the sofa so no looking up or down.

A lot of people say that but it's dead eye level for sitting on the sofa so no looking up or down.
So many people (including damn near everyone i know) mount their tv to the wall from a standing position then sit down and realise it's too high, then say it was intentional because of they move it they've got 4 big holes in the wall staring back at them, you done good.
With regards to ambilight not everyone thinks it's a gimmick, i personally love it, though i think with your tv location you'll lose some of the effect unfortunately, a flat wall would be preferable.
In my opinion there's no reason not to get a Philips oled anyway. They're competitively priced, they're great tv's and if the ambilight doesn't float your boat you can turn it off and still have a really good oled, I've had mine almost two years and I'm very happy with it.

So many people (including damn near everyone i know) mount their tv to the wall from a standing position then sit down and realise it's too high, then say it was intentional because of they move it they've got 4 big holes in the wall staring back at them, you done good.
With regards to ambilight not everyone thinks it's a gimmick, i personally love it, though i think with your tv location you'll lose some of the effect unfortunately, a flat wall would be preferable.
In my opinion there's no reason not to get a Philips oled anyway. They're competitively priced, they're great tv's and if the ambilight doesn't float your boat you can turn it off and still have a really good oled, I've had mine almost two years and I'm very happy with it.
The ambilight has changed now where there is no longer absent light in dark areas of the screen, so effectively black is now bright white. I would not recommend a Philips tv anymore over an LG.

The ambilight has changed now where there is no longer absent light in dark areas of the screen, so effectively black is now bright white. I would not recommend a Philips tv anymore over an LG.
It's still absent on my tv, also thought someone on here had been given a firmware from Philips that returns it to its usual operation on affected tvs, that usually means Philips will sort it out.

It's still absent on my tv, also thought someone on here had been given a firmware from Philips that returns it to its usual operation on affected tvs, that usually means Philips will sort it out.
Combined with their misleading specs for the 936 on 4k @ 120hz, I’m skeptical!

I have my 50" tv in the corner but quite a way into the room and it lights up the entire corner.

I was going to change to a newer model this year,maybe Oled but having read about the change in the way ambilight works that won't be happening now.
I love ambilight but not the way it works on new tvs.

Well having thought about it and taking into account advice I've gone with a 55 inch LG instead so no Ambilight thud time around!

Thanks for all your input 👍🏻

not true. i've recently pruchased a 70PUS9000/12 and with ambilight set to Game mode the dark areas of the screen are unlight by the ambilight. works perfectly and is the best ambilight setting for evening and night time viewing. when viewing sports i use the other settings to have light eveywhere. ambilight is a complete gimmick but i love it. its the main reason i bought the TV and i'm happy i did.

not true. i've recently pruchased a 70PUS9000/12 and with ambilight set to Game mode the dark areas of the screen are unlight by the ambilight. works perfectly and is the best ambilight setting for evening and night time viewing. when viewing sports i use the other settings to have light eveywhere. ambilight is a complete gimmick but i love it. its the main reason i bought the TV and i'm happy i did.

70PUS9000/12 ? typo error? ambilight behaviours will depend on tv model/firmware.

That’s not a model. I’m also thinking you haven’t updated to the latest firmware?

I am considering getting a Philips OLED. I currently have a 55 inch TV as pictured but wonder if there's enough wall for the Ambilight to work as effectively as it would if I dropped down to 48 inches?
It's a direct stand off between screen size and the lights atm.

What are peoples experiences and thoughts pls?View attachment 1651936
My thoughts are to try a cheap stick on usb led strip for behind your tv and place it right near edges as per ambilight placement. It'll guve you an idea of how the light will cast/fall.

If it were me I'd go 58" 4 sided ambilight Philips so its flush with your wall on the left/right and higher your tv up by a foot so you at least have top + bottom light being cast.

That’s not a model. I’m also thinking you haven’t updated to the latest firmware?
70PUS9006/12
I haven't updated to the latest firmware, I'll see what's available. Are you saying a firmware update could change the ambilight so dark areas are no longer dark? Sounds a bit sh!t if that's the case.

70PUS9006/12
I haven't updated to the latest firmware, I'll see what's available. Are you saying a firmware update could change the ambilight so dark areas are no longer dark? Sounds a bit sh!t if that's the case.
It's why I'm not updating my 754 despite one being available, on natural setting it's spot on and it's flippin' staying that way.

70PUS9006/12
Exactly.

my friends got the 75 inch one recently and I went around to theirs to watch the new Doctor Who specials - first time the tv was just projecting a steady pastel colors behind and it looked really nice. the following week he had turned on the setting to match the colors with what's happening on the screen and it was fantastic. its a gimmick but its also so much more than a gimmick . I wouldn't get a smaller tv just so I could have a nice light effect around it but if you have the space for a large tv with at least 20 cm around it, its a serious contender for your next tv

I have gone back on forth on Ambilight but finally bit the bullet and got a PML9008 55". It is in the corner and I think Ambilight is fantastic! I wish I had done it years ago. Now I just need to find the perfect picture settings.
IMG_20240302_171831.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom