Quantcast

Ambilight 50PUS8204 dilemma...

sshooie

Standard Member
Morning all,

I bought an 8204 a month ago from Currys eBay for £449 as my 1st Ambilight and must say I do like it although it has a couple of small niggles.

The sound sometimes goes and I have to change channel and back again to get it to work (even with no HDMI etc. connected)
Again on a couple of apps (my5 iirc) there is no sound.

I've updated the software and done a couple of defaults and it's better but still a bit 'glitchy'

So I opened a case to return and after a bit of too'ing and fro'ing eBay stepped in after Currys said I was outside my return period (I wasn't) and Currys have now said I can return it.

So my dilemma is looking around I'm struggling to see anything comparable, I really like the Ambilight as we mainly watch Netflix the lighting adds to the effect imo.

Do I keep the 8204 and ask Currys to fix it or do I commit to returning it and look for something similar (ideally sub £500 50')

The 8204 is back up to £599 on eBay with the 6754 and 6814 under the £500 marker now?

Idea's welcomed and thanks in advance

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
Morning all,

I bought an 8204 a month ago from Currys eBay for £449 as my 1st Ambilight and must say I do like it although it has a couple of small niggles.

The sound sometimes goes and I have to change channel and back again to get it to work (even with no HDMI etc. connected)
Again on a couple of apps (my5 iirc) there is no sound.

I've updated the software and done a couple of defaults and it's better but still a bit 'glitchy'

So I opened a case to return and after a bit of too'ing and fro'ing eBay stepped in after Currys said I was outside my return period (I wasn't) and Currys have now said I can return it.

So my dilemma is looking around I'm struggling to see anything comparable, I really like the Ambilight as we mainly watch Netflix the lighting adds to the effect imo.

Do I keep the 8204 and ask Currys to fix it or do I commit to returning it and look for something similar (ideally sub £500 50')

The 8204 is back up to £599 on eBay with the 6754 and 6814 under the £500 marker now?

Idea's welcomed and thanks in advance
If it was me, I'd keep it and get a firestick or similar to use with it - TVs built in apps are always on the iffy side.

sshooie

Standard Member
thanks, I must admit I'm err'ing towards keeping it as the spec (on paper) is OK for the price point and it seems I got it at a good price.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
thanks, I must admit I'm err'ing towards keeping it as the spec (on paper) is OK for the price point and it seems I got it at a good price.
I almost bought the same TV myself, but by time I convinced the wife they ran out of stock!
I'd imagine practically all TVs around the £500 will have quirks like some apps not running properly, sound drops and the like. I much prefer the interface of the Firestick to any TV I've tried, and it's fairly cheap to upgrade every couple of years when they bring out new models.

Last edited:

sshooie

Standard Member
Yeah, I've been through the list of Ambilight TV's and this is the best spec VFM wise. I have a Fire Stick at home so will have a play with that tonight.

Zebraten1

This is my second philips ambilight TV, which i have linked to other hue bulbs in the room. I have to agree with the above comment I use a roku streaming stick plus, for apps such as amazon prime and youtube as the playback is far superior