1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ambient light

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by forkbeard, Jun 30, 2005.

1. forkbeard

forkbeard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read the FAQ and searched in this forum first and (surprisingly) found nothing about this.

I was wondering if projector technology was yet to the point where there were reasonably priced projectors (a few grand) that could be used in a fairly well lit room. My 53" RP blew up and I'm looking to replace it. But this particular room is glassed in on 3 sides. The wife insists that whatever I replace it with be usable in conditions where she doesn't have to deal with closing shades and such.

I assume a projector is not for me based on these requirements, but thought I'd ask just in case :). Thanks!

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I few grand will enable you to buy a bright projector which will produce a decent image even in ambient light. But if you need something to work in daylight without any form of light restriction then a PJ isn't really the ideal choice. PJs thrive in dark conditions akin to a cinema.

Alternatively you could buy a decent TV for normal daytime / TV viewing and purchase a decent projector (1K or less) for DVD viewing at night....PJ :)

3. forkbeard

forkbeard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you've kept my hopes alive! decent in light should be good enough, ill throw a tube tv in one of the other rooms she can use to watch her silly shows. i'll RF the video and remote from the Tivo in the main room to the tube (it's already set up that way anyway to a different TV). That should HOPEFULLY be enough to keep her happy :).

now i just need to figure out which projectors are 'decent' :)

4. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I don't want to sound negative but if your room is surrounded by 3 windows and you've not got good light control (blackout blinds etc...) then I can't imagine a worse scenario for home cinema projection.

It will look like a horrible washed out mess.

Unless you can get some reasonable light control then I feel that you might be disappointed.

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    This kind of post proves that one man's washed out mess is another man's "spot on"...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1772950&postcount=2

I personally wouldn't watch in the daylight but I have seen many comment that they can get by. I would point out that the phrase was "ambient light" which is very different to sunshine streaming through the windows. I agree in any sort of good-ish light a PJ will struggle...PJ :)

6. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    You'd obviously be okay in the evenings, well when its dark. I would also recommend that for ambient light you look into getting a grey screen as this helped me a lot when my hc was in the dining room and i has some ambient light/serious light reflections.

7. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I've got four windows in my living room, which let in a lot of light. Also, as its a ground floor it wasnt too good for privacy. The next door neightbour pointed me to Tint Haus for the privacy bit, and for just over £200, they put this bronze film type material on the backs of the windows, which reflect from the outside but allow you to see fine from the inside, with minimal reduction in light.

A side effect of this, which i had never even thought about before purchasing, was that it now allows me to run my Sanyo Z2 (800 ansi lumens) on a bright sunny day without closing the curtains.

Worth considering

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    To be honest forkbeard, once your other half sees the PJ pic she'll be closing the curtains and asking you to break out the DVDs to watch a good movie.

I still delight at the look on people's faces when I fire up my PJ. All their preconceptions about fuzzy, dim images they've seen in pubs goes out the window! And the image will dwarf the size of even a 53" RP.

It's the only way to watch a DVD!...PJ :)

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,092
    If you want the picture to be as watchable as possible with ambient light, get a grey screen with gain. The Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision is probably the best value and you can make a frame and stretch/staple the material over it. You can get the material on its own from Cousinsvideo in the USA but it might be available over here too. Vutec do some grey material but I'm not sure of the gain. Retro is a Vutec dealer and should be able to help you with the info on the material.

A white screen with gain is the next best option but the base black level will not be there so the apparent contrast will be less as will the dark image detail.

Gary.