Amazon's Undone Season 1 Review & Comments

jakimp

thanks cas I was waiting for this so on the list

Slinkywizard

Looks weird and interesting and colourful and surreal. I'm in!

NYCFCFan

Are we in twilight zone ppl this is a total waste time .

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Cheers Phil, I'll give this a watch.

encaser

Distinguished Member
Weirdly compelling viewing. Once you get past the effect of it all and dive into just what's on offer because it's shot as is, it flows nicely between the 'real world' and imagined psyche that floats around.
But in fairness; I think some may be put off by the vocal tone of it all , with Salazar's Alma not being an easy ride.

NYCFCFan

Her voice should be used on assisted suicide no drugs required

bootyman81

Distinguished Member
Is this available in 4k/HDR ?
Never sure with Amazon because they make it near impossible to find

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Not that I could find. Watched in HD for the review, searched Undone 4K and Undone UHD and all it came up with was The Grand Tour.

Har-One

Distinguished Member
Not that I could find. Watched in HD for the review, searched Undone 4K and Undone UHD and all it came up with was The Grand Tour.
Prime has the worst search of all services. It might well be a 4K version but as said, searching for 4K material never returns the 4K version and trying to find it is as painful as having pins in the eyes.

Back to review, tanks for it Cas. I will give it a try.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
Watched the 1st episode - I found all the artwork fantastic, Ghibli-esque. But the facial animations are pretty distracting.
This 1st episode was obviously just background story filler, and not much of interest occurred, but it ended with a nice hook to see what happens next...

Hampy1972

Looking forward to this, on my weekend watch list. Something different....
Good vibes.

Garioch

I really enjoyed this and agree with the review that the rotoscope animation takes a while to get used to. However, the beauty of this technique is best showcased during the more supernatural or time-travelling elements. The charm would have been lost if the creators had opted for CGI.

The show took me back to 90's point 'n' click adventure games, in particular the Broken Sword series, largely due to a stationary camera that switches viewpoint when the characters leave the screen. At other times, the narrative almost flowed like a graphic novel thanks to the vivid, hand-drawn backgrounds. In fact, there are only a handful of scenes where the camera actually moves.

Furthermore, Undone is almost structured like a Satoshi Kon fable and is perhaps the closest reminder of his works that I have seen since his passing. That said, I would have personally liked to have seen the creators be a bit more abstract; certain scenes were over-explained and would have been better left for the viewer to interpret.

Overall however, this is a bold effort and is one of the most visually striking, mature and imaginative animations I have seen in recent years.