Amazon's The Vast of Night Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
thanks cas looks brilliant,on my watch list some point this week,trailer looks very Spielberg.

Thanks Cas, Popped it straight on my Amazon list :)

(Naturally, Amazon.de can differ greatly with Amazon.UK regarding Prime Movies, & some which are on .de are only released in German - The German is fine but I like to hear the actual Actor's voice - this one is included & has English as well. Hoorah!)

Cheers Cas.

Is it suitable for kids? Similar to Super 8?

I think it's similar to Super 8 in content but without the younger protagonists it might not be quite as involving.

I watched this and initially thought there was something wrong with the picture in 4K HDR, especially as most of the movie is set in the dark. But given the $700k budget it is a really good film, you have to like dialogue though - in some respects quite Tarantino like - george

Last edited:
Ta for that Cas. Another to add to the list...

I was full of gleeful anticipation to sit down and watch this, after having read amazing reviews of the film.
To be fair it is in places Ok and they have captured the 50s very well, but sorry to say, its really very boring, a 6 from me.

I mostly enjoyed this one. Sierra McCormick was superb, especially in her lengthy 10 minute long radio scene. But... it was clearly made for virtually nothing and it really, really shows. It would also have worked much better had it had a much tighter runtime.

Visually I can only assume the constant murk is there to hide the budgetary issues, but it became pretty tiresome after a while. Looked like the gamma was just flat out broken.

Cheers Cas.

It's nothing like Super 8. It's much more akin to a very long episode of the Twilight Zone made with a very small budget. There's virtually no action in it, just lengthy, rapid dialogue.

Considering the budget I thought it was good and really enjoyed it, did keep me interested to see it through to the end. Likely wouldn't watch it again though.

I have to say I really don't understand the rave reviews for this, a 6 at best for me. Great acting, but the overall story left me feeling let down. Plus as someone mentioned above, it's not exactly a 4k showcase.

Thanks for the review Cas,

Sounds right up my street! Another one for the watch list!

Just finished watching it & enjoyed the intimate feel; reminded me of a TV Drama from years gone by in its intensity & stillness. 8/10 for me, but that's because I like this kind of thing :)

Good review - but we'd already seen it and liked it so didn't need convincing! Excellent little film.

The only tiny "problem" I had with it was at times it felt like the director was trying out some cinematic tricks (roving tracking shot, long single take dialogue scene) but to be honest that was only a minuscule irk. :)

As always it depends; you'll know what they like and can be subjected to! It has a 12 certificate.

It's very talky (in a good way) so if they're expecting whizz bang sci-fi then perhaps not. And there's some F-bombs in there so that may also be a deciding factor.

Last edited:
It was well directed and good acting, but agree with some of the others, too slow and didn't amount to much in the end. Worth a watch, but disappointed based on the reviews that had hyped it up quite a bit.

after enjoying the last couple of seasons of Project Blue Book, I really enjoyed having some more paranoid 50's based UFO stuff to chew on.
I just got sucked straight in once they got into telling the story. I can see how some might not make it past the first 15 or 20 minutes, but I didn't have a problem with it myself. I'll watch it again

utter rubbish...sloooooooooow! 15 minutes was enough for me

Same here, turned it off after 10-15mins.
Wife watched one of her TV shows after that while I watched Kickboxer Retaliation in the Home Theatre, quite enjoyed my evening like that :p

Same here, turned it off after 10-15mins.
Wife watched one of her TV shows after that while I watched Kickboxer Retaliation in the Home Theatre, quite enjoyed my evening like that :p
Yes clearly I’m missing something here.....well we both quickly started snoring on the sofa but to be honest that’s not unusual these days 🥺. Picture quality was just awful on my display too so really it didn’t have much going for it for me apart from the bit where the camera was being whizzed around the fields to a bassy soundtack which must have been fun to film. Forgettable overall.

The only tiny "problem" I had with it was at times it felt like the director was trying out some cinematic tricks (roving tracking shot, long single take dialogue scene) but to be honest that was only a minuscule irk.
I've been Mulling over the Movie last night, & it did strike me that they could have made a couple of changes to the last Act to keep the whole with the same feel.
1) It doesn't make sense for Fay, having found the Babysitter and the Baby, then doesn't leave the Baby with the Babysitter while she goes running all over looking for the Aliens.
2) The lights in the Sky were nice & scary. Seeing the actual craft felt, to me, too "I want to do a Spielberg Close Encounters ending". I feel it broke the mood of unseen danger & they could have stuck with ending up in the clearing, Looking up to see the lights again,the wind getting strong & them holding each other, & then at the end the footprints / Recorder / grey dust piece.

I thought the direction and acting by everyone concerned was top notch.
If the budget truly was 700k it is truly amazing what the director and his team did for the money.
Glad I watched it as I will keep an eye out for the director in the future.
Some of the Hollywood big boys should be ashamed of themselves with the money they waste on mindless drivel.
The only directors I really look out for are Denis Villeneuve and Joseph Kosinski.
I will be adding Andrew Patterson to that list.
Thanks for bringing him to my attention Cas.

I found it an enjoyable watch, slow paced yes but gripping throughout.

I’m only seeing it as 4K ultra hd on my Philips OLED. Is that right or is it in hdr too?
I get other hdr movies on prime ok

Nice and different but unfortunately fails to deliver. But....
Anyone else think they didn’t get abducted but got incinerated. Pile of ash covering the tape recorder...the radio station was WOTW. Ring a bell. War Of The Worlds.
Or am I stating the obvious as everyone noticed?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom