Amazon's The Expanse Season 4 Review & Comments

Yes it was on The Other Ways To Watch through my Firestick TV which is 4K compatible although my TV only shows 1080p
I have not found any others series that let me do this on Amazon, only the expanse

Dumb question perhaps but is this one that you can jump in at Season 4 or would the general feeling be "why rush it, enjoy all the seasons"?

Why did i binge watch this as i will have to wait another year to see next series " duh"

Dumb question perhaps but is this one that you can jump in at Season 4 or would the general feeling be "why rush it, enjoy all the seasons"?

You would be better off watching the first three seasons. This is a saga, the events of this season follow directly on from the others.

Also, the first three are brilliant and well worth your time (you'll know if the show is for you or not within a few episodes anyway).

Why did i binge watch this as i will have to wait another year to see next series " duh"

Same. I'm debating starting the first season again, for the third or fourth time!

Thinking of starting this. Huge sci-fi fan, from the likes of star wars to proper sci-fi like ex-machina and cloverfield lane. I haven't seen a great sci-fi tv series since the first season of Battlestar Galactica.

Anything space related, I'm in. Worth me starting this?

This is hard sci-fi. The first series is a slog but sets up the rest nicely. And the rest are just the best sci-fi and drama on TV.

Its easily in the realms and reaches of Babylon 5 & Battlestar Galactica and that's high praise indeed.

Frankie Adams in lycra is always a Go Go Go :D:D:D

Frankie Adams is a great casting - it would have been too easy to go with some skinny "Lara Croft" figure for the part of Bobbie - but Adams physically looks like she could cause you some serious harm.

Thinking of starting this. Huge sci-fi fan, from the likes of star wars to proper sci-fi like ex-machina and cloverfield lane. I haven't seen a great sci-fi tv series since the first season of Battlestar Galactica.

Anything space related, I'm in. Worth me starting this?

Yes - definitely.

Up to about episode 7 I think and it has the feel of a show that's trying to get its feet on the ground so to speak, which makes sense given the major behind the scenes changes that have occurred since S3. Feels a bit visually confined and restricted to me so far despite the scope of the story it's trying to tell. Not wowed or excited by the setting or story involving the main characters, but I haven't seen the season out so perhaps that will change. All a bit meh so far.

Also cannot bear much more of Avasarala. Her haughtiness and forced use of profanity are wearing thin. Hopefully the OPA airlock her soon. Edit - Not a massive fan of the actress playing her either. She was okay in small doses in 24. Her voice is like nails down a chalkboard as well.

Edit - Oh yeah, one thing from perhaps the most recent episode that I watched that was eye-rollingly bad was the wee girl
being in charge of setting up a tug between the ships in orbit. Relay those instructions to an adult *** not some kid that's been in space for about two minutes.

Last edited:
Finished it at the weekend. Lots to enjoy. Good. Competent. But my least favourite season all told. Less forward momentum, a lot of jogging on the spot, less intrigue, and some of the best characters under-utilised. I understand from a friend who has read the books that 'Oh, it's THAT one, is it – yeah, that one just sort of dawdles'.

This is still a brilliant show, and it makes mincemeat out of most other sci-fi series. However, in terms of The Expanse versus itself, versus its other seasons, this for me was a bit of a downswing.

Frankie Adams is a great casting - it would have been too easy to go with some skinny "Lara Croft" figure for the part of Bobbie - but Adams physically looks like she could cause you some serious harm.

Yes - definitely.
Touch'e dude, can do some serious damage with those thunder thighs. :D

I started season one recently and can't get into it at all. :(
I know you shouldn't let little details bother you but Jared Harris's accent is hilarious, I can't take him seriously.

Maybe I should give it another go, everyone I know loves it and I've read rave reviews.

I know you shouldn't let little details bother you but Jared Harris's accent is hilarious, I can't take him seriously.

Maybe I should give it another go, everyone I know loves it and I've read rave reviews.

I didn't get into it for quite a while. I gave it one shot, didn't like it, was assured it gets really good, so went back, re-watched episodes I'd already seen from start, gave it my full attention. It's worth it. All the Belters have that accent – you get used to it, and once you do it stops being a bother.

Really love the show, but the aspect ratio device to denote new terra scenes vs our solar system is driving me nuts. I’m watching on a 2.35:1 screen and new terra bits are approaching postage stamp size, but I cannot have it full screen as it switches back so often. Arrrgghhhhh.

Really love the show, but the aspect ratio device to denote new terra scenes vs our solar system is driving me nuts. I’m watching on a 2.35:1 screen and new terra bits are approaching postage stamp size, but I cannot have it full screen as it switches back so often. Arrrgghhhhh.

I can't access that feature on my 2017 4K TV, but many, including TV reviewers rave about showing different aspect ratios for Ilus and SOL (our solar system). They love it as its meant to portray just how alien they are to one another.

Most unhelpful comment of the day: This is why I chose a 1.9:1 screen. Best of both worlds. Absolutely perfect for variable aspect ratio. But yeah, if I was 2.35:1 like you, I would find it annoying. As it is I kind of love the transitions between ultrawide and full screen.

Most unhelpful comment of the day: This is why I chose a 1.9:1 screen. Best of both worlds. Absolutely perfect for variable aspect ratio. But yeah, if I was 2.35:1 like you, I would find it annoying. As it is I kind of love the transitions between ultrawide and full screen.
For clarification I take it you mean yours?;)

EDIT miss hitting a key, whoopsie :laugh:

Last edited:
I like the show, prefer season 3 to 4. Not gone near books as I don't want to know in advance the plots.

Amazon should bring back Dark Matter TV series back up. Also Colony TV series and Salvation TV series.

Yep, I get the creative decision. I must rewatch an episode on my regular 16:9 TV to see what the experience is like there. It just doesn't work when you've got a proper setup 😉

It's strange at first, because the Belter patois is so...odd initially.

I watched S1-S3 while my second child was keeping me awake a fair bit and really enjoyed them. So much so, that I started on the books to advance the plot as much as I can. It's fantastic.

S4 merges some aspects (and changes some) of book 5 also, but all I can say is this: book 4 was fantastic and I am 70% of the way into book 5 and the plot seems to go nowhere at first and then there's a mic drop you won't expect. It's properly epic. That's going to be a good one on S5!

For anyone wondering, Avasarala swears an awful lot more in the books, with some much more creative uses of profanities. "Realising you've got sh!t on your fingers is the first step to washing your hands", is a personal standout!

"Always good to have a penis in uniform in the room".
"Try not to put your d!ck in this. It's fncked enough already".

etc... not all her golden lines involve swearing, but the TV show is definitely toned down!

I love the Avasarala character as she doesn't give a shit what in her mind is the right thing to do, and doesn't give a fig who she says or does it to. But I think Amos is the deepest character.

I love the Avasarala character as she doesn't give a sh*t what in her mind is the right thing to do, and doesn't give a fig who she says or does it to. But I think Amos is the deepest character.
He certainly has the most internal conflict and turmoil; the books are good in this aspect, as they can narrate his internal thought process. He's definitely a great character and I think his perception skills are top notch.

I love the Avasarala character as she doesn't give a sh*t what in her mind is the right thing to do, and doesn't give a fig who she says or does it to. But I think Amos is the deepest character.

Amos is great. I didn't really have that much appreciation for him until I started reading the books, but he's been through a lot and despite been a ruthless killer cares deeply about his family (the crew) and would do anything for them.

I watched a good interview with Wes Chatham last night, by Adam Savage. Chatham couldn't be any more different, a complete extravert!

I need to pick up the novellas, apparently The Churn fills in a good amount of backstory for Amos.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom