Amazon's Suspiria Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
:( two reviews this week I've disagreed with Cas. What's going on??

I absolutely adored this movie. In some ways more than the original. Playing spot the Tilda Swinton was good fun too :laugh:

The autoplaying videos are getting a bit annoying.
Mine don't auto play - had a look in settings and don't see a way to toggle that on or off, but very grateful they don't - I can imagine how annoying that would be!

Perhaps it's the mobile browser I use. I have whitelisted this site on my adblock but I'll have to rethink that decision I suppose.

I'm on my Computer viewing via Safari & also have this site whitelisted, so yes I guess it could be a browser/mobile thing

I absolutely loved this apart from the main end scene where I thought the FX looked bad and the music didn't really match the tone. I thought that the main dance scene was excellent! This film is an 8 or 9/10 for me.

The reviews states there is no 4K disc release and this is an Amazon prime exclusive, well that may be the case in the UK but there is a 4K UHD physical disc release in Germany for those wanting the full fat UHD experience.

I have to disagree too. I loved this.

Admittedly it's not a patch on the original, but I was surprised by how good this was.

An 8 from me.

I'm in the loved it camp too. I thought this was excellent, absolutely riveting, I wasn't bored for a single minute. A genuine sense of dread through the whole thing, it was definitely 'creepy' right from the beginning.

I knew about Swinton's multiple roles, but my wife didn't and never even guessed, and I found it easy to forget the make up after a short while - she is just that good.

I know a lot of people seem to like the original, but I always found that too cheesy and very simplistic. I definitely don't consider it a 'sacred text' like The Exorcist or Psycho, where it is impossible to consider any remake being possible to top the original. This one does what a good remake should and the director uses the original as an inspiration, but definitely makes his own movie which doesn't attempt to replace the original and stands on it's own.

9/10 for me, one of the best movies I have seen for a long time.

Art for art's sake covers this and agree with Cas's comments.
It gets far away from what I would've assumed to be the original intent. I had hopes for this after hearing the soundtrack from Thom Yorke but it's a jumbled mess of supposed interpretation and just like much poetry, it left me believing at least one of us had wasted our time.

I saw this at the London Premiere, where Dakota Johnson, Tilda Swinton, Mia Goth and Luca Guadagnino introduced the film. Had no idea what to expect (haven't seen the original - please don't hate me) and I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to rewatching it in 4K.

Started watching this last night. I'm so confused. It is like the Director wanted to make a film about the Berlin Wall and the studio would only stump up the cash for a remake of Suspiria.

I can't say if I like it or not yet, I'm still on the fence. But it isn't what I was expecting at all after the trailers.

Looks bloody gorgeous though... like something Borowczyk would have shot.

Excellent, been wanting to see this so if it's now on Amazon even better :thumbsup:

Thanks Cas,
I going to have to watch this now as we have 6-10 scoring with members.

I have a feeling this is going to be another “The Neon Demon”, looks great but really disappointing (@lucasisking I will try it again when in the right mood, I recall you loved it) .

Thanks Cas,
I going to have to watch this now as we have 6-10 scoring with members.

I have a feeling this is going to be another “The Neon Demon”, looks great but really disappointing (@lucasisking I will try it again when in the right mood, I recall you loved it) .

I really liked Suspiria but it definitely needs another watch. Looks great too but nowhere near to the same level as The Neon Demon (or, so I hear, the original Suspiria).

Bonus this popping up on Amazon. Missed it at the cinema and was just going to purchase the Blu when cheap. No need now.

Bonus this popping up on Amazon. Missed it at the cinema and was just going to purchase the Blu when cheap. No need now.

Eh? It is an Amazon movie. I'd say the 'bonus' was it being on at the cinema at all.

Eh? It is an Amazon movie. I'd say the 'bonus' was it being on at the cinema at all.

Yeah I didn't realise, so I wasn't expecting it to become available on there. As I already pay for Prime, it saves me some extra pennies on a rental or purchase.

Finished this last night. Phew! That last half was pretty rotten.

The first half plodded along but it looked gorgeous and I liked the uneasy tone to the proceedings.

But by the end I was convinced it was all a bit of a shambles.

Absolutely loved with Guadagnino did with Suspiria. It's like him and the writer made the opposite film of the Argento classic, but they also made a masterpiece. Clearly relishing having a period time setting with it's brutalist locations and constant reminders of the divisions in Berlin (not just the wall, support or opposition for Baader Meinhoff, generational tensions, etc.), this was a horror film unlike any we've had a good while. Not just scary by heartbreaking. Still shocked that they incorporated all the Three Mothers stuff since that's from the second film in the franchise, Inferno.

While i saw this at the UK premiere i left the cinema feeling a bit enthralled & dare i say it slightly disjointed but i was also deeply touched all at the same time something i hadn't expect from a remake of an Argento movie especially this one, it's a film i think that requires several viewings to truly unravel as there just so much in it as noted above in Jessica Noir post, but i will be picking up a blu ray when i find the right release for my collection.

(Jessica Noir yes the three mothers being in the movie totally blew me away, is this a spoiler i don't know) still i guess it also depends if you have seen Argento's 2007 The Mother of Tears "The Third Mother";)

But hell yes i enjoyed the movie on many levels.

i will be picking up a blu ray when i find the right release for my collection.

If you're not fussed about packaging and extra gubbins, the US release was pretty cheap on wowed.co.uk. I picked it up from there for just over £14. It contains a soul-shaking Atmos mix.

Man, that UK premiere must have been an experience!

If you're not fussed about packaging and extra gubbins, the US release was pretty cheap on wowed.co.uk. I picked it up from there for just over £14. It contains a soul-shaking Atmos mix.

Man, that UK premiere must have been an experience!
Unfortunately i am not multi region unless its region free but extras would be nice.

Experience indeed yes it was as i was with 3 Italian life long Argento's fans they had a lot to say after & not all good as two disliked, one was well that wasn't what i was expecting but on the fence but all agreed it needed another watch.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom