1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazon's marketplace - any good for bargains?

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by partyweb, Sep 1, 2005.

1. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    I have seen recently on amazon marketplace some bargain prices for DVDs from reputable sellers even though they are selling it more expensive elsewhere.

eg.
    Taken (6 disk set) RRP £49.99

dvd.co.uk (own site): £13.99
    http://www.dvd.co.uk/product.asp?id=8300102

dvd.co.uk (via amazon marketplace): £8.98
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/detail/offer-listing/-/B000088T1K/new/ref=sdp_newd_h_/026-6915414-8845252

:confused: How can they do this? Is it a bit more risky dealing with amazon marketplace? Am I missing something here?

2. Sick Boy

Sick Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    No risk as Amazon deal with the transaction.

Purchased plenty on marketplace. Maybe some people feel safer knowing that Amazon are dealing. As far as im aware DVDcouk trade on ebay as well.

All about getting different customers in different places.

3. CeeGee

CeeGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget that with Amazon Marketplace you have to add post and packing, but the only problem I've had with Marketplace is traders advertising items they haven't got, and wasting your time. DVDco.uk should be OK

4. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    :thumbsup: from me too, used it a fair few times for films and music with no problems at all. Got a subwoofer for half the 'online' advertised retail price as well.

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I had the Taken boxset from dvdco.uk thru amazon marketplace for
    £10.24 inc post. Fast delivery, no problems.

6. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The only thing to watch out for is sellers who's purchase through the AMAZON system supposedly fails, they then contact you and ask you to pay direct.

I found something the other day for a low price but the amazon price was 10% of the value with 'contact me via xxx@earthlink.net if you wish to purchase'. 2 days later still with no actual items to sell, (as I do not believe the item in question released yet), and the seller has 3 good reviews, very odd.

That said I'm sure most marketplace sellers are good.

Steve

7. AV Newbie

AV Newbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I got some very good value poker DVD's on there. I've personally had no problems with it.

Cheers.

8. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    As pointed out many times before, Amazon Marketplace purchases are only valid when purchased through the Amazon payment system.
    Never pay anyone any other way for any reason.

9. leapfrog

leapfrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have bought quite a few dvds from amazon marketplace, most have been fine but I have had a couple of bootlegs (I did get refunds for them though).

Particularly R1 titles, beware of things like a seller saying things like unwanted gift, but then selling many copies of the same dvd, all saying they were unwanted gifts.

You can find some great deals though and buying from DVD.CO.UK through marketplace is as reliable as their normal webservice :thumbsup: .

10. sollas001

sollas001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've bought Reg 1 (USA) films and International CDs via UK Amazon - you can search under Reg 1 to see what is there. Caiman seems to be a good name for this.

Quick delivery - under 1 week and cheap post - only around same as UK Amazon price for a small order ?£1.40 or so from the States - which rivals dvdpacific as you have to buy 2 there to get under amazon UK postage rates.

French and German items can be had from their amazon.fr and .de sites and the postage charges are really close to cost - unlike ebay which can be wild to avoid higher paypal fees.

I ordered French marketplace films and had quick delivery and am confident in ordering with amazon compared to ebay on my past buying experiences. As with everything, shop around for individual items and use a search engine like dvdprice search or happyhunter (all DVD regions).

Marketplace, like ebay, is good for rare or deleted items,too.

11. Aretak

Aretak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I picked up the uncut R1 DVD of The Matrix on there for 25p + P&P recently. Well worth it for the commentary and isolated score which are missing from the UK disc (as well as the uncut status).

12. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Beware on different versions....I've mainly had this with CD's where it is advatised as a double disc, or special edition and they turn up as the standard single disc. Sellers typicaly say "Oh i didn't know the difference" even though it has barcode, track listing yada yada....I've had it a couple of times....sometimes they say you can return for a refund, but then your outa pocket on postage/hassle etc.

13. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely the burden of costs should be on the seller if they are selling something different to what it should be especially since knowingly or unknowingly they've made the mistake in the first place.