Amazon's Homecoming Season 1 Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Agree Cas, I am half way through and really enjoying it. Great direction and oddly shot (smeared top/bottom of frame) adding to the suspense (along with the soundtrack).
For those looking for the 4K version, it's at the bottom of a very long scroll down the Amazon app on WebOs - I really wish they would promote their UHD content.

Last edited:
Definitely chalk and cheese. Typical Mr. Robot stuff here with all the mental game play, bouncing around time with frequent jumps to then and now but with those oddly chosen aspect ratios in reverse to unsettle the norm.
Style was obviously a big thing here and whether that appeals or not will be viewers choice along with those sounds.
It certainly will test patience with a mystery set upon mystery and characters that may have the viewer wondering what all the fuss is about and why are they playing things so close to their chest when it appears a straight forward answer would suffice.
However this should all be expected from those behind the scenes and if Mr. Robot, constant flashbacks and mind games aren't your bag then you'll likely hate this with a passion - or at best, go Meh! after episode one.

I do like that’s it’s different/fresh compared to a lot of content and nice to have a quick 30 min ep. The ratio is a great idea compared to the usual cooler pallets for the future and sepia for past.
Haven’t figured out why the blurred top/bottom of frame - was that present with older cameras ? I like it though as it focuses you more, bringing you into the picture.
I wonder if this appeals more to older viewers who have seen more 70/80’s thrillers/shows?
It’s style is really winning me over (even though it’s set in present day) and the aged soundtrack is connecting pathways in my head from long ago :) ... I’m sober ... honestly...

Glad to see Amazon taking a risk too as it won’t appeal to all, same goes for their other show Patriot, once again, it’s unusual, beautifully shot, great cast and very funny (very dark humour).

I didn’t realise this was coming... I really enjoyed the podcast but it’ll be hard to watch it without David Schwimmer as her boss.

Glad to see Amazon taking a risk too as it won’t appeal to all, same goes for their other show Patriot, once again, it’s unusual, beautifully shot, great cast and very funny (very dark humour).
Yes, 3 days buddy.

3 episodes in now and I'm intrigued. Quite a lot to process with quick sharp episodes.

Love Bobby C's character. Very mysterious, and in episode 3 I wasn't even sure
that family was his.

Looking forward to getting a few more watched tomorrow if I can.

Sunday viewing and I quietly enjoyed this, short episodes makes for quick and precise viewing.
Pretty mainstream now that A-listers are moving over to the power of producing and starring in a good tv show. This once was looked down upon by them but now they understand you can highlight and show your talents more than just a 2 hour film.
Julia is right on Q in this quiet but yet powerful story about playing a shrink trying to help war vets with their mental state via the use of drugs. The box screen to highlight the future tense was a clever idea.
Nice twist at the end and sort off bittersweet.
It could have been better but it could have worse too.
Think you will enjoy it and for me Colin upstages all in every scene he is in...
Thank you Mr.Robot and our main man Mr. Cas!
:)

Watched 6 episodes now. And I have to be honest, whilst I'm still intrigued I'm not feeling enthralled.

Seems to have stalled and is now just about getting to the final episode. Looking forward mind to seeing that still, but not with the same level of anticipation I was.

Good that it can be developed further however as a 2nd season is already sorted. So that's encouraging.

I felt the same after 6 Rich (think there was only one weak ep), it does pick up a wee bit. I was riding with a 9/10 up to ep 6, but agree 8/10.

Glad to see Amazon taking a risk too as it won’t appeal to all said:
I really loved Patriot, I found it to have such a refreshing storytelling style, not your usual American pap.

As a fan of the podcast, it was odd not to have the same actors play the roles, but really enjoyed this and thought Julia Roberts was great as Heidi. Presume that the choice of aspect ratio and blurring was
to reflect that there was something missing in the present

Boxed this off last night. Whilst enjoyable and with a nice ending, it really wasn't anything special for me. I'd give it a 7.5/10.

Some very nice touches though I admit. Enjoyed the old school conspiracy feel - the music in particular was spot on. Also liked the play on the aspect ratio and how it altered in the final episodes. Some good perfomances too - great seeing Sissy Spacek on screen again. Julia Roberts and Shea Wigham were good value, but as always it was Bobby Cannavale who stole the show.

I thought it wrapped up well - and not sure we need a Season 2. The post credits scene obviously teased a little more, but it still felt complete. And given that Esmail is currently embarking on his ending to Mr. Robot, I guess it will be at least 2020 before we see anymore of this.

Given the short episodes - which made such a refreshing change to things I normally watch - I will likely run through it again at some point. See if there's anything I missed. But it's not really lingering in the memory, and I wasn't that excited by it all if I'm honest.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom