Amazon's Alex Rider Season 1 Review & Comments

good review and I agree a pretty solid 8 - I watched it over 2 days - liked it and could definitely watch another season or two

picture quality was very good in 4K HDR and the 5.1 soundtrack pretty decent but it is surely time Prime made more of an effort with Atmos tracks

Watched the first two episodes last night and I thought it worked really well. The set-up is plausible and the pace seems just about right. I also liked the fact that, although the main protagonist is a teenager, it manages to be quite adult in its tone and pacing. Definitely a solid 8.

Great review, fair and balanced. Mid way through this and really enjoying it. There is enough going on to keep me engaged and really well acted.

pretty good cast here too - some money has been spent here clearly - well worth sticking with it to the end

As a fan of the books when I was a teenager, I enjoyed it. Yes, the plot is a little bit ludicrous (no spoilers) but it was well-executed and managed to be fairly believable. Fingers crossed for a Skeleton Key season 2!

Thanks, this looked from the description and the poster on Amazon to be some kind of teenie thing, but will give it a go now following your review.

started watching this with my kids other night, all three of them are really enjoying this.

good review and I agree a pretty solid 8 - I watched it over 2 days - liked it and could definitely watch another season or two

picture quality was very good in 4K HDR and the 5.1 soundtrack pretty decent but it is surely time Prime made more of an effort with Atmos tracks
I could not find the 4k/hdr version on Prime. Strange

For those after ‘4k’ you no longer need to find a specific link for some of Amazons videos. If you play this on a compatible device it will scale up to 4K HDR as your internet connection allows.

I thought the picture was slightly dark in places but as soon as we went up to Mount Blanc it became much richer and the HDR really shone. Soundtrack was a little low budget, as was the whole production actually - it felt like it was slightly rushed through post production with some strangely long fade outs which I guess for a standard TV show might be where adverts would be placed.

Anyways, to the show itself - I loved it. I, like many, was a massive fan of the books and they really did a great job of getting the ‘feel’ right. Less gimmicky, more real life (despite the silly story). Bits of it played out differently from the book which was good too, although without spoiling it, the way Alex is taken underground in the school was far better in the books!

Anyways, 8 is a good score, I’d give it 8.5 if half marks were a thing! Thoroughly enjoyable and a really good family series that, whilst we’re in lockdown, can cover 4 nights of binge watching. We watched the first 2 episodes on day one and watched the entirety of the others the next day.

I could not find the 4k/hdr version on Prime. Strange
typical amazon it is there but not as easy as netflix - I found the HDR version on ATV4k, firestick 4K and the on board prime app on my LG B7 tvs - open the link and as said above i got HDR UHD on all my devices automatically

I thought this was HD/HDR? Anyway, only seen the first couple of eps and family are enjoying a lot, we'll be through the rest of the series over the next week or so.

If it is HD/HDR, it underlines how important HDR is whether it's UHD or not.

agreed on that - star trek discovery is HD HDR only and looks really good - but alex rider starts on my B7 as HDR HD and after about 40 seconds shows as HDR ULTRA HD

probably varies on display, device and broadband speed

agreed on that - star trek discovery is HD HDR only and looks really good - but alex rider starts on my B7 as HDR HD and after about 40 seconds shows as HDR ULTRA HD

probably varies on display, device and broadband speed
We are next to our BT exchange so get a solid 80/20 with 4ms ping times or thereabouts - pretty much instant UHD on Amazon... it's great :p

I enjoyed the first episode, and will continue to watch the rest. Like others have said, it automatically switched to UHD on my B7.

But I do wish Amazon flagged 4K content in advance - I'd be more likely to take a punt on an unknown show if I knew it was 4k...

I'll check with the next episode

It’s definitely UHD/HDR.

LG C7:

F0ED481E-2FC0-4539-9607-5675DDBF542E.jpeg

The Prime app on the C7 has the HDR tag on the episodes information card, whereas on the new app on the C8 you no longer get any information in the playback bar and there’s no HDR tag in the title card.

Typical Amazon mess.

Anyway it looks and feels a bit Spooks “British spy drama”. Enjoyed the first few, but it’s obviously a bit light on budget.

Alex Rider isn't listed as HD or 4K only HDR.

When I started watching it on B7 OLED, HDR flashed up. It started as 1080 HD and after a 40 secs or so it went to Ultra HD HDR.

Sound is Dolby Digital +

Episode 1 is enjoyable. I'll continue with the rest of them.

Nice touch in episode 2.

Morrisons Bacon Rashers :)

You don't get that is US productions. Ha ha.

I enjoyed it a lot. Not a great mental challenge but then most of the time TV should be about light entertainment. But it was well made and very well acted. Never read the books but I hope they make another series

Yes I thought pretty good as well especially the last few episodes. I have heard of the books but never read them. Doing a bit of research there seems to be loads of books so quite a bit of material to base other series on which I hope they do - george

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom