1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazon won't take back faulty Toshiba SD220e dvd

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Arbolancha, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Arbolancha

Arbolancha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone,
    IAs some of you will be aware, I have had some major issues playing Video CD's on my new Toshiba SD220E unit. These Video CD's are both commercially purchased and those that I produced myself and as they work perfectly well on my other 3 DVD players and I have the latest software version 1.5 the system seems to be failty.

I contacted Amazon to ask for a replacement and here is the reply they sent me:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us at Amazon.co.uk regarding your order
    026-2456885-9866012 for 'Toshiba SD220 Multi-region DVD Player'.

I have looked into this matter and found that we are unable to accept the return of this DVD player as per our electronics returns policy.

To view further information online about our returns policy, please
    visit our Help Desk at the following link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/502480/

The DVD player purchased is not manufacturer by Toshiba to play
    VCD's, and this is reflected on our website.

I am sorry for any inconvenience this cause and in the mean time,
    please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any further
    queries.

Warmest regards

Sukhy Dhillon
    Customer Service
    Amazon.co.uk
    ================================================================

Apparently it is not designed to play VCD's although it clearly states on both the amazon review of this unit, the Toshiba site and also on the box that it can play VCD's is indeed is designed to do so?

Does anyone have any input here on what I can do in the UK to either get my money back or another unit. It seems to me that they are breaking the trade desciptions act amongst other rules.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Speak to you all soon.

Best Regards

Gary

2. Bogside

Bogside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    I'm not particularly aware of 220e spec so it appears there are two possibilities.

1. If the spec doesn't say it will play VCD's then you don't really have a case here.

2. If it does say it will play vcd's, or if the amazon website says it does (even if it doesn't) then there is either a fault or this is misrepresentation and breach of contract. If this is the case then you should contact amazon again and state the facts clearly (trying to be as objective as possible). Keep a copy of all correspondence from both you and them. If you can get no satisfaction 9;) ) you would then have to pursue them through the small claims court. This will cost approx. £80 but you could sue them for costs and recover this.

Good luck

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Amazon are lying it seems. According to Toshiba

http://www.home-entertainment.toshi...popupv3/WEBR-5F7EBL?OpenDocument&action=frame

it is compatible with (quote)

Region 2 (PAL I/NTSC)
    DVD Video
    CD Audio
    CD Video
    CD-R/CD-RW
    MP3

Your next step is, I think, to contact Amazon again, with this link, and see what their reaction is. You have a reasonable expectation, I think, that the purchased item will do what the manufacturer says it will do.

4. Bogside

Bogside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    It could well be that some muppet at amazon doesn't realise a CD Video is what is normally called VCD!

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Well, yes, perhaps. CD Video is the proper term for a type of 5 inch CD which contains c 20 minutes of regular CD Audio, plus an FM Analog video track (c 5 mins) of the same technical type as that found on Laserdiscs. It was a short-lived phenomenon about 8 - 10 years ago and never found any mass-market appeal.

I'd be VERY VERY surprised if it plays one of these. Difficult to prove as they are about as rare as rocking horse sh*t.

So, in any case, yours isn't doing what Toshiba say it should.

6. Arbolancha

Arbolancha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just sent a reply to that email across a reply to Amazon. So I'll keep you all informed.

I also had a look again at the Box in which the unit was shipped Even this advertises the unit to play VCD's, so hopefully I should have a case here.

Thanks for your quick replies.

Cheers

Gary

7. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if that's the case then you do have a case, don't take no for an answer

8. Sheks

Sheks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Just as an addition to this thread my Tosh 510 also has difficulties playing VCD's. The VCD are ones I have burnt from home video. I thought I was burning them incorrectly but my old Sony S715 DVD player plays them perfectly.

The Tosh tries to play them but the picture breaks up and sometimes the machine locks completely requiring a mains supply switch off. Anyone else having this problem or is it just my Tosh 510?

Thanks

Colin

9. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my tosh 420 play every vcd i have. It also plays Every SVCD i have

How do you compile the vcd ?

what programs do you use, maybe I can help you make a working vcd.

10. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the side of my box, verbatim:

CD-R/CD-RW/VCD Playback
    MP3 File Playback
    Dolby Digital and DTS Compatible

Get a replacement or your money back, definitely does not do what it says it should.

The terminology for written correspondence (email, fax, letter) is: 'Not fit for Purpose' and another good line for your email 'Time is of the Essence' ie I will give you a reasonable time to sort this out. I generally give 14 days if possible I send an email followed by fax, they can't deny they never received yout instructions then.

Another point to consider is payment ie by credit card you should also be protected by them. if you don't get any joy from amazon get in touch with your credit card for a refund and let them fight with amazon :D

Hope it helps

Regards

7ThGuest ;)