Amazon used products and shipping costs

markie g

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was looking at purchasing some books for my son, often these can be as low as 1p used.

So i thought i'd buy a couple from a seller called "world of books", these books varied from 78p-£3 and postage was £2.80. I assumed i'd only have to pay delivery once, however placing 5 items in my basket and going through the checkout process the postage came to £14 alone.

Am i doing something wrong or is this simply the case?

Marketplace shipping prices are fixed by Amazon I believe & yes, they are per item. Although I see some booksellers are now offering free delivery on £10 orders. Maybe try contacting the seller & see what they can do for multiple orders? Although you may lose Amazon's protection in the process.

I presume this is like the old eBay trick of selling the item cheaply and upping the postage to save on fees.
If you bought 100 books @1p each ,all from the same seller you wouldn't really expect to pay £1 + £2.80 p&p

Looking at previous post, maybe not ;)

Last edited:
It's not an ebay trick - it is a rule laid down by Amazon.

In your case it benefits the seller but often it doesn't. I have had big hardback books where the seller could only charge me £2.80 but the package had over £5 of stamps on it.

On top of that the seller doesn't get all of it. Not only does Amazon charge them fees on the sale price but also on the fixed-price postage cost dictated by Amazon.

Cheers,

Nigel

I sell on Marketplace as part of my job and I have a flat rate enable of £3.48 but I'm fairly sure I have a basket price aswell. I'll double check.

EDIT: Checked and my items (not books or CD/DVD) are £2.99 per shipment with £.49p per item extra.

Amazon set a flat rate for all books/cd/dvd etc

AmazonSeller.jpg

Last edited:
I sell on Marketplace as part of my job and I have a flat rate enable of £3.48 but I'm fairly sure I have a basket price aswell. I'll double check.

EDIT: Checked and my items (not books or CD/DVD) are £2.99 per shipment with £.49p per item extra.

Amazon set a flat rate for all books/cd/dvd etc

View attachment 500337
Yeh this was what i expected to happen, in that additional items would have a smaller charge attached.

Don't know why this seller is doing it this way... after he would post them all together if i ordered at the same time. I could be annoying and purchase days apart so he posts individually.. but that doesn't really help me or him.. unless he makes the majority of his money via the postage charges.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony BRAVIA 9 Mini LED TV: The Best HDR TV EVER?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom