1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazon US and Region 1

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by villaceltic, Oct 5, 2003.

1. villaceltic

villaceltic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quickie ( and apologies if it's been covered).

Looking at Region 1 DVDs from Amazon.com (Finding Nemo for e.g.), they state within the details that the disk will PROBABLY not work in other regions. Are they just covering their backsides with a blanket statement on Region 1 disks or is it that I've just happened to be looking at ones that have some form of Region encryption that will prevent them from working on multiregion players? I have read about some studios encoding the disks in a way to make them unplayable in other regions - the fiends!

Cheers

Macca

2. Drunken Master

Drunken Master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yeah, Amazon are covering there backs.

There are a lot of cheaper options available than using amazon! check out the recomended retailers thread.

3. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This very rarely happens... if you do a search on here I am sure you will be able to find a list of all the films with extra (RCE) encoding on them. From the top of my head I remember that they were mainly Columbia Tri-Star title such as MIIB , Spider-Man & Hollow Man...

4. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Manly multi-region DVD player will cope with RCE anyway. You can normally find this stuff out on the web. RCE isn't exactly advanced protection technology, IIRC it asks your DVD player if it will play R1, it it says yes it then asks if it will play any other regions, if it says yes then it will refuse to play the disc.