Amazon (UK) and US imports

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
I ordered Tenet from Amazon US (via the UK site) on 4 Jan, with taxes pre-paid.
Dispatched a few days later. Expected this coming Saturday.
I looked at the tracking today and:
Undeliverable

Unfortunately, a problem occurred during shipping and we had to cancel your delivery. The package is being returned, and we will issue a refund within 5 - 7 business days after the return is processed. We’re very sorry for the inconvenience.
No further details given. I do note, however, that the same title no longer offers import fees pre-payment (as was the case with my order).

My suspicion is that Amazon Global have gone the same way as JB (Australia) noted elsewhere in this forum. Disappointed
a) that this is the case but also
b) that, unlike JB, Amazon weren't ahead of this and stopped their offer beforehand.

One less opportunity to obtain imports it seems.

I'd be very surprised if amazon don't resume imports soon enough, it'll probably take a couple of months for things to settle down and they learn how to jump through the hoops.

I fear the smaller companies may never return under the current regulations though :(

The EU Amazon sites have resumed accepting UK orders again, so hopefully the US won’t be far behind.

Amazon's in general are odd atm, an Amazon Spain order ,the money has come out of bank already and still not despatched and an Amazon Italy in stock item ordered 10 days ago still hasn't shipped. Then they cancelled the Hitchock 4K bargain 10 days ago yet the charge is still pending on my card.

I ordered the UHD of Zero Dark Thirty direct from Amazon.com on Sunday 10th and it’s dispatched and left California on its way to me with DPD being the courier so no probs (so far) for me

I ordered the UHD of Zero Dark Thirty direct from Amazon.com on Sunday 10th and it’s dispatched and left California on its way to me with DPD being the courier so no probs (so far) for me
How much did that work out at?

The EU Amazon sites have resumed accepting UK orders again, so hopefully the US won’t be far behind.
I ordered a blu from Amazon Germany at the weekend and would usually expect it in a day or two but they are saying two weeks. Hopefully just teething problems as they adjust.

I ordered a blu from Amazon Germany at the weekend and would usually expect it in a day or two but they are saying two weeks. Hopefully just teething problems as they adjust.

My Jojo Rabbit delivery from Germany was the same but came in a week although came via Italy and France for some reason

I have a couple of discs on order from "Amazon Export Sales LLC" (ordered via amazon.co.uk and shipped from the US).

One ordered 5th Jan, shipped 12th Jan and due 23rd, the other ordered 7th Jan, also shipped on 12th and due 27th. Tracking shows they've come from different warehouses using different couriers.

I looked at the tracking today and:

I had the exact same message a couple of months ago, for a completely ordinary order of some PC memory modules from the UK. The only explanation I could find suggested it may mean the package was damaged in transit by the courier. I got a refund a week later... never found out what really happened to my original order.

The title is still listed on both UK and US sites as available for shipping to the UK. It's references to import fee prepayment that has gone, to be replaced with a warning that taxes may be due on arrival. I suspect (without any proof) that it was the fact it was (supposedly) prepaid on my (now cancelled) order that has tripped them up; that whatever changes to UK import rules that have occurred make pre-payment impractical in some way.

I ordered Rita Hayworth - Ultimate Collection [Blu-ray] from amazon.com (Amazon Export Sales LLC) on 12 Jan for a grand total of $27.57 ($12.99 Blu-ray; $9.98 shipping and handling; $4.60 estimated tax to be collected (VAT @ 20%)). It shipped today (14 Jan) by LandMark. Fingers crossed. :)

The title is still listed on both UK and US sites as available for shipping to the UK. It's references to import fee prepayment that has gone, to be replaced with a warning that taxes may be due on arrival. I suspect (without any proof) that it was the fact it was (supposedly) prepaid on my (now cancelled) order that has tripped them up; that whatever changes to UK import rules that have occurred make pre-payment impractical in some way.
I’ve noticed that when you go into the Amazon.com checkout it’s VAT that is now charged instead of the import fee.

On their help page, it shows they collect 20% VAT for UK purchases, so I suspect this replaces the import fee as we’re paying the VAT upfront instead.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
My last order from Germany 6th Jan,arrived the 9th.

:)
Yeah mine turned out to be 4 days in the end despite their conservative estimate. Business as usual from Amazon DE and USA it seems.

There are also a lot of titles available on Amazon.co.uk via Amazon US, something I haven't noticed before.

Amazon US via Amazon UK

I haven't looked to see if there is any price differential between this "bundled" Sterling price and going via Amazon.com but it is an interesting development.

There are also a lot of titles available on Amazon.co.uk via Amazon US, something I haven't noticed before.

Amazon US via Amazon UK

I haven't looked to see if there is any price differential between this "bundled" Sterling price and going via Amazon.com but it is an interesting development.
That’s not new. Amazon has been doing that for years (see 1st sentence on OP).

That’s not new. Amazon has been doing that for years (see 1st sentence on OP).

Cheers. That'll teach me not to read the end of the story first

I think the reason I noticed is that they are now linking it from amazon.com if you have a UK delivery address, which I am sure is new..

Cheers. That'll teach me not to read the end of the story first

I think the reason I noticed is that they are now linking it from amazon.com if you have a UK delivery address, which I am sure is new..
No it’s been like that for years. It was branded as ‘Amazon Global’ before 1 Jan but you’ve been able to buy US Blu-rays (not the full range) from Amazon US via Amazon UK for years.

At least since January 2018
The Amazon Global Store on Amazon.co.uk shows products available through Amazon.com and sold by Amazon Export Sales where you can discover selection available from and sold by Amazon US without having to leave Amazon.co.uk.

No it’s been like that for years. It was branded as ‘Amazon Global’ before 1 Jan but you’ve been able to buy US Blu-rays (not the full range) from Amazon US via Amazon UK for years.
Yep and my latest purchase was the original BSG series which was ordered last Sunday and came yesterday. Very much business as usual.

Since Brexit I’ve been unable to buy anything from the Amazon Global Store via Amazon.co.uk, they don’t ship to Northern Ireland.

I get the typical message “This item cannot be shipped to your selected delivery location. Please choose a different delivery location.”

Kinda sucks.

So far so good, I ordered a boxset from Amazon.de Friday night, shipped Saturday and out for delivery today. Which puts HMV to shame, ordered 3 UHDs on Wednesday, shipped Saturday and may turn middle of the week.

I also ordered Kingdom of Heaven DE from Amazon UK via Rarewares and they seem to still be business as usual.

I have noticed that people seem to be able to pre-order WB archives Pump up the Volume at Amazon.com and yet every time I go to the site it tells me it is currently unavailable which is similar to what lots of non UK folks are saying about Amazon.co.uk preorders.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom