Amazon uk all round experience

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had experiece of buying an lcd screen from amazon? If so, any problems? What was customer service like? I've bought nothing bigger than an ipod from them previously so would be interested to know. I see they do a price comparison when you look at their prices on the site and got to say I thought their prices for the samsung range seemed pretty good.

Well if the Xbox 360, Xbox 360 HD-DVD, Wii etc etc fiascos are anything to go by I would say Amazon's CS is crap.

Personally, I've never had a problem and ordered loads with them. But you never really know what a company is like until you actually need their CS.

Ordered my Samsung on Friday at about 11am... it arrived next day at 11 am too...

Wonderful.

Really appreciate the responses everyone. Many thanks. Very tempted to get an lcd from amazon looking at their prices - just a bit nervous about something as big as a screen going wrong in terms of returning the item to them. I guess I need to look at their returns policy!

Ordered my Samsung on Friday at about 11am... it arrived next day at 11 am too...

Wonderful.

Pretty useless reply really. So they took your money and delivered it quickly? Big deal. Have you had dealings with Amazon when something went faulty?

A conman loves to take your money. But try and get it back if it's faulty!

Box shifters at best. Any customer service I had from them (most queries were ignored) came back in broken English, ignoring most of important points.
As it was only a collection of booxs and 10s of pounds concerned I eventually wrote it off, too much hassle.

When buying a telly, I'd rather spend 5% more and use a more helpful company.

Pretty useless reply really. So they took your money and delivered it quickly? Big deal. Have you had dealings with Amazon when something went faulty?

I think his point was that they have a good service in as much as they deliver the goods quickly. They coud take your money and take ages over posting it, but they don't, just because he never mentioned their customer service doesn't make the reply useless.

Unfortunately didn't take pics of this but it seems to me amazon have put the prices up on a couple of their 40" samsung lcds in the space of a day or two. Cold this be so they can take money off again for a new year sale?

I have been very impressed with how amazon handle returns. Only last week I returned a LCD monitor which was the wrong colour. It was advertised as black but arrived in silver.

The return was done through their website. I specified the reason and as it was their fault the refund included my special delivery charge (I had it delivered on Saturday morning) as well as the cost to return it to them. They even arranged for DHL to collect from my office again all done through the amazon and DHL sites.

Before that I returned a wireless keyboard that didn't have the range I needed and a USB Hauppauge TV device which had reception problems. In each case amazon paid all costs, no questions asked and with no contact with CS staff.

I returned a product via their website, they paid all costs and where very efficient, I would rate them as on of the better internet companies along with John Lewis.

If you can be bothered to do some sniffing buy from John Lewis & price match instore.
Usually you can get close to internet prices & then get the extra 5 year guarantee & JL service.
But most cant be bothered... :(

Amazon have always been good for delivery for me - never had to return though.

Who p*ssed in your cornflakes?

He asked about the all round experience. I think delivery time is a very important part of the experience. I don't want to be sitting around all day twiddling my thumbs waiting for a TV... when I order a TV and they say it'll be there before 1pm then I expect it to arrive before 1pm. Amazon did this, and it's the only time I've ever ordered something large online that has arrived when specified. Do you not think that is important? Have you seen some of the threads about Pixmania and their deliveries?

With regards to faulty goods... well, I know my rights and I know how to go about getting things sorted. If it was faulty I'd ask for a refund, I wouldn't even bother asking for a replacement as that's a can of worms... by law if the item is faulty (not fit for the purpose, not of merchantable quality etc) then you are entitled to a full refund... it is at their discretion as to wether they replace it or not... and this is where the can of worms gets opened (i.e manufacturers 'dead pixel' quota for replacements).

Also, people forget about the power of the letter, they expect to make a phone call and the 15 year old ont he other end of the line is going to get things to happen for you... if a supplier doesn't play ball you write them a letter... sounds simple but once your complaint is down in writing it becomes very hard to ignore.

But anyway... in short, there's no need for you to act the tw*t... my response was more than valid.

Never bought anything massive from them, but I have bought lots from them over the years and always found the service to be good.

Once I ordered 2 DVD's and one of them was wrong, I rang them and they said they would send me another one out and told me to keep the one I had for my inconvenience. Great.

Recently ordered a child's toy from them among other things. Ordered approx 20 November and the item was in stock. They emailed on 7th December saying they can't get any stock and it won't be delivered before Christmas.

Wrote them a scathing letter and got a £3 voucher.

Over two weeks to say they can't get stock of something that was in stock when ordered is really awful. I would never buy anything urgent from them.

That said, they do have some good prices - if you have patience!

Graham

I have been very impressed with how amazon handle returns. Only last week I returned a LCD monitor which was the wrong colour. It was advertised as black but arrived in silver.

The return was done through their website. I specified the reason and as it was their fault the refund included my special delivery charge (I had it delivered on Saturday morning) as well as the cost to return it to them. They even arranged for DHL to collect from my office again all done through the amazon and DHL sites.

Before that I returned a wireless keyboard that didn't have the range I needed and a USB Hauppauge TV device which had reception problems. In each case amazon paid all costs, no questions asked and with no contact with CS staff.

That really is reassuring to read - I've had more trouble changing a scart lead at currys!

Ordered a Samsung LE26R74BD from them, paid extra for guaranteed delivery by 1PM yesterday.....at 1.30PM yesterday it was still sitting in Amazons warehouse, hadnt even been picked up by the courier. I cancelled the order and am going to pay £80 more for the same set in Comet tonight-at least I can just walk in and get it. At 2am this morning the set was in Fife, god knows why as I live in Cardiff!

Could be because that's where one of their depots are?

I tracked mine and it went via Fife to london.

yeah but it was in fife 12 hours after it was supposed to be delivered to me!!!

Yeah. I wouldn't put up with that at all. If the same happened to me I'd tell them to keep it, refund my dosh and I'd go elsewhere.

Fair enough if you pay the extra for guaranteed pre 13:00 delivery but I have to say that Amazon have been fantastic on the few times I have needed to use their CS.

R

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom