Amazon UHD Music on Amazon Fire Tablet 8 to Dragonfly Black?

tele1962

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me being an numpty regarding all things Digital Audio can anyone help.
Using my Amazon Fire HD 8 Tablet connected to the dragonfly black to my amp, am I actually getting UHD music from Amazon. When I plug into my MacBook Pro using the Dragonfly Black it turns Magenta when using the tablet it is green. This is the information on the tablet:

E788682C-5A57-45E0-B0AC-D4027903BB61.jpeg

Last edited:
Turns out that these Amazon devices do not support (or at least the APP doesn't) Amazon UHD music. Unbelievable. o_O:facepalm::thumbsdow

Problem fixed, Amazon tech were brilliant I now have full UHD music when available. A simple factory reset fixed the problem on my Fire Tablet.
:oj:

For some reason the problem has returned, back to 16bit and on to Amazon tech last night for nearly 3 hours. I think they are bricking it as it seem to be a major problem.
Can someone with a Fire Tablet please install the Amazon music HD app and try playing an Ultra HD tack please, can you let me know what Bit rate you are getting (device capabuility)?

I notice you have an MacBook Pro, Why did you not buy an iPad new or second hand? that would have been more logical, then problem solved unless it has something to do with the app!. If it is in the returns period get a refund as it is not fit for purpose. I tried an HD fire last year but returned it within an hour or so of receipt, it was a load of pants and to me these are are what I call throw away tech!, and considering the Fire HD is cheaper than the Dragonfly Black says a lot. Really depends whether you want to continue contacting Amazon support or bite the bullet and pay more for your device and a happier life! as sometimes life is to short.

I notice you have an MacBook Pro, Why did you not buy an iPad new or second hand? that would have been more logical, then problem solved unless it has something to do with the app!. If it is in the returns period get a refund as it is not fit for purpose. I tried an HD fire last year but returned it within an hour or so of receipt, it was a load of pants and to me these are are what I call throw away tech!, and considering the Fire HD is cheaper than the Dragonfly Black says a lot. Really depends whether you want to continue contacting Amazon support or bite the bullet and pay more for your device and a happier life! as sometimes life is to short.

I purchased the Fire Tablet some time ago and have been very happy with it, it's portability and touch screen are exactly what I am looking for, I also purchased the Dragonfly Black and leads to connect it all up. Now as this is an amazon product that should be operating with an Amazon App why would I go to more expense and purchase an iPad. We are not getting what we eventually are going to be paying for so something needs to be sorted out.
I fail to see your point.......are you saying we should just let Amazon take our money and accept a not as advertised service??

So if someone can please try and help out instead of wasting time with pointless posts it would be much appreciated.

I purchased the Fire Tablet some time ago and have been very happy with it, it's portability and touch screen are exactly what I am looking for, I also purchased the Dragonfly Black and leads to connect it all up. Now as this is an amazon product that should be operating with an Amazon App why would I go to more expense and purchase an iPad. We are not getting what we eventually are paying for so something needs to be sorted out.
I fail to see your point.......are you saying we should just let Amazon take our money and accept a not as advertised service??

So if someone can please try and help out instead of wasting time with pointless posts it would be much appreciated.

Perhaps it would have been easier for me to say, You get what you pay for. It's just my opinion. Don't shoot the messenger!.

Sorry you have lost me again "you get what you pay for" ??

PS
The iPad we have belongs to the wife, the Mac book is not very practical for connecting to my HiFi and the fire tablet would do a perfect job if as I think is the the problem the Amazon App is at fault. So this is why I need to confirm this is happening on others.

Last edited:
Best quality Deezer, so via a Deezer HiFi account, is only capable of streaming CD-res 16bit/44.1kHz FLAC tracks (or 'HD' in Amazon speak), so not hi-res (or 'Ultra HD' as Amazon prefer to call it). May be you were thinking of Qobuz, which can supply hi-res tracks.

Best quality Deezer, so via a Deezer HiFi account, is only capable of streaming CD-res 16bit/44.1kHz FLAC tracks (or 'HD' in Amazon speak), so not hi-res (or 'Ultra HD' as Amazon prefer to call it). May be you were thinking of Qobuz, which can supply hi-res tracks.

No Amazon Ultra HD is 24bit, HD 16bit.

Not sure what you're saying 'no' to - I did say Deezer HiFi is CD-res, so not hi-res/Ultra HD. Which bit in my post contradicts 'Amazon Ultra HD is 24bit, HD 16bit'?

I was saying Amazon music can do Ultra hi res 24 bit tracks.

Yet again I ask myself why on earth did Amazon come up with their ridiculous streaming quality naming convention? Another good reason to boycott them I feel :)

Yet again I ask myself why on earth did Amazon come up with their ridiculous streaming quality naming convention? Another good reason to boycott them I feel :)
Not sure what you mean?

With the arrival of CD the Philips/Sony Red Book resolution of 16 bit/44.1kHz effectively became the de facto standard for consumer digital audio. Only bit depths/samples rates (significantly) higher than this standard have previously been referred to as High Resolution or Hi Res (HR) and all was fine. That is until Amazon in it's infinite wisdom decided that digital audio was like video and could be described in terms of 'definition'. So, in Amazon-speak we now have a Standard Definition which is undefined, High Definition which is only CD quality (16/44.1) and Ultra High Definition which is 24-bit depth. A classification system that I would suggest is deliberately set up to mislead the unwary.

Last edited:
I was saying Amazon music can do Ultra hi res 24 bit tracks.
Eek! 'Ultra HD' is just about acceptable only if Amazon is being mentioned at the same time; the phrase 'ultra hi res' isn't acceptable under any circumstance. :D

With the arrival of CD the Philips/Sony Red Book resolution of 16 bit/44.1kHz effectively became the de facto standard for consumer digital audio. Only bit depths/samples rates (significantly) higher than this standard have previously been referred to as High Resolution or Hi Res (HR) and all was fine. That is until Amazon in it's infinite wisdom decided that digital audio was like video and could be described in terms of 'definition'. So, in Amazon-speak we now have a Standard Definition which is undefined, High Definition which is only CD quality (16/44.1) and Ultra High Definition which is 24-bit depth. A classification system that I would suggest is deliberately set up to mislead the unwary.
But it seems pretty easy to understand to me?

Can someone please try this out on one of their Amazon devices preferably the Amazon Fire Tablet, it costs nothing and you can unsubscribe straight away............ before I loose the will to live. :suicide:😄

Many of us lost the will to get Amazon HD working a long time ago. Alas, Amazon don’t seem to care about making it work on even its own devices. That’s why you see so few threads here from Amazon HD users - other than the early ones where we noticed you’ll never get it to work in some scenarios.

It’s a pity, because all things being equal, Amazon would be my preferred service. But I just gave up in the end. Had Tidal and Qobuz trials working as they should in under two minutes.

We just need to know if it works on Amazon devices. It works perfectly on everything else. So yes exactly the same as Qobuz and Tidal and cheaper.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom