Amazon TV or Android box ?

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by grahamricho, Apr 20, 2017.

1. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi new to all this but a friend showed me his Amazon TV box he bought from ebay, i was impressed.
    I had a look on ebay and for half the price it seems i can buy an Android box ?

Which would you buy ? Why would you buy a Amazon TV box instead of the cheaper ones Android boxes ?

confussed !

2. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,455
    Because the Amazon box actually works?

A lot, but not all, of the cheap Android boxes, have lots of bugs, no support and no ongoing development. So if you do go ahead and buy one do your homework.

The Amazon Fire TV is a decent streamer but doesn't do the HD audio formats if that's important to you.

3. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi thanks is that hd formats through Amazon prime or other sources too? I read that it does 7.1 but with problems?

4. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,455
    It won't do HD audio from any source. Streaming sites like Amazon and Netflix only offer basic 5.1 or stereo, you won't get HD Audio on them at the moment AFAIK.

HD Audio is DTS-HD, DTS-MA, Atmos etc. The Fire TV 4K will do DTS and DD+ 7.1 but again you won't get them via Netflix, Prime etc.

5. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Many thanks, so is it the box that's stopping the hd audio or is it Netflix, prime etc that's not in hd ?

If I bought a Amazon Fire tv 4K how could I get hd audio? Would I have to install Kodi etc ? And then use other streaming sources ?

6. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Do you mean no matter what, I will be able to get 4K pictures on a Amazon Fire 4K but at the most DVD quality sound, not bluray sound quality ? Thanks

7. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,455
    It's both the streaming serviceand the box, the streaming services don't currently offer these formats due to the extra bandwidth that would be required to stream them.
    The box isn't capable of playing them regardless of source.

Yes, but that's only if you have blurays to rip. If you're relying on streaming services then it's moot as they don't offer anything better.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  8. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi yes I have blu Rays, so it's not the box at fault it's just the streaming services?

If you find a link on the Internet and its in hd audio and stream from it, it will come out in hd sound?

I've had a home cinema for many years and up dated he processor, power amps and speakers but always used my blu Ray to watch movies.

So just dipping my toe in the streaming movies.

So what better options is there than a Amazon Fire 4K ?

Thanks

9. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I looked at one on eBay and it was fully loaded? With Kodi 17.1 ?

10. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,455
    It's both. The streaming services don't offer HD Audio. The box isn't capable of playing HD audio regardless of the source.

THere's a lot of options. Nvidia Shield is the one most recommended on here. There are other options from Zappitti, MiniX and many more. The site also has quite a few reviews of media streamers

Reviews | AVForums

I'd avoid "fully loaded" boxes like the plague as they're overcharging you to stick stuff on it you could do yourself if you were so inclined, they're charging you to stick tons of stuff on it that doesn't work or you won't want and all these apps are using space and RAM and bloating your box with crap.
    I'd also note they are illegal and discussion of illegal streaming methods is not allowed on the forum.

11. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    The Amazon Fire TV 4K doesn't do DTS unless through Kodi. I wouldn't get too hung up about HD Audio formats. DD & especially DTS sound pretty good. You will need pretty good ears & very good speakers etc to hear any real difference.

12. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I bit the bullet and bought a Amazon Fire TV box.

I wanted the Kodi part and a bit disappointed with the quality of the sound and picture.

If I was going to do it again, I think I'd just stick with my Now TKV box.

Lots of the Kodi part is totally pointless, stereo sound and poor picture quality. It's like going back 20 years.

I have very good speakers, and amps so after trying to find audio nirvana it's all a bit of a down grade.

It's like buying a dodgy video from a car boot.

I will stick with buying blu rays, watching a dodgy copy seems to take the shine from the experience

13. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,455
    It depends upon the quality of the "dodgy" copy. It's stereo because it's been downmixed or streamed at that.

I rip my own blurays and play them back using Kodi and it looks no worse than playing them on my bluray player.
    If you're streaming some low bitrate copy off some illegal site or downloading a "full" 1080p rip that's 5GB, of course it's not going to look as good as a bluray.
    My untouched rips come out between 15 and 45GB, most in the 20-25GB range.

14. metalguru

metalguru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Never understood the point of the add ons. I want the best sound and pic quality. Not some dodgy copy

15. wedgehog

wedgehog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Just to be absolutely clear, I have the latest Amazon fire TV box and I put Kodi on it. I have a UHD Samsung TV and a Yamaha surround amp which supports DTS HD and Dolby HD.

I have spent many hours working with it and re searching and the facts are as follows.

Yes the Fire tv will play dolby 5.1 surround sound either direct from online streaming tv or films and through Kodi either online or from files on your drives.
    Fire TV will not play any DTS or HD sound. This is a failing of the Android software they use on it, anyone who claims to be getting DTS with a fire tv are being tricked either by their amp re encoding it or false indications.

Fire TV is dolby 5.1 only and can be a pig to set up and get it working, persevere and you will get it.

16. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    This is not true. Kodi can be setup to allow bitstream passthrough for DTS audio. I use Plex on the Fire TV 4K with the Plex for Kodi add-on & can play Blu-ray rips with a DTS sound track there is no transcoding & the DTS indicator lights up on my Onkyo receiver. This is 'normal' DTS not DTS HD or Dolby HD.

An alternative is to use MrMC (a Kodi fork without dodgy add-ons) which also allows bitstream passthrough for DTS audio but as I understand also does a lossless convert of DTS-HD to 7.1 PCM www.mrmc.tv

17. wedgehog

wedgehog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yes Kodi can be set up to give passthrough but what operating system is Kodi running on? Oh! Android!

I can set my Samsung UHD tv to DTS and the amp will show DTS when playing something in Kodi on Amazon Fire, but it's not true DTS its re encoded, not the dts soundtrack on the actual film

18. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    I think that you are wrong. Bitstream passthrough for DTS is exactly what it says 'passthrough' there is no transcoding which would make no sense anyway. With MrMC (not sure about Kodi) DTS-HD etc is converted to PCM but this is a conversion from one lossless format to another.

Please note DTS passthrough only works with Jarvis 16.1 not Krypton 17.1 as Kodi have dropped support for passthrough on Android if the device isn't adhering to official Android audio protocols.

19. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    When you stream a movie, it sometimes stops/freezes ? Does it buffer like a PC? Would it better to leave it ten mins and then play?

Or is it that my wi fi / internet is not fast enough? At the moment I have it in my cinema room.

I have it hard wired with cat 5 cable, but it goes from my router at front of house to a sonos zone player in kitchen then out of that and into cinema room to my Amazon Fire Tv box ? Thanks

20. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,455
    And where are you streaming it from?

Is it streaming from content you have stored on your PC or some dodgy website. If it's the latter it's most likely that it's due to the website.
    If it's the former then I'm unfamiliar with Sonos products so don't know if that's the issue.

I stream full bluray remuxes with no buffering.