Amazon Review - becoming more and more fake, seemingly endorsed by Amazon

silvercue

Distinguished Member
I have used Amazon since 2000. It is not perfect but very convenient and I am sure most of us use it. Over the years I have used the review system extensively to try to understand any issues of a product before I buy it.

In recent years we know some reviews are fake and paid for, but I have always thought this would be a low volume and possibly easy enough to work around by being able to tell more genuine reviews. I still think that. But there is a newer issue that, to me anyway, seems much bigger that that. And that is that Amazon are allowing companies and sellers, especially it seems with electronic goods from lesser known brands, to bribe buyers to leave 5 star reviews.

I have purchased a number of products now based on reviews only to receive really poor products with such an offer. Then on re-reading the reviews it makes sense. In fact a small number of reviews mention the offer (though I think they would not be allowed now). So, I proceed to put a genuine review up and then I am contacted by the seller and effectively bribed to remove and change to a 5 star review. The value of the offer to change the review (voucher or other products) effectively gave me the original product for free.

I complained to Amazon and got nothing back.

Now, after seeing the same issue on yet another product I left a 1 star review and Amazon are refusing to even post it because I mention that the product comes with an offer.

I guess they want these fake 5 star reviews as it may be the difference between buying from them and getting another product elsewhere.

Last edited:

Miss Mandy

This isn't a new practice and is one of the reasons I never buy from a third party on Amazon. If it's not Amazon themselves selling then I don't buy.

There's a thread in general chat at the moment about an Amazon ratings scam where sellers set up second accounts that they use to purchase gifts and send them to random accounts or addresses. As the second account has completed a purchase it's then able to submit a verified buyer 5 star review for the first account which artificially inflates their rating. This method seems to be getting more popular.

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
That's why I subscribe to Fakespot which attempts to analyse and rate reviews - and then gives its own revised rating. That way a 4,5 stars product may well be Fakespot-rated at 2 stars.

mikeysthoughts

It's the same with most reviews and ratings sites on the internet. Trust a Trader, Good Garage Scheme, Trust pilot, eBay seller ratings etc.

All of them are biased towards positive reviews, and remove a proportion of negative reviews.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
All of them are biased towards positive reviews, and remove a proportion of negative reviews.
At the same time (but probably not to the same extent) you do also get lots of idiots leaving negative reviews, just because they’re ignorant, which unfairly drags a score down.
Eg
*I’m giving a 1 star review for this 5gb hard drive as it is showing less than 5gb free space on my computer
*I’m giving this Blu-ray 1 star as it doesn’t play on my DVD player
etc :facepalm:

mikeysthoughts

At the same time (but probably not to the same extent) you do also get lots of idiots leaving negative reviews, just because they’re ignorant, which unfairly drags a score down.
Eg
*I’m giving a 1 star review for this 5gb hard drive as it is showing less than 5gb free space on my computer
*I’m giving this Blu-ray 1 star as it doesn’t play on my DVD player
etc :facepalm:
Very true. In summary: internet reviews can be unreliable!

bjd

Distinguished Member
"Brilliant product - does exactly what it should" = 1 star
"Brilliant product - not used it yet as I bought it for my son as a birthday present" -5 stars

And all those 5 star "Vine review of a free product"? Really?
It has become increasingly frustrating trying to find honest, accurate information before you buy something. I have found that a Google search and then following links to forum posts regarding questions/problems unearths more information than reviews.

RayClem

I frequently read the reviews, but I normally start by reading the lowest rated reviews first. I do not put a lot of stock in the 1 start reviews and they are often from people who purchased the wrong product for their needs. I also tend to ignore the 5-star reviews, especially those that have high praise, but little detail. It is the 2, 3 and 4 star reviews that tend to be most helpful as they show both the products strengths and weaknesses.

I have reviewed quite a few products I have purchased on Amazon. I have given some rave reviews and I have downrated other products. I was disappointed in the Amazon Echo Link I purchased and reviewed it accordingly. Amazon contacted me about my dissatisfaction, but they posted the review as written.

Top Bottom