Amazon return policy?

BOUMSONG

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what amazons return policy on MSI laptops would be? I ask because contacting Amazon isn't that straightforward.

This laptop that cost £1500 is struggling with Skyrim and BF3, it gets horrific fps in both on the highest settings, despite being well within spec to run at this.

If I go into recent options it allows me to return it, but I'm not sure if they will happily just take it back.

I've also heard that my current model (MSI gt780DXR) is about to be replaced with a 580m card (currently has 570m)

If it was sold as a top of the range gaming machine then you have a legal right to return it as it's clearly not fit for purpose.

Anything bought without having a chance to examine it first can also be returned within seven days (unless it was custom made).

I don't know about any extra returns policy amazon may have on top of that though.

It's over 7 days ago now. I checked their site and I think it needs to be unopened to return it.

However, the touchpad is pretty dodgy, it sometimes stops working and jumps around. Do you think I could maybe get a refund based on that? Or would they likely look to repair/replace?

How long have you had the laptop?

It came a week last Thursday I think. I've since found out that the gfx card (geforce 570m) is more like a gtx 460 on the pc, ie old.

Sorry, I should have been more explicit above. The distance selling regulations law gives you 7 working days after the contract is complete (i.e. when the laptop was delivered into your hands) to return any product you didn't get a chance to examine before buying so you should still be within that if you got it last Thursday.

EDIT: And the goods just have to be in a re-saleable condition (i.e. not damaged or dirty) they don't need to be still sealed in the box.

It came a week last Thursday I think. I've since found out that the gfx card (geforce 570m) is more like a gtx 460 on the pc, ie old.

That's not really true.

The 570M uses the GF114 chip. This is also used by the Mobile 580M, Desktop 560 and Desktop 560Ti. It is technically also used by GTX 460s being sold now, but for the majority of it's life the GTX 460 used the older GF104 chip (it switched around september/october this year).

Although they're numbered similarly desktop and laptop GPUs don't have the same performance, the 570M is somewhere between the 550Ti and 560. This is standard practice and both ATI and nVidia do it.

Last edited:
I think I might just keep it. If the 580m MSI model comes out it will probably be a fortune.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom