Question Amazon Prime Streaming - anyone else with problems?

Discussion in 'Film & TV On Demand Streaming Services' started by jeallen01, Jan 4, 2018.

1. jeallen01

jeallen01

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +20
      I'm using a Sony BDPS490 Blueray player to stream Amazon, Netflix (which works fine) & the like - but for the last 6-8 weeks, whilst most of the Amazon Prime streaming site is available and I can get to all the "free" films & TV shows etc., when I go into either of the "to-be-bought" film categories then there is absolutely nothing there!

Phoned up Amazon before Xmas to complain and was told that this problem with Sony streaming devices is "known" - but I'm now thinking that Amazon & Sony aren't doing anything to fix it

So, is anyone here experiencing a similar issue?

PS: Not using any 4K stuff
      PPS: similar thing happened a couple of years or so ago - so I wonder if it is "peculiar" to Sony devices.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    2. wez77

wez77
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3
      Yep, my Sony KDL-50W656 TV started to have this issue around 4ish months ago. At first I thought it was an Amazon problem as I couldn't remember if it started occurring after the TV had had a software update. I now just use an Amazon stick on that TV (which Id purchased for a previous TV). As the issue is still occurring it looks like unfortunately Sony and/or Amazon are reluctant to fix it.

3. jeallen01

jeallen01

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +20
      Thanks for helping to confirm my suspicions - I'll be phoning Amazon again in a few minutes!

Update:
      Just phoned them again on a call-back basis, only to find that the first call in mid-Dec appears not to have been recorded! That really got my back up, demanded to speak to a supervisor , made my anger clear on the fact the person who took the original call appears to have deliberately omitted to record and action it, and I do now want some action.

I also mentioned your issue with a Sony TV and having to use a Firestick - and I was offered one of those as well, f.o.c.! It appears they will credit the value to my a/c via a gift card, which I then use to purchase the stick - not my preferred solution, but it will do until they sort the underlying problem (which the supervisor said would definitely be recorded and investigated forthwith).

Update 2:
      The "goodwill" credit refund came through to my Amazon a/c very quickly - so I bought a Roku 2 (2015 version) as I didn't actually want a Firestick, and because I can plug the Roku into the Cat 5E Ethernet system instead of having to use Wifi streaming! Cost an extra £14.01 - but I'll live with that! :)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    4. DemonAV

DemonAV
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,113
      I have an issue with no sound when watching certain tv shows using my fire tv stick plugged into my Sammy telly. The adverts before the shows have sound but as soon as the program starts the sounds goes completely. Anyone else having this issue.

5. jeallen01

jeallen01

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +20
      The Roku arrived this afternoon -> somewhat tortuous registration and setup procedure on Amazon (far better on the site than via the box itself) , but now working on that, Netflix and other streaming sites = Result!

So @DemonAV, whilst I have no idea what the solution to your problem is, I suggest you start complaining to Amazon and you may "get lucky" like I did.

PS: didn't want a Firestick because it would have taken up one of the TV USB ports, stuck out and could easily have been damaged. Also, I will be plugging the Roku box into the AV Amp, so that I get the full benefit of the soundtracks.

6. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +404
      Try setting the output of the Amazon stick to stereo if you're using TV speakers. It could well be that the Samsung TV can't handle the DD5.1 output.

Clem

7. DemonAV

DemonAV
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,113
      Thanks guys.
      Got it sorted, just unplugged the fire stick & reset its audio to plain old DD.

Cheers.