Just got prime free from my cable provider and whilst I see UHD content the ones ive tried arnt flagging up as hdr on either my Sony bravia xe93 or my NVidia shield tv's Is it stil the case that only the titles with the black uhd indictor on the top left of the titles are the ones which are actually HDR?? I tried Star trek Picard earlier which is a new amazon Original and thsat too wasnt HDR? I tried asking an amazon rep but he didnt even know thre difference between UHD and HDR !!

Just got prime free from my cable provider and whilst I see UHD content the ones ive tried arnt flagging up as hdr on either my Sony bravia xe93 or my NVidia shield tv's Is it stil the case that only the titles with the black uhd indictor on the top left of the titles are the ones which are actually HDR?? I tried Star trek Picard earlier which is a new amazon Original and thsat too wasnt HDR? I tried asking an amazon rep but he didnt even know thre difference between UHD and HDR !!

Try searching for "Jack Ryan", that is definitely 4K HDR, "Grand Tour" is too.

I havent got a Netflix account and was just using the Amazon prime as I got a year free with my tv package. but will bare it in mind cheers

Picard is on in HD.

I find Hdr content on prime to be very dark and washed out. Dolby vision and hdr content on Netflix looks amazing however prime just doesn't do it for me. Its not me settings as both apps are run via my fire cube.

Andrew it was initially dark but I got it to work and look much better by changing the hdr video range setting on my Sony xe 9305 from auto to full

Yes, but it's HDR (Dolby Vision) on the CBS-AA app in the States, it seems Amazon have gone cheap for UK viewers. Given the Disco DV on Netflix, that's shocking.

This said, I've heard bad things about the stream quality on cbsaa ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
Picard is on in HD.

the prime app on my NVidia shield just says video error whenever I try 4k hdr l content like Jack Ryan no error codes or information re the err1080 is still playing so I know its not a account error. they might be throttling and reducing the bit rate on content due to the current increase in demand but would have hoped that thry would have relayed that on to users like Netflix have.

Yes, but it's HDR (Dolby Vision) on the CBS-AA app in the States, it seems Amazon have gone cheap for UK viewers. Given the Disco DV on Netflix, that's shocking.

This said, I've heard bad things about the stream quality on cbsaa ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
Jack ryan whilst using the Prime app on my Sony flags up as DV

I had connection errors today with the C8 app - but killing the app fixed that as usual - and UHD streaming OK as is the ATV 4K Prime app - despite fears here about all streaming having fallen to 405 line standard

Prime in HDR Ultra HD is unwatchable - way too dark. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Yeah, if you've got an LG OLED TV you can enter the service mode and turn off the auto-dimming or something ... just remember to turn it back on if you ever do gaming or watch the news or shows with corner idents.

Jack ryan whilst using the Prime app on my Sony flags up as DV

Yeah, I've definitely had good successes once it's come on with a show ... I just really hoped that they'd do it for this one. I'm not paying them to just gimme shite. Even Netflix can manage to slide the DV on Disco.

I've been trying for a week to get UHD content via Prime on my NVidia Shield but all I get is either a 1080p stream instead, or a "Something Went Wrong - Try again later" dialog box. Netflix is working fine in UHD and HDR where applicable, so I know all my equipment is functioning as it should be.

Tried rebooting the Shield and loggin out/back in to the Amazon app but it hasn't changed anything. I'm on a 350Mb Virgin broadband so it sure as hell ain't at my end. It also seems that you can't do the normal uninstall/reinstall the Amazon App as it's a protected install that requires rooting the Shield to do, which I'm not about to do.

I tried asking Amazon on their forums for clarification but have been met with stoney silence. Having read that they were/are contemplating throttling in Europe I can only conclude that's what's happening, but it would be nice for them to actually confirm it.

I've been trying for a week to get UHD content via Prime on my NVidia Shield but all I get is either a 1080p stream instead, or a "Something Went Wrong - Try again later" dialog box. Netflix is working fine in UHD and HDR where applicable, so I know all my equipment is functioning as it should be.

Tried rebooting the Shield and loggin out/back in to the Amazon app but it hasn't changed anything. I'm on a 350Mb Virgin broadband so it sure as hell ain't at my end. It also seems that you can't do the normal uninstall/reinstall the Amazon App as it's a protected install that requires rooting the Shield to do, which I'm not about to do.

I tried asking Amazon on their forums for clarification but have been met with stoney silence. Having read that they were/are contemplating throttling in Europe I can only conclude that's what's happening, but it would be nice for them to actually confirm it.
I was getting that generic error too and that was just prior to the full lockdown. the error gives no information about what the problem is either. I could understand if they were throttling and reducing quality to 1080 but threy should at least give us some indication instead of just a message saying something went wrong. I checked the app version on theshiled too and its the latest and current one

"Take Us Home Leeds United" is another example of something that shows up initially as only being available in HD. I wondered if it might be 4K so I scrolled down through many rows but each time it came up it was still only HD. As a last resort I did a search for "4K Take Us Home" and hey presto it does exist! When are Amazon going to fix this? They should show programmes in the best available picture resolution without having to go searching like this.

Amazon and Netflix need to make up ther minds about menus, one day 4k stuff has its own row, next day you have to search.
More than once when Grand Tour ws on i started watching the SD one before i realised it wasnt the 4k one i usually watch

Amazon is at least consistent in its awful treatment of UK users.

Consistently they don't transfer UHD content either at all or massively late. Drives me wild, I've literally had to speak to someone about day release shows to then find, an hour later, that the show is magically now available in the quality that it should be.

And let's not get started on the fact that they literally gave me the brush off on Picard. It's genuinely filmed in Dolby Vision, and available in 1080p DV (just like Disco), and they just flat out stone walled me. I suspect that they cheaped out with CBS. So I just didn't watch the show. Something that has the potential to be so beautiful shouldn't be hampered.

Amazon is at least consistent in its awful treatment of UK users.

Consistently they don't transfer UHD content either at all or massively late. Drives me wild, I've literally had to speak to someone about day release shows to then find, an hour later, that the show is magically now available in the quality that it should be.

And let's not get started on the fact that they literally gave me the brush off on Picard. It's genuinely filmed in Dolby Vision, and available in 1080p DV (just like Disco), and they just flat out stone walled me. I suspect that they cheaped out with CBS. So I just didn't watch the show. Something that has the potential to be so beautiful shouldn't be hampered.

Is this the case across the board, or only in the UK/Europe? If so, then I'm afraid if I were a Picard fan (I'm not) I would find myself in the unfortunate position of having to download the "correct" version to watch instead, deleting it afterwards (or holding on to it while it is still available on their service). You've paid your subscription so there shouldn't be an ethical issue.

Too true, @JonnyTester , the one thing I would say is that I've heard bad things about the quality available on CBS AA. Others can confirm, mind.

But, yeah, I get your point 100%. My only difference would be that I might be a fan, I will just never know, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Too true, @JonnyTester , the one thing I would say is that I've heard bad things about the quality available on CBS AA. Others can confirm, mind.

But, yeah, I get your point 100%. My only difference would be that I might be a fan, I will just never know, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So it is available in 1080p with Dolby Vision? If I were to theoretically find an episode in 1080p to download, how could I tell if it were DV encoded, since I don't have a DV capable tv?

I believe that the YouTube downloader can take the DV files off CBS AA (unsure), but from what I understand the Amazon files are decent SDR quality (to be fair).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom