Quantcast

Amazon Prime HDR Tip

Romster1

Just got prime free from my cable provider and whilst I see UHD content the ones ive tried arnt flagging up as hdr on either my Sony bravia xe93 or my NVidia shield tv's Is it stil the case that only the titles with the black uhd indictor on the top left of the titles are the ones which are actually HDR?? I tried Star trek Picard earlier which is a new amazon Original and thsat too wasnt HDR? I tried asking an amazon rep but he didnt even know thre difference between UHD and HDR !!

iangreasby

Just got prime free from my cable provider and whilst I see UHD content the ones ive tried arnt flagging up as hdr on either my Sony bravia xe93 or my NVidia shield tv's Is it stil the case that only the titles with the black uhd indictor on the top left of the titles are the ones which are actually HDR?? I tried Star trek Picard earlier which is a new amazon Original and thsat too wasnt HDR? I tried asking an amazon rep but he didnt even know thre difference between UHD and HDR !!
Try searching for "Jack Ryan", that is definitely 4K HDR, "Grand Tour" is too.

Romster1

I havent got a Netflix account and was just using the Amazon prime as I got a year free with my tv package. but will bare it in mind cheers

Timh

Picard is on in HD.

Andrew Harland

I find Hdr content on prime to be very dark and washed out. Dolby vision and hdr content on Netflix looks amazing however prime just doesn't do it for me. Its not me settings as both apps are run via my fire cube.

Romster1

Andrew it was initially dark but I got it to work and look much better by changing the hdr video range setting on my Sony xe 9305 from auto to full

eliotcole

Standard Member
Yes, but it's HDR (Dolby Vision) on the CBS-AA app in the States, it seems Amazon have gone cheap for UK viewers. Given the Disco DV on Netflix, that's shocking.

This said, I've heard bad things about the stream quality on cbsaa ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
Picard is on in HD.

Romster1

the prime app on my NVidia shield just says video error whenever I try 4k hdr l content like Jack Ryan no error codes or information re the err1080 is still playing so I know its not a account error. they might be throttling and reducing the bit rate on content due to the current increase in demand but would have hoped that thry would have relayed that on to users like Netflix have.

Romster1

Yes, but it's HDR (Dolby Vision) on the CBS-AA app in the States, it seems Amazon have gone cheap for UK viewers. Given the Disco DV on Netflix, that's shocking.

This said, I've heard bad things about the stream quality on cbsaa ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
Jack ryan whilst using the Prime app on my Sony flags up as DV

jwsg

I had connection errors today with the C8 app - but killing the app fixed that as usual - and UHD streaming OK as is the ATV 4K Prime app - despite fears here about all streaming having fallen to 405 line standard

eliotcole

Standard Member
Prime in HDR Ultra HD is unwatchable - way too dark. Does anyone have a fix for this?
Yeah, if you've got an LG OLED TV you can enter the service mode and turn off the auto-dimming or something ... just remember to turn it back on if you ever do gaming or watch the news or shows with corner idents.

Jack ryan whilst using the Prime app on my Sony flags up as DV
Yeah, I've definitely had good successes once it's come on with a show ... I just really hoped that they'd do it for this one. I'm not paying them to just gimme sh*te. Even Netflix can manage to slide the DV on Disco.