Amazon Prime Adverts...

Apsilon

Senior Moderator
Not sure if this has been asked (can't find a thread and if it has, can someone point me in the direction), but I was watching a movie just now and it seamlessly cut to an advert for Lego after which it returned to the movie..!!

I've seen them before movies and shows (which I don't mind), but never during and really hope that this isn't now a thing. I pay for Prime and Netflix to get away from adverts, not to see more and certainly not during a movie...

Does anyone know anything about this?

zantarous

Distinguished Member
It's their new ad supported service IMDB which they have just chucked in with Prime. These can be watched without a membership.

Apsilon

Senior Moderator
It's their new ad supported service IMDB which they have just chucked in with Prime. These can be watched without a membership.

Ah, so the movie I was watching has been moved from Prime to their IMDB service meaning I got the advert (because I don't subscribe to IMDB)?

Apsilon

Senior Moderator
Just checked, the movie I'm watching is on IMDB. What a pain.

Thanks for the link.

bobdylan

Surely it's a separate app to Prime Video though? I'm assuming the OP was watching the movie via Prime?

EDIT: Looks like there's a sub section in the Prime app!

Last edited:

Nutty667

I've noticed the trailers before tv shows are usually un-skippable now. Very annoying.

wolfie138

just hit my first one, no warning, nowt, just smacked the goddamn thing right in the middle of a good scene. well done, provide a movie service and ruin it entirely. i will hereby make a point of watching nothing else on this sub-section.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Discovered this earlier, added a few things to my watchlist a while back. Went to watch a documentary earlier and 5 mins in I'm hit with an advert. Seems this doc was moved from Prime to IMDB. Noticed they have done it with some Prime Original series like Alex Rider.

Very annoying.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Well this is news to me and not come across it yet. What a fudgeing nuisance though. They've started up with adverts on NowTV too, which I only discovered last week.

It's a joke to be honest, we should be going in the direction of less adverts.

Jason56d

Just found out about this abomination! Not impressed at all.

Been watching The Shield on Prime with my son. We last watched one 2 weeks ago. Started season 2 episode 5 earlier, and within 3 mins of it starting, a 90 second not skippable advert appeared? Then after around 10 mins, another 60 second ad. After 24 mins, a 60 second ad? By this point I’m raging.

Quick Google discovers why. The Shield is now on IMDB. :mad:

Really poor show from Amazon.

stblob

Just came in here to ask the exact question. Started watching Pulp Fiction and it's unwatchable due to adverts.
Surely if it's a free service then fair play, but I pay for Prime and should not have the ads. Poor call from Amazon.

Garrett

I take it some films may have run there limited time on Prime and gone onto IMDB but think there should be at least should be 2 different sections Amazon Prime for subscribers ad free and a section IMDB. As I was saying the other day I been watching Justified went to watch it a week later and got adverts, I came out and did a search and found was till showing ad free with Prime.

D

Deleted member 202217

Has anyone tried sinkholeing the offending URLs in pfblocker, pihole etc?

Garrett

D

Deleted member 202217

Sorry but you lost me after tried. :confused:
I was just wondering if the offending trailers were hosted on the the same servers as the content, if not it should be possible to block.

Garrett

I was just wondering if the offending trailers were hosted on the the same servers as the content, if not it should be possible to block.
Thanks. Is this via the computer or can it be by the TV?

BTW the post reminded me of ages ago when John Cleese wrote into That's Life and said he was having trouble with his toggles on a casa pupo.
And they all went WHAT! then we found out what he meant. Quite simple really.

D

Deleted member 202217

Thanks. Is this via the computer or can it be by the TV?

BTW the post reminded me of ages ago when John Cleese wrote into That's Life and said he was having trouble with his toggles on a casa pupo.
And they all went WHAT! then we found out what he meant. Quite simple really.
It would be blocked on the router. It could be possible to see if you watch the content in a Web browser with the Adam (dnsthingy) addon active. You will be able to see all the connections in real time as you watch to pin point the trailer.
But it may be hosted on the same server as the content, I don't know without checking.

McNab

Discovered this earlier, added a few things to my watchlist a while back. Went to watch a documentary earlier and 5 mins in I'm hit with an advert. Seems this doc was moved from Prime to IMDB. Noticed they have done it with some Prime Original series like Alex Rider.

Very annoying.

Am I right in thinking Alex Rider is no longer available in 4K either? I was going to watch the last couple of episodes the other day, but my watchlist link said it was no longer available.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Am I right in thinking Alex Rider is no longer available in 4K either? I was going to watch the last couple of episodes the other day, but my watchlist link said it was no longer available.
Yep no longer available in the UK now it's on IMDB. Guessing Season 2 won't be 4K either over here.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom