Amazon planning a Hi-Res music streaming service

mushii

Distinguished Member
Depending on their catalogue offering, this could redefine the market place, with so many people already being prime customers. I have yet to jump into the Hi-Res streaming sphere as I still like silver disks, but this has piqued my interest.
What will be interesting is if they can deliver this via existing or some new form of Echo Dot.

whitesnake11

Hi-Res audio from Amazon would interest me, it’ll be interesting to see more detail and what comes of this.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Why the complete lack of any mention of Qobuz?

I like Qobuz. Two reasons. Hi-Res FLAC and not MQA which while it offers Hi-Res, 99% of DAC dont do MQA and so your left to Tidal to do it for you. And you can buy Hi-Res at pretty good prices so for must have titles, if you cancel, you at least get to keep the music.

Amazon has money on it's side though and possibly get more titles. But how it's all delivered is key. I'm in no doubt, we'll all need to buy new Echos etc.

mark6226

A waste of time and money.
All the 24bit streams will be 16 bit up scales which, by proxy, degrades the sound quality.
If you want the best quality sound then avoid anything hires unless they are rips of original vinyl issues. All vinyl reissues are just CD masters transfered to vinyl
Ive tried mqa etc via tidal and the sound was poor compared to their CD counterparts. I guarantee the same will apply to this amazon service
Bottom line is that you absolutely cannot upscale from 16bit to 24. All it will be is a stretched 16bit music file that's inferior to the original.
People will probably flock to this simply because they have been programmed to so and terrified and not being the same as everyone else. We used to laugh at those communist soviet bloc counties where everyone drove the same sort of car, lived in identical homes and were all the same.
That's what we have become
Not everyone jumps through the same hoop.

daniel peterson

I believe that the final success comes down to the supported format, sample rate, bit depth and of course if the final monthly charge really is $15. Surely, if somebody already subscribes to Amazon prime services, then a few $ more would not make such a dramatic change. I am simply not convinced if Tidal, Qobuz or Deezer users would gladly switch to Amazon for $5 difference.

Last edited:

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
I care less that Amazon are doing this. What does interest me is the idea that Apple and Spotify may now have to up their game and offer at least CD quality streams. Spotify has far and away the best interface although both they and Apple are promoting certain artists in the same way the radio always has. I like tidal and can live with the short comings on its UI but if Spotify offered the same sound quality I’d drop tidal I think

mossym

Distinguished Member
Agreed, if this does nothing more than force Spotify into the lossless offering it should have had already then I applaud it. Currently paying for both a Spotify and tidal account, so would gladly give Spotify an extra 10 a month to consolidate.

Going all in on Amazon does not make sense,I can use Spotify connect to play control my avr, going to Amazon would be a step back, even though I have prime

daniel peterson

Agreed, if this does nothing more than force Spotify into the lossless offering it should have had already then I applaud it. Currently paying for both a Spotify and tidal account, so would gladly give Spotify an extra 10 a month to consolidate.

Going all in on Amazon does not make sense,I can use Spotify connect to play control my avr, going to Amazon would be a step back, even though I have prime
What made you decide to subscribe to both Spotify and Tidal?

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
I actually do the same. For me Spotify has the best UI and music discovery. Playlists are also the best. My wife also finds Spotify the easiest to use especially considering Spotify Connect works so simply with devices in our home. I love Tidal for the quality of the audio and how it integrates with MQA ready devices in my home. I am quite close to bringing it all together with Roon

Toon Army

Whilst intrigued, I hope it encourages Spotify to up their game in which case I will upgrade my family membership.

mossym

Distinguished Member
Lossless audio from tidal. And my Spotify account is shared across 5 Alexa devices in the house, and I have a 9 year old who uses it a lot, once she is playing something it turns it off everywhere else. If Spotify had lossless I'd get a family account with lossless and have a single payment.

daniel peterson

@mossym, I see. It makes a lot of sense to have an account on Tidal and Spotify, but with regards to financial issues, I'd rather stick with one. I found it a bit pointless to use Tidal as until recently it supported Masters Quality Streaming on desktop only. Btw, is there a way to import libraries between Spotify and Tidal?

mossym

Distinguished Member
That was my point , I'd rather have a single payment that delivered lossless, family accounts and Alexa integration. Spotify and tidal both offer two , if either offered all 3 I'd consolidate

I have a headphone setup at work and master available on my home setup so can take full advantage of tidal in both places.

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Perhaps they could first try and get rid of the terrible gaps between tracks, so you can listen to long whole LP type pieces of classical or modern music without a glitch between what is supposed to be a smooth transition from one track to the next.
Aweful they have not fixed this yet when other companies have this working perfect for ages.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
@mossym Btw, is there a way to import libraries between Spotify and Tidal?
So I find new playlists every week through Reddit. There are whole subreddits dedicated to playlists exchanging and sharing. I'll follow a playlist I like the look of and use STAMP (a mac OS app) to then transfer that data over to Tidal. Sounds a bigger faff that it actually is but I concede its a little silly. I don't think you'd have to be a Spotify subscriber to be able to do this though. Should be fine to do it using a free account on Spotify.

mossym

Distinguished Member

overkill

Distinguished Member
All vinyl reissues are just CD masters transfered to vinyl
Are they? That's interesting. So Steven Wilson, among many other engineers is lying then when he states: "24/96 Digital Masters were used to cut the vinyl"? Lets consider this further... What CD Master are you talking about? The one used to cut the current, Compressed, mass market CD's? Keep going with that argument if you want big laughs. Engineers have stated, clearly, you cannot use Dynamically compressed CD Masters to cut Vinyl. Full stop. As the vast majority of mainstream titles ARE compressed, what are these magical CD masters you are referring to? Special ones they made but didn't use for the CD, just so they could be used to cut the Vinyl? I think not. Please don't repeat 'internet wisdom' on a site where people making buying choices ta.

overkill

Distinguished Member
As for HIREZ on Amazon, why not? As long as they don't compress the files, defeating the whole bloody object, bring it on!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 21st October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
LG SIGNATURE OLED R TV now available in South Korea
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG Display teams with Disney for OLED Projects
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Campfire Audio updates Vega and Dorado earphones
  • By Andy Bassett