Amazon password changed? How?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by blue max, Feb 11, 2014.

1. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,314
    So I get an email from password assistance saying:
    "We received a request to reset the password associated with this e-mail address. If you made this request, please follow the instructions below."

Then another from Amazon saying:
    Thanks for visiting Amazon.co.uk! Per your request, we have successfully changed your password.

Both looked genuine. My existing password did not work.

I have since requested the password change myself and changed it within minutes.

But how can they do that using my email? Surely they would need the link supplied in that email and it came to me.

EEk seems I've just purchased a laptop at John Lewis - but I haven't !!!!

2. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,314
    Going to reply to my own thread...

Think my virgin media email might have been compromised. So they can see the resulting link to change the password.

John lewis say they wouldn't have authorised it and cancelled anyway.

Some little Shyster was going to collect a Macbook Air from Islington. Not sure how that works as they don't hold a current credit card for me.

What a mare!

3. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46,565
    Uh Oh.. :(

With virgin your mail is pushed onto your desktop mail program but can also be accessed separately via their web pages. So if they have you email address and password they can access your mail through the Virgin website. I would change your Virgin password ASAP.

4. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,314
    Thanks IG, already done. I just didn't understand how they could respond to the email, but that was the key.
    I opened that account many moons ago. Maybe even a decade or more, so perhaps the password was not as strong as it would have to be these days.
    Wonder if they just guessed?
    It was rather alarming, but hopefully no damage done. Although someone having full access to your email is leaving me feel a bit vulnerable!

Maybe a timely reminder to anyone who hasn't changed their password in yonks.

5. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +783
    I think a password manager is essential these days. That way you do not have to remember lots of strong passwords and therefore not tempted to use weak passwords. Password managers can also check the strength of your chosen password too.

6. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,314
    I would always worry that I was too reliant on a piece of software. You may say which is worse, but this is the first time I have had this happen. Let's hope there is more reliance on other technology in the future.

7. booyaka

booyaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,577
    I have used Keepass 2 for about 2 years now and wouldn't be without it. Single password for multiple sites is just asking for trouble.

I can use Keepass 2 on my phone/tablet/pc/works computer and it's a great way of having unique passwords. fantastic piece of software.

8. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +783
    Keepass here too. Free and open source. I have also used SPB wallet and SBSH Safewallet paid for software but I have more faith that Keepass will be around longer.

I use Keepass at home and work. It syncs too.

9. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,314
    Thanks all - might take a look at those.

10. boltlock

boltlock
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,248
    I've been using RoboForm since release and couldn't do without it. Have it on all my devices and they're all synced automatically. If I was only allowed one piece of software on my pc it would be this.

11. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +783
    SPB and SBSH were paid for software but stopped being supported. I was beta tester for both.

I was able to import my passwords into Keepass, which is free ware and well supported. For a longer life and public tested security I will now stick with open source software. Its not quite as slick looking as some commercial offerings and takes little more effort to get used to it but the end result for me is more confidence about the protection and privacy of my valuable data. Also, with open source its easier to make requests for changes and more likely to see it happen.

Password managers become an essential part of life and its important that they last.

They are not just for passwords either. I keep all my very important data in there. You can add files and docs inside them for protection too.

12. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,314
    You would think that this sort of thing would be built into computers - or at least functioning as you might wish. It's a pretty basic requirement and your computer allows a password for protection anyhow.
    Don't you just hate it when some software updates and it loses your username and password - grrrr.

Trials and limited time freeware are just an annoyance. I have resisted so far, but might have to take the plunge.

13. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,314
    Just looked at keePass. Seems I have to install Mono and Xquartz before I can even run it on the mac. I don't feel comfortable about adding a further two levels of complexity. Seems well regarded for a pc though.