Amazon Music HD - Unable to play UltraHD

DistortedVision

Novice Member
I just subscribed to a free trial of Amazon Music HD. I have two Meridian Explorer2 connected to two different PCs and hi-fi's. I'm unable to get UltraHD working in either. In one it plays 24bit 48kHz and the other it will only play 16bit 44.1kHz.

There isn't anything in the software settings. I am able to play 24bit 192kHz FLACs in Foobar2000 and hi-res worked in Tidal out of the box.

Amazon support have been useless. First I have to ask does UltraHD only work with certified supported hardware? If not does anyone have any suggestions as I've drawn a blank.

screenshot_34.png

larkone

Have you checked the windows sound properties/advanced to see what windows is outputting?

Craig uk

I just subscribed to a free trial of Amazon Music HD. I have two Meridian Explorer2 connected to two different PCs and hi-fi's. I'm unable to get UltraHD working in either. In one it plays 24bit 48kHz and the other it will only play 16bit 44.1kHz.

There isn't anything in the software settings. I am able to play 24bit 192kHz FLACs in Foobar2000 and hi-res worked in Tidal out of the box.

Amazon support have been useless. First I have to ask does UltraHD only work with certified supported hardware? If not does anyone have any suggestions as I've drawn a blank.

View attachment 1196938
Pretty sure Meridian won’t play 24/192. You have to run it through the app or through desktop to your HiFi. The DSP5200se won’t play it either.

larkone

@Craig uk The datasheet says it can play 24/192

Craig uk

@Craig uk The datasheet says it can play 24/192
The DSP5200SE will only accept 24/96 via the digital input, I’m not sure about about the explorer. Tidal masters are offered packed in the MQA format but Amazons HD service is native. I’ve signed up for the Amazon service and not been able to get 24/196 to work with the 5200se. Which data file was you referring to?

Attached is the 5200se manual.

Attachments

DistortedVision

Novice Member
Yeah I was able to get it working shortly after posting by changing the quality setting for the sound device. I now get up to 24bit 192kHz quality. Sounds great - my only complaint is the lack of UltraHD albums.

Jokerr

Anyway Amazon MUSIC HD has just completely failed after October 14th iOS update. After about a minute the quality drops from ‘24bit/96KHz’ to ‘Standard’ [can see this on yellow label and hear it].

This ‘Standard’ quality is much worse than even Spotify or Apple Music. It sounds compressed.

So if they don’t fix this, there is no HD, ULTRA HD, HIGH RES - it’s all mush.