Amazon music HD quality issue

mickbirch2000

Prominent Member
Reaction score
A lot of the albums on Amazon music HD have tracks of varying sound quality on the same album.
There may be one or two tracks that stream at 24/96 but then the rest at 16/44.1, this is inconsistent & annoying when paying for a hi-res service. Please Amazon make sure that all tracks on an album are the same sound quality & yes I can hear the difference.

Amazon don't market it as a purely hi-res service. Amazon Music HD is a combination of CD quality (70 million tracks) & hi-res audio (5 million tracks)

I've just left Amazon HD as it appears to be near impossible to actually get anything above 16 bit, 48kHz streamed in practice.

Moved over to Qobuz and if the file is there, 24 bit / 192kHz is at your disposal.

When I trialed Amazon HD I was streaming some tracks at 24 bit 192kHz and 24 bit 96kHz. Guess it's a lottery depending what your tastes are

When I trialed Amazon HD I was streaming some tracks at 24 bit 192kHz and 24 bit 96kHz. Guess it's a lottery depending what your tastes are

No, I don't mean this. You can have a source file that states that it is 24 bit, 192kHz in the Amazon Music HD app but I'm not sure how you can actually play anything beyond 16 bit, 48kHz at the moment.

There appears to be a limitation in their software apps - I've tested their latest Amazon Music HD software via Windows, OS X, Android and also using Chromecast using an external DAC and even when selecting exclusive mode, the application is unable to actually pass anything beyond 16 bits/48kHz to my DAC.

Have you checked the digital signal that your DAC is processing?

I streamed via HEOS on my amp

hmm, that will probably work.

I don't think HEOS is available on Arcam/Naim/Meridian amplifiers though?
No it's not, it's Denon & Marantz

No it's not, it's Denon & Marantz

I used to own Marantz and Denon amps (both the same company (D&M I believe) - I meant that higher end audio amplification doesn't have HEOS.

Perhaps, Amazon HD isn't tackling the nominal audiophile market.

Anyway, I've moved on and Qobuz meets my needs.

It's no biggie for me personally as I tend not to stream unless it's a stream only album promo

stupid question time.....but if you've been using amazon's normal music service for a while ...then go over to their hd service ...will all your saved playlists and tracks etc that you've been using be 'automatically' available in the higher quality once you sign up ?

or is it a case of 'starting again' selecting the hd tracks that are available on the service...if you know what i mean ?

:confused:

stupid question time.....but if you've been using amazon's normal music service for a while ...then go over to their hd service ...will all your saved playlists and tracks etc that you've been using be 'automatically' available in the higher quality once you sign up ?

or is it a case of 'starting again' selecting the hd tracks that are available on the service...if you know what i mean ?

:confused:
Your playlists just transfer over đź‘Ť

No, I don't mean this. You can have a source file that states that it is 24 bit, 192kHz in the Amazon Music HD app but I'm not sure how you can actually play anything beyond 16 bit, 48kHz at the moment.

There appears to be a limitation in their software apps - I've tested their latest Amazon Music HD software via Windows, OS X, Android and also using Chromecast using an external DAC and even when selecting exclusive mode, the application is unable to actually pass anything beyond 16 bits/48kHz to my DAC.

Have you checked the digital signal that your DAC is processing?

A lot of the albums on Amazon music HD have tracks of varying sound quality on the same album.
There may be one or two tracks that stream at 24/96 but then the rest at 16/44.1, this is inconsistent & annoying when paying for a hi-res service. Please Amazon make sure that all tracks on an album are the same sound quality & yes I can hear the difference.
@mickbirch2000 What you see on Amazon Music HD and Ultra HD are probably not because of Amazon. The recording engineers must establish what level of high resolution they wish to give out to the service providers. I see lots of 24bit/44.1khz. A few 24bit/48khz, many also have 24bit/192khz. I believe the recording engineers put out what they want to put out there. It isn't Amazon Music's fault. It might be, but I doubt that is the problem. If Amazon can only get from the music vendor 24/44.1 then that is what you will see.

@mickbirch2000 What you see on Amazon Music HD and Ultra HD are probably not because of Amazon. The recording engineers must establish what level of high resolution they wish to give out to the service providers. I see lots of 24bit/44.1khz. A few 24bit/48khz, many also have 24bit/192khz. I believe the recording engineers put out what they want to put out there. It isn't Amazon Music's fault. It might be, but I doubt that is the problem. If Amazon can only get from the music vendor 24/44.1 then that is what you will see.
I have dropped Amazon music HD a couple of months ago & switched to Qobuz after the free trial. I have not noticed the problem since changing & the Qobuz app works better via chromecast & the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom