Amazon mulled buying RIM

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Dodgy_Geezer, Dec 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
  2. RobM

RobM
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    I'm sure they wont be alone, lots of companies will be sniffing around I'm sure. They wont get very far for the time being.

3. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Its beenrumoured that Microsoft are also interested in a takeover, probably a better fit than Amazon

4. RobM

RobM
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    Just look back to the Palm sale and pretty much repeat every single rumour, it gets a bit daft once it starts, especially since RIM has refused offers so far and said they wont be selling. That could just be a tactic to drive the price up, but considering the way the current board at RIM seem to think it could equally be the honest truth.

That said, Microsoft would be a better fit than Amazon as Microsoft's push into enterprise mobile working (again) with Windows Phone and Windows 8 really needs a better security and management model to support it, something that applies equally to all platforms and works in-sync with Exchange... did I just describe Fusion? ;)

It's all pointless as it wont happen, but if Microsoft could just buy RIM and Nokia we'd have the best platform around! Excellent hardware, excellent mobile software, excellent security and management... excellent :)

5. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    I have to agree I'd like to see a marriage of RIM's infrastructure, Bold 9900 form factor and Windows Phone.... maybe too much to ask.

I know it looks very bad for RIM right now but it seems to me that it would take a lot for the current management to admit defeat and sell up unless they felt it was the right move for the company.

6. RobM

RobM
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    They (RIM's management) have said they want to turn it around themselves. They have already decided that they are going to focus first and foremost on the enterprise market and on management and security, rather than trying to go up against Apple and Co., so they are making the right noises.

I think RIM are doing the right thing in doing back to basics, concentrate on what they are best at, concentrate on what the market really wants (they market they are actually in, rather than the market tech blogs and hyperactive forum commentators think they are in) and build from the ground-up again. Sure, they wont be competing with the Apple and Co. on market share, but is that vitally important right now? Isn't security, growth and a clear direction the thing they need most? Big numbers can come later.