Amazon Logistics - You thought Yodel were bad.......

Generally agree, though last week had a bit of a 'standoff' with one of their drivers.
I'm on the drive about to go out, he pulls up in a van, clearly with something to deliver to me.
We waited .... :)
Turns out those delivery times are serious and as he was 6 minutes early, he couldn't hand over the parcel ;)
Why were you about to go out if you had a delivery coming in six minutes? :p

I had a Amazon logistics delivery at the weekend. The tracking said out for delivery on Saturday but the day and date on the tracking was today. It came Saturday lunchtime.

I always get deliveries next day so I had a feeling it would come on the Saturday.

Only rarely had issues with amazon logistics and that was centered around Christmas and stock levels as opposed to the actual delivery if that makes sense.

In fact last week a delivery that was due for Sunday showed that it had gone to the wrong distribution centre at the other end of the country and that it had arrived there at 10 am, great I thought, a months extension to prime, only for a knock on the door at 8 pm with the delivery, they'd only gone and sorted it out so it wasn't delayed. They had managed to get it to the right centre and sent someone out specifically to us the same day, bloody amazon!

We're on Prime, so get a lot from Amazon Logistics. Never had a late delivery in over 50 orders. I've found that if I order to my home address, the delivery is always 6pm - 8pm. However, if I choose the shop at the end of the road for pickup, it always turns just before 7am, even on a Sunday. Hence I always go for the shop pickup!

One thing that's recently started bothering me with Amazon is that more and more, when I see an item and it says "order in the next xhrs/mins for delivery tommorow with express", I check out and the delivery date is frequently not the next day (as should be with Prime) and according the product page, but the day after that - so not next day at all. Keep meaning to email them about that - the reason I paid for Prime is that I'm impatient!

Never had a problem with Amazon logistics, in fact ordered a game Thursday evening around 11pm was delivered Saturday morning 9.30am. Very impressed. I know everyone will have a differing experience etc. One company I cannot fault is DPD, they have got logistics right and should be the gold standard all other companies should aim for.

Everyone says that about DPD - however, they are a LOT more expensive than nearly all the other couriers (we shift a lot through couriers at work) - hence it is only companies with a customer service focus and/or big margins to cover the cost that use them. I guess you pays your money and takes your choice...

Last edited:
I've had loads of deliveries by Amazon Logistics, and they usually arrive around Noon, as did today's. I guess there'll be times when there are a lot of deliveries which may delay them, but that hasn't been my experience. Always signed for, or delivered with my neighbour and email to confirm. Excellent service, well up to the standard of local postman and Royal Mail Parcels service who do a great job.

If this Amazon logistics are the people in their own vehicles delivering directly for Amazon then I too have had no issue what so ever.
In fact I'd go as far to say it's a great service.
I've had items turn up really quickly(e.g. estimated delivery of Wednesday. Actual delivery Monday), and even on Sundays(better them than me working Sundays).
This includes new releases which aren't due out til the Monday.
They have even turned up earlier than the regular post does around here. And I live a 5 minute walk from the local sorting office.

And just to add, I also receive an email telling me it's been delivered.
Be that to my home or to a neighbour if no one is home.

I have a a few issues with amazon logistics, a few times when I have ordered a film/game from them,they have left it between the security gate and door and can be easily taken. Sometimes I get lucky and one of my next door neighbours takes it in and gives it to me later.

A couple months back I ordered a electric shaver and while I was out I got a message on my phone that it had been delivered, I knew nobody was in so it was either left in security gate or with neighbour,was about five minutes away so decided to go back to check and when i got home it was sat on the doormat,don't know how they can call it delivered by leaving it outside in clear open view for anyone to take.

I now just use collect+ for any items fulfilled by amazon,no longer do I have to wait in for them to come which usually is after 4pm,latest was just after 9.30 on a sunday.

So did I.

I get a month extension to my prime membership and a £5 gift certificate as compensation.

For those of you that are unaware, you are entitled to a 1 month extension to your prime membership for every delivery that fails to arrive on time. My current annual membership is in its 18th month and I still have 7 months remaining. But you need to contact them directly and demand the extension. I usually contact them via chat

When I had Prime (when it was still £49) I ended up with similar but I made the point to them that giving an extra month doesn't solve the problem. It was always that anything sent by Royal Mail wouldn't arrive on time so they'd give an extra month, whereas by DPD was spot on. Even with the cost difference to use RM over DPD they probably cost themselves more in extra months.

Even with the cost difference to use RM over DPD they probably cost themselves more in extra months.
Depends on how much 'value' you got ie how many orders you placed during those extra months. It's only costing them money on those days that you actually make an order. And even then, if you're making extra orders at Amazon during those extra months they're still making money from you in those orders.

Remember Prime isn't aimed at breaking even/making them money on postage. It's too 'lock you in' to buying from Amazon & encourages you to order more to 'make the most' out of your paid for deliveries.

Yodels business model is seriously flawed, yet again today, I watched him not even knock, just walk to the door, stick the you were out letter through and quick as anything, drive off.
I phoned up to rearrange and explained he done it again and told them its fine, it's just a new hoover to it just means I don't to hoover for a few more days, however it's going to cost you to drive all the way back again...it doesnt make sense!
Wasnt supposed to be del till Monday anyway so no skin of my nose

I really don't understand why some of these drivers are so lazy.
I briefly worked for Parcel Force the other year and it was a great job.
And easy. Once you're on a set route.
Taking out upwards of 60 drops a day is easy, and the average driver would be expected to take out around 90*.
You do it at your own pace, so it's to a drivers advantage to deliver quite quickly, but it doesn't take long to run between drops. Especially if you plan your route.
Even taking in to consideration timed drops(before 9am/10am/12pm) which can take you off your planned route. But you can easily work around that.
And it's far quicker to actually deliver to the intended address.
Why some of these other couriers/drivers don't bother to attempt a proper delivery is baffling.
Also, you're left alone all day and it's like you're your own boss.
Before you know it you've emptied half your van and you've still got more than half a day to go(which in itself isn't too bad because it can work out as job & knock).
Like I said, it's not a hard job, but these drivers make it hard by trying to cut corners.

*90 drops doesn't mean 90 separate addresses as you could very well end up delivering multiple parcels to a single address.

Talking of parcel force I was waiting in for a parcel the other day, and was just on the PC near the front window (had one side of the curtains drawn to stop glare) later on I went to go upstairs and saw a "Sorry we missed you" through the door, nobody had even knocked...

I get that a lot.

I reckon some of these delivery drivers are wasted as they obviously have "Mad Skillz" and can throw a "sorry we missed you" card with stunning accuracy through a letter box from a moving vehicle.

I don't even get the card these days. When I check the tracking number it's ' Driver couldn't find you address'
The lazy gits can't even drop off a card and pretend they knocked and you were out.
Talking to one of the 'proper' drivers, he said drivers are coming and going at an alarming rate. Start one day, deliver nothing, then leave.

Yodels business model is seriously flawed, yet again today, I watched him not even knock, just walk to the door, stick the you were out letter through and quick as anything, drive off.
I phoned up to rearrange and explained he done it again and told them its fine, it's just a new hoover to it just means I don't to hoover for a few more days, however it's going to cost you to drive all the way back again...it doesnt make sense!
Wasnt supposed to be del till Monday anyway so no skin of my nose

I guess it is quicker for him to stop the van, write a card and put it through the letterbox than it is to stop the van, go into the back, find the parcel, pick up parcel, walk to your door, knock, wait, give parcel to you and leave.

The real problem here is that they are paid such a tiny amount, it will of course result in a very poor service.

I had DPD last week for a delivery, i was number 125 and the driver turned up at 16:12 and had travelled a distance of around 3-4 miles i had been following him on the map from in the morning, boy he must have been tired.

i'm quite concerned about them. They claim to have deliver 2 frozen dolls at 9.40pm Saturday, which they didn't as no one knocked. we checked with neighbours etc. one of the dolls went out of stock but amazon did a reorder for the second doll, it just arrived. the box has clearly been pulled up on one side to take a look inside...

Well Amazon logistics has just messed up my delivery of Fallout 4, supposed to be delivered today and at 18:49 got a delayed message due to being given to the wrong courier.

Cancelled my order when/if it does turn up Amazon can waste money getting DPD to collect it and I'll buy from Sainsbury's tomorrow

Yep, the AL courier that delivers to my work didn't bother to come out, meaning that 2 colleagues and myself are all sat without Fallout 4 and Starcraft. I wrote a complaint email and my friend spoke to them over the phone. No explanation, just that there was 'some kind of delay'. We didn't even get a message, the tracking has said 'on its way' since Yesterday morning!

I too might go to Sainsbury's at lunch as it's just up the road. Very disappointed in Amazon/Prime at the moment though. What's the point of preordering if it's not going to come when promised?

Who, Amazon? Why would they ban you for returning something? I'll have to try and remember to find that watchdog ep on catchup

Who, Amazon? Why would they ban you for returning something? I'll have to try and remember to find that watchdog ep on catchup

If they think you are 'abusing' the DSR and returning too high a proportion of your purchases they apparently may close your account as you just become a 'cost' :)

Wow, I can understand that there may be those who do abuse the system, but I also think that's a bit extreme unless it only kicks in after a large number of returns.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom