• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Amazon instant video on Samsung ES5500

jopedder

Novice Member
Hi,

I'm on the free trial for Amazon instant video, it is great on my laptop, or via hdmi on my TV, but I can't get the in-TV app to work. I use the laptop for work, so it isn't ideal incase I'm away, or the kids want to use it during the day.

When I select the app from Smart Hub, it give instructions to update the TV software via internet, and if that doesn't work by 'alternative source'. When updating the via internet, my TV says it has the latest software, and the alternative source is 'not available'. Amazon don't seem to have much in their help pages - does anyone know of a fix (the in-TV browser doesn't support it either, so that isn't a work-around).

Many thanks, Jo

OllieM

Novice Member
Hi mate,

I had the same issue and contacted both Samsung and Amazon tech support. Samsung have responded with the following:

Thank you for contacting Samsung Customer Support.

There is a firmware upgrade available but it is only available for manual installation via USB. You can do this at any time if you have a USB stick and a Windows computer. I have provided some instructions on how to do this below.

- Follow the link below to the Samsung website and download the latest firmware by clicking on the Downloads & Manuals section and then clicking on Upgrade File (USB Type).

SAMSUNG

- Copy the update file on to an empty USB stick
- Double click the file to run it and install it on the USB stick
- Connect the USB to the TV
- Press Menu on the remote
- Go to Support > Software Update > By USB

During the update the TV can't be used for any other purpose. It is important that you don't turn the TV off or remove the USB stick until after the update is complete. When it is finished the TV will turn off and on again.

jopedder

Novice Member
sorry for the delay - thanks, that's great, I'm downloading it now... :D

for anyone else who has the same problem and finds this thread, it is worth quickly reading the 'how to upgrade' guide, as you don't just copy the downloaded file to the USB stick, you need to execute the file in windows before taking it to the TV.

jopedder

Novice Member
OllieM's method worked, although for some reason it didn't at first until I tried a different USB stick (I've had this problem when flashing Linux so thought to try). Don't know what an OSX solution would be but AmazonPrime now works fine.

Thanks, Jo

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom