Amazon HD claimed bit depth and sample rates.

David Alexander

The Amazon HD app gives you info on the quality of the track, the device capability, and the quality of what’s being played accordingly.
Has anyone independently measured the three variables?

I’ve plugged a Firestick 4K directly into my 24bit+ 192+ capable AVR and the app limits the output to 16bit/192KHz. Moved it fo TV then through AVR and got 24bit/48KHz (ARC only). Then cleared the cache on the app and replugged into TV>AVR and its now indicating, when track is 24bit/192KHz, is now actually playing at 24bit/192KHz (so full fat ultra HD!).

Does anyone have a piece of kit that can verify what the Amazon HD app states against the actuality?

Cebolla

The cube shows "master" next to albums, is it actually delivering that and how?
Short answer - yes, but only if they are MQA-CD tracks (good luck in determining that from just the 'master' label, BTW);
Long answer - refer to my post above (#71) and I suggest either creating a new thread or posting on one of the existing TIDAL ones (such as Tidal launches free streaming and splits HiFi into two plans) for further discussion on the subject, given that MQA has nothing to do with Amazon Music HD (or any other music streaming service other than TIDAL, for that matter).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Well I've tried the cube again and it's still randomly pausing when streaming music on amazon music or Tidal so it's going back and I'll stick to the firestick. All I'll lose is 24/192 on amazon music that the cube can do but the firestick can't and seeing as I'm going to use Tidal as my main music source anyway that's not an issue anyway.

Upvote 0

Brava 210

Well I've tried the cube again and it's still randomly pausing when streaming music on amazon music or Tidal so it's going back and I'll stick to the firestick. All I'll lose is 24/192 on amazon music that the cube can do but the firestick can't and seeing as I'm going to use Tidal as my main music source anyway that's not an issue anyway.
Have you tried disabling the screensaver?

Upvote 0

Brava 210

Well, I spoke too soon.
I have now had a few stop sessions on Tidal too as well as AM
What next I wonder?

Upvote 0

Brava 210

Bubble upnp app seems to stream well directly to the Denon Amp for Tidal

Upvote 0

woogoob

Novice Member
I have run into the same issue.
Both my Amazon Firestick 4K and my Amazon Firestick 4K Max
with Amazon Music Version (out of the box or after reset): 3.2.148.0, my device capability reads: 24-bit, 48khz when hooked up to either my Sony 8AF TV or directly to my Oppo Bluray player UDP-205.
After updating Amazon Music to Version: 3.3.794.0, my device capability reads: 16-bit, 192khz.
I just bought the Firestick 4K Max last week hoping that I could get 24-bit, 192khz, but no luck.
If I hook up my pc via HDMI input on my Oppo UDP-205, I can stream Amazon Music at 24bit 192khz.
So I know my devices are capable, it's a software issue with the firesticks.
I see that people here are successfully getting 24bit/192 with the Cube, don't know if I want to spend that much!

Upvote 0

Brava 210

I'm trying a raspberry pi at the moment.

Upvote 0

Brava 210

I have run into the same issue.
Both my Amazon Firestick 4K and my Amazon Firestick 4K Max
with Amazon Music Version (out of the box or after reset): 3.2.148.0, my device capability reads: 24-bit, 48khz when hooked up to either my Sony 8AF TV or directly to my Oppo Bluray player UDP-205.
After updating Amazon Music to Version: 3.3.794.0, my device capability reads: 16-bit, 192khz.
I just bought the Firestick 4K Max last week hoping that I could get 24-bit, 192khz, but no luck.
If I hook up my pc via HDMI input on my Oppo UDP-205, I can stream Amazon Music at 24bit 192khz.
So I know my devices are capable, it's a software issue with the firesticks.
I see that people here are successfully getting 24bit/192 with the Cube, don't know if I want to spend that much!
The biggest annoyance with the cube is, the tracks will just drop to standard bitrate, unless you jump back a track to rectify it. The issue is, I want to stream music with the TV off, not constantly checking the currently playing status.

Upvote 0

David Alexander

The biggest annoyance with the cube is, the tracks will just drop to standard bitrate, unless you jump back a track to rectify it. The issue is, I want to stream music with the TV off, not constantly checking the currently playing status.
Not sure I’ve had much of a problem with the cube dropping back to standard. Not for a while at least. Sometimes at the start of an album or track it might take a while to go from standard to higher bitrate. But even then, I don’t think my ears could discern the difference when the track listing shifts between standard and higher.
I still need to do a comparison with a cd version of an album vs amazon stream through my amp to see how they sound. I’m sure I have some cds which Amazon have at 24bit 192hz would be interesting to err, “see” if I can hear any difference between “genuine cd” and “hi-res” through my system.

Upvote 0

Brava 210

Not sure I’ve had much of a problem with the cube dropping back to standard. Not for a while at least. Sometimes at the start of an album or track it might take a while to go from standard to higher bitrate. But even then, I don’t think my ears could discern the difference when the track listing shifts between standard and higher.
I still need to do a comparison with a cd version of an album vs amazon stream through my amp to see how they sound. I’m sure I have some cds which Amazon have at 24bit 192hz would be interesting to err, “see” if I can hear any difference between “genuine cd” and “hi-res” through my system.
That would be interesting, even when it states "standard" it could well be wrong.
I can always tell the difference between bitrates with headphones on, not so sure through amp/speakers though

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom