Amazon HD claimed bit depth and sample rates.

David Alexander

Prominent Member
Reaction score
The Amazon HD app gives you info on the quality of the track, the device capability, and the quality of what’s being played accordingly.
Has anyone independently measured the three variables?

I’ve plugged a Firestick 4K directly into my 24bit+ 192+ capable AVR and the app limits the output to 16bit/192KHz. Moved it fo TV then through AVR and got 24bit/48KHz (ARC only). Then cleared the cache on the app and replugged into TV>AVR and its now indicating, when track is 24bit/192KHz, is now actually playing at 24bit/192KHz (so full fat ultra HD!).

Does anyone have a piece of kit that can verify what the Amazon HD app states against the actuality?

I have just checked all the Live gapless albums in my music, they all play glitch free.
When you say 'glitch free' what do you mean? Give me an example and I'll check it on mine. All I know is there was a definite gap between tracks 1 and 2 on dark side of the moon , I'll check some others though , as I said give me an example and I'll see how mine behaves. Cheers

Upvote 0
Try "The Cult Dreamtime (Lyceum Live)"

Sorry but I like the Cult from this Era
IMG20211117193057.jpg

Upvote 0
Another question , how the hell do you fast forward through a track on the cube app? I'll be damned if I can find a way to do it. Fast forward button on remote skips to the next track. Basic stuff..
Tried that cult one , yeah seems ok , no gap between tracks 1 and 2.
In other news, has anyone had an issue where a track playing just pauses of its own accord part way through? Happened a couple of times this afternoon for me , weird

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Andy,
To fast forward keep your finger on the next button.
Yes I have had these random stops, no idea why.
Now that Tidal have dropped the price of HiFi quality I am trying that on the Cube now too.
Seems better so far with a quicker interface and simpler interface.
1637228058597682309887695985351.jpg

Gary

Upvote 0
Isn't it strange that Tidal works much better on an Amazon device than an Amazon app does?
It's super quick, no pauses, gapless and at HiFi Quality which is good enough for me.

Upvote 0
Isn't it strange that Tidal works much better on an Amazon device than an Amazon app does?
It's super quick, no pauses, gapless and at HiFi Quality which is good enough for me.

How much is tidal these days? I used to subscribe via Turkey and it cost me about £2 a month, had atmos content as well but it was very low volume, suspect it's probably the same now...I must say the app is really letting amazon music down, it's bloody awful compared to all the others I've used. Think I'm gonna jump ship to something else tbh

Upvote 0

How much is tidal these days? I used to subscribe via Turkey and it cost me about £2 a month, had atmos content as well but it was very low volume, suspect it's probably the same now...I must say the app is really letting amazon music down, it's bloody awful compared to all the others I've used. Think I'm gonna jump ship to something else tbh
Tidal is cutting ties with Turkey, so all those Turk subscribers are moving to Argentina. it costs about £1/£1.50 single/family for Diego. ;)

Upvote 0
I agree the App is awful, Tidal HiFi is now £9.99
hmmm might as well get apple music for the same price, at least that has spatial audio in atmos format in that price which tidal doesn't and as far as I know apple music (lossless) is the same quality as tidal hifi

Upvote 0
hmmm might as well get apple music for the same price, at least that has spatial audio in atmos format in that price which tidal doesn't and as far as I know apple music (lossless) is the same quality as tidal hifi
Thing is with all the Alexa's dotted around the House it's a lot easier and cheaper to use AM HD - £7.99 per Month and put up with the rubbish App

Upvote 0
Tidal is cutting ties with Turkey, so all those Turk subscribers are moving to Argentina. it costs about £1/£1.50 single/family for Diego. ;)
Just moved to argentina , £1.10pm for tidal hifi plus will do me nicely

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Atmos tracks are really low volume on Tidal though, can't believe they haven't sorted that out yet.

Upvote 0
Hmmm just had a pause occurrence streaming on the tidal app on the cube so it's not just the Amazon music app that's happening on. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else is having issues with music playback just stopping (pausing) for no reason on the Amazon music app or tidal app on the cube? Not sure if it's happening on the firestick as well as I haven't been using that since I got the cube but I think I'll give it a try cos if it's just the cube it's happening on it'll be going back
Edit: just happened again that's twice now in 3 tracks grrrrr

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Me neither, the only 'quirks' with the Cube is that I have to do a hard reset of the Cube at the start of every viewing/listening session in order the get the AVR to recognise it and that sometimes when switching sources my Arcam doesn't downmix 5.1/Atmos properly into 2.1 so you lose the 'centre' channel (requiring a hard reset of the Arcam).

Both of which of which could be Cube related or due to the weirdness that is the Arcam SR250.

Upvote 0
I've switched notifications off and it seemed better earlier, I'll leave it streaming this afty and see how it goes

Upvote 0
Well that didn't take long, another pause in the playback , annoying me now.
Connected it by ethernet, will see if that helps. Never had an issue with my firestick, in fact if I'm going to sack Amazon music off in favour of tidal now I've moved to Argentina 😉 I might as well send the cube back and stick to my firestick I had originally...

Upvote 0
Tried Ethernet, still pausing. Tried factory reset still pausing. Dammit , right back to the firestick , if that does it I don't know where I go from there...

Upvote 0
Or likely, it's better quality on Apple Music - the vast majority of the CD-res tracks on the new TIDAL HiFi tier will be either lossy MQA-CD ones or degraded mangled ones sourced from their lossy 24-bit MQA hi-res tracks, ie, very few actual lossless original CD-res tracks:

Upvote 0
Tried Ethernet, still pausing. Tried factory reset still pausing. Dammit , right back to the firestick , if that does it I don't know where I go from there...
Try a factory reset, I've not had any issue with Tidal stopping after an all afternoon listening session

Maybe cast to a Chromecast device? Not sure about gapless on those though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try a factory reset, I've not had any issue with Tidal stopping after an all afternoon listening session

Maybe cast to a Chromecast device? Not sure about gapless on those though.

Tried a factory reset as I said in that post you replied to. I tried the firestick and that was fine for the time I listened to it , will give the cube one more go before I submit my return request...

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom