Amazon HD claimed bit depth and sample rates.

David Alexander

The Amazon HD app gives you info on the quality of the track, the device capability, and the quality of what’s being played accordingly.
Has anyone independently measured the three variables?

I’ve plugged a Firestick 4K directly into my 24bit+ 192+ capable AVR and the app limits the output to 16bit/192KHz. Moved it fo TV then through AVR and got 24bit/48KHz (ARC only). Then cleared the cache on the app and replugged into TV>AVR and its now indicating, when track is 24bit/192KHz, is now actually playing at 24bit/192KHz (so full fat ultra HD!).

Does anyone have a piece of kit that can verify what the Amazon HD app states against the actuality?

Brava 210

The cube also isn't showing any Atmos (spatial audio) content unlike my phone, bonkers really I mean that's the point of a phone app having Atmos content but the fire cube app not?!
Dolby and all those other spatial things sound odd to me, although gapless would be great....

Upvote 0

David Alexander

I'll try and brave a concept album to see about the gapless thing. Unless anyone has a suggestion for an album where the songs segue into each other, otherwise it's Jethro Tull and Thick as a Brick :)

Upvote 0

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Well if you don't ask...suspect it won't come to anything but let's see..
Screenshot_20211105_172204_com.google.android.gm.jpg

Upvote 0

Brava 210

I'll try and brave a concept album to see about the gapless thing. Unless anyone has a suggestion for an album where the songs segue into each other, otherwise it's Jethro Tull and Thick as a Brick :)
Any news on gapless?

Upvote 0

David Alexander

I’m listening to thick as a brick and dark side of the moon and to be fair, it’s making a good fist at gapless. I’m forwarding to the musical junctions and the cube and app playing the tracks seamlessly.

Upvote 0

David Alexander

This £59 box is literally streaming a 24bit/96KHz stream of 2011 remastered The Dark Side Of The Moon seamlessly through my more than capable Arcam SR250 and speaker set up wonderfully. Sounds great.

Upvote 0

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Odd, I haven't got the ability to do Atmos as my set up is 2.1 but even the Dolby web site states that the cube is atmos enabled.

What's the experience of gapless/gapped playback?

It is Atmos enabled but there is no Atmos content on the cube TV Amazon music app unlike the Amazon music app on my phone for example

Upvote 0

Brava 210

This £59 box is literally streaming a 24bit/96KHz stream of 2011 remastered The Dark Side Of The Moon seamlessly through my more than capable Arcam SR250 and speaker set up wonderfully. Sounds great.
I'm gonna give the Cube a try, just ordered at £59

Upvote 0

Brava 210

I'm gonna give the Cube a try, just ordered at £59
Set the cube up with my Denon XVR2200.
All working great, it recognises the Denon correctly at 24 bit 192Khz which the firestick never did. Gapless works a treat also.
This is indeed a Streamer bargain.

Thanks for the heads up.
IMG_20211108_115735.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Set the cube up with my Denon XVR2200.
All working great, it recognises the Denon correctly at 24 bit 192Khz which the firestick never did. Gapless works a treat also.
This is indeed a Streamer bargain.

Thanks for the heads up.View attachment 1599320

Nice one, icing on the cake would be atmos content in the cube tv music app, ok it might not be everyone's cup of tea but it's the principle of it as far as I'm concerned. If amazon are advertisting spatial audio content it should be available on devices like the cube tv in my opinion

Upvote 0

David Alexander

@zAndy1 whats the deal with Atmos music?

I’ve 2.1 set up with my Arcam SR250 and the Amazon Music HD is streaming well enough through the cube.
I could possibly stream Amazon HD through the cube to my Onkyo AVR as 5.2 or 7.2 as well but I’d doubt I’d get the same musical fidelity as through my Arcam 2.1 set up.

Is there any music recorded in an Atmos format? Forgive me but I’m coming from a basic vinyl and cd background so no idea about other music formats.

Upvote 0

Brava 210

Only thing is you Cannot stream to it from the Amazon Music app

Upvote 0

Brava 210

@zAndy1 whats the deal with Atmos music?

I’ve 2.1 set up with my Arcam SR250 and the Amazon Music HD is streaming well enough through the cube.
I could possibly stream Amazon HD through the cube to my Onkyo AVR as 5.2 or 7.2 as well but I’d doubt I’d get the same musical fidelity as through my Arcam 2.1 set up.

Is there any music recorded in an Atmos format? Forgive me but I’m coming from a basic vinyl and cd background so no idea about other music formats.
I think a lot of this Spatial/Dolby stuff is re encoded from Stereo, I don't like it anyway

Upvote 0

David Alexander

My travel through streaming started with the basic prime offering. Then I realised that you had to get Amazon Unlimited to get a broader selection. And a Black Friday deal got me the HD service at no extra cost.
The Amazon app through my TV was basic. So I bought the fire TV4K stick but this didn’t recognise must Arcam as 24bit 192KHz capable. When the cube came available for 59 quid I gave this a go.
This works. I’ll have to compare the Amazon streaming via the cube through hdmi vs a cd of the same material going through the coax through my Arcam.
I’d like to say that if the cube can deliver those 0’s and 1’s through to my Arcam gapless and at 16/44 or even up to 24/192 if source allows then that’ll do for me. £79 a year for the HD subscription and £59 for the delivery method will do for me.
I also get Dolby DD+ Using cube through the Arcam which I can’t get from apps played through my older Samsung TV.

Upvote 0

Brava 210

Exactly my thoughts, I was using a bluesound Node which sounds Awesome, but I just dont use it enough. I have found the Cube very good so far. I have tested a few Gapless albums. I have found it sometimes show the playing Bitrate as "Standard" for some reason, Pausing and playing seems to sort it.

Upvote 0

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Exactly my thoughts, I was using a bluesound Node which sounds Awesome, but I just dont use it enough. I have found the Cube very good so far. I have tested a few Gapless albums. I have found it sometimes show the playing Bitrate as "Standard" for some reason, Pausing and playing seems to sort it.

Yeah I've noticed that "standard" bug, annoying

Upvote 0

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Surprised people are saying gapless works fine on the cube, there was a definite gap between the first and second track on dark side of the moon. Also how on earth do you add something to your music on the app? There seems to be no option to add an album to your library / playlist or like a track , if there is I can't find one.

Upvote 0

Brava 210

Not from my experience, I have had it in the case the whole time too.
I found the Samsung I had for a brief while got hot very quick with simple tasks

Surprised people are saying gapless works fine on the cube, there was a definite gap between the first and second track on dark side of the moon. Also how on earth do you add something to your music on the app? There seems to be no option to add an album to your library / playlist or like a track , if there is I can't find one.
I have noticed a couple of Albums glitch slightly, but In the main it's pretty good (Compared to the firestick) On the App if you find an Album you want to add to your music you will see a "+" just tap that and it will add it.

Upvote 0

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
I have noticed a couple of Albums glitch slightly, but In the main it's pretty good (Compared to the firestick) On the App if you find an Album you want to add to your music you will see a "+" just tap that and it will add it.

I honestly can't see anything to add an album to my music, e.g. nevermind , there is no '+' sign , just a list of tracks that I can't go up from , it's so annoying. Also when playing tracks there's no like or dislike icon to click on, sure I've seen that before. See this screenshot of the album, where's the + supposed to be?
IMG_20211117_102001.jpg

Upvote 0

Brava 210

You have to add albums from phone app, you cannot do it on the cube app.

Screenshot_2021-11-17-11-52-46-75_05744ec5f290d57c8d661ef31c5cf064.jpg

Upvote 0

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
You have to add albums from phone app, you cannot do it on the cube app.

View attachment 1604233

Ok that explains a lot, bloody ridiculous though, what's that all about? So I'm streaming something on the cube app and I like it so want to click thumbs up, I have to go to the phone app and do that? If so that's bonkers

Upvote 0

Brava 210

It's a bit odd yes.

Gary

Upvote 0

Brava 210

I have just checked all the Live gapless albums in my music, they all play glitch free.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Philips unveils A7507 TWS headphones and new rugged outdoor speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips FB1 soundbar will use Fidelio wireless platform
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips announces OLED807 and 8807 The One TVs for 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lenco launches 400 series turntable and speaker combo