Amazon HD claimed bit depth and sample rates.

David Alexander

The Amazon HD app gives you info on the quality of the track, the device capability, and the quality of what’s being played accordingly.
Has anyone independently measured the three variables?

I’ve plugged a Firestick 4K directly into my 24bit+ 192+ capable AVR and the app limits the output to 16bit/192KHz. Moved it fo TV then through AVR and got 24bit/48KHz (ARC only). Then cleared the cache on the app and replugged into TV>AVR and its now indicating, when track is 24bit/192KHz, is now actually playing at 24bit/192KHz (so full fat ultra HD!).

Does anyone have a piece of kit that can verify what the Amazon HD app states against the actuality?

hyde1969

Does the firestick decode the music stream with an inbuilt dac or does it send the signal digitally so that the amp it is plugged into is doing the decoding??

Upvote 0

David Alexander

The firestick streams digitally so it's the amp doing the decoding. I'm not sure what the process is as to how the App determines what the device (amps) capability is though.

Upvote 0

David Alexander

Firestick 4K supports Amazon HD. When I pluggged the firestick into my Onkyo 696 AVR the app recognised the device as 24 bit 192 KHz capable and set the play rate as such with music sources of that quality. Since pioneer and Onkyo share the same components this may well work for you. Or if your TV has eARC then jacking the stick into the tv hdmi should also work.
My issue was that through my Arcam the Amazon app through the. Firestick capped the play rate at 16 bit. Yet through the tv it recognised the capability as 24 bit/192KHz. Problem being, I have only ARC on my Samsung, so I would have thought the best I would get through my tv would be capped at 48KHz.
Hence my question as to how I can trust what the Amazon app is telling me about source quality, device capability and play quality.
In theory though you should be able to stream. It’s why I signed up for Amazon unlimited and took advantage of a free HD upgrade as it just cost me 79 quid for a year of Unlimited HD.

Upvote 0

David Alexander

Ok, so the firestick didn’t get me 24 bit 192KHz. However the firecube I just got has. On it’s original software version (3.2.148.0) it was 24 bit 48KHz and I wasn’t holding out much hope for the update (3.3.794.0). But with the upgrade I’m now getting full 24 bit 192KHz, track allowing, through to my Arcam. So the fire cube tv looks to work where the firestick 4K didn’t. The firecube was reduced to £70 in the sale but that ends today. However, for a streamer that allows full 24 bit 192KHz through to my Arcam SR250, seems good value to me.

Upvote 0

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
I'm using a firestick 4k connected via HDMI to my Denon avrx2200w which I believe should be 24/192 compatible but it's playing at 16/192
IMG_20211011_165414.jpg

Should this work at 24bit and if so what do I need to do to get it working? Cheers

Upvote 0

Brava 210

I had the same issue with the firestick, I believe it is a software issue with the Denon Amp. I ended up getting the Bluesound Node 2i.
The firestick does not do gapless either

Upvote 0

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
I had the same issue with the firestick, I believe it is a software issue with the Denon Amp. I ended up getting the Bluesound Node 2i.
The firestick does not do gapless either

Thanks, not quite sure I'm up for stumping up £450 for the bluesound node 2i though, might give the echo studio a go, more my price range and yes I know it won't be the last word in audio fidelity but it's probably good enough for what I need

Upvote 0

Brava 210

Thanks, not quite sure I'm up for stumping up £450 for the bluesound node 2i though, might give the echo studio a go, more my price range and yes I know it won't be the last word in audio fidelity but it's probably good enough for what I need
I have the studio also, how are you gonna connect that to Amp?

Upvote 0

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
I have the studio also, how are you gonna connect that to Amp?

I wasn't planning to, I was just going to use it standalone, didn't realise it could be connected to an amp to be honest, does it have a hdmi out?

Upvote 0

Brava 210

No it can't. I use mine standalone.

Upvote 0

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Upvote 0

Brava 210

Very good, and very loud.

Upvote 0

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Very good, and very loud.

I've got a Google home max, I must admit I very much enjoy listening to music on that so I'm pretty sure I'd like the echo studio as well and it obviously has some nice features I don't get with the google max. Does the echo studio sound better with 24/192 ultra hd audio compared to 16/44, is there a discernible difference?

Upvote 0

Brava 210

Not really, I usually listen to the radio tbh.
But on good quality recordings it's very enjoyable

Upvote 0

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
I guess the other option maybe it's the fire tv cube, by all accounts (e.g. mentioned above) the cube passes 24/192 fine whereas the firestick 4k doesn't.
@David Alexander is that still the case?

Upvote 0

David Alexander

I guess the other option maybe it's the fire tv cube, by all accounts (e.g. mentioned above) the cube passes 24/192 fine whereas the firestick 4k doesn't.
@David Alexander is that still the case?
Yes, the cube passes 24/192 with the Arcam, whereas the Fire TV 4K stick wouldn't.

On first set up, the 4K stick would play 24/48 then with the software update (no way round this as it 'self-updates') it maxed out at 16/192. With the cube, on first set up it played at 24/48 and then at 24/192 following the software update to latest version.

I couldn't see the point of the Echo range, the Arcam SR250 would beat all Amazon systems hands-down for SQ. I don't think I could tell the difference between 16/48 and 24/192 tbh. A decent album recorded at 16/48 (as it plays through the Amazon app) sounds good. The main difference for me is therefore the quality of the actual recording and whether I have Dirac EQ on or off.

Upvote 0

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Just found another issue, I can't cast to my Google home max speaker from the Amazon music app on my phone , it doesn't show up as an available device to cast to. Shows up in the Tidal app so not sure why it doesn't in the Amazon music app. Honestly Amazon don't half make life difficult don't they...

Upvote 0

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Fire TV cube down to £59.99 on Amazon at the mo, couldn't resist at that price so I'll see how it goes and if it detects my Denon amp as being 24/192 capable unlike the firestick 4k. Will update tomorrow...

Upvote 0

David Alexander

Fire TV cube down to £59.99 on Amazon at the mo, couldn't resist at that price so I'll see how it goes and if it detects my Denon amp as being 24/192 capable unlike the firestick 4k. Will update tomorrow...
As an Amazon HD streaming device i've found the cube works and is probably the best value option to get the job done. I've got handshaking issues which means that for every Cube session I invariably have to do a hard reset on both cube and AVR but I can't pin this down to a fault with the cube, Arcam AVR or even the TV. But it's not he end of the world to get up and move 6' to do a bit of AV twiddling. Also means that Alexa/Bezos isn't constantly eavesdropping :)

Upvote 0

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Can confirm the cube is showing my denon receiver as 24/192 capable so it's clearly a firestick specific issue and I can't see how Amazon can claim it's a receiver problem

Upvote 0

Brava 210

Can confirm the cube is showing my denon receiver as 24/192 capable so it's clearly a firestick specific issue and I can't see how Amazon can claim it's a receiver problem
Interesting, does the cube do gapless?

Upvote 0

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Upvote 0

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
The cube also isn't showing any Atmos (spatial audio) content unlike my phone, bonkers really I mean that's the point of a phone app having Atmos content but the fire cube app not?!

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 24th November 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Panasonic 2021 TV update brings full 4K resolution with VRR and HFR