Question Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K or ROKU Streaming Stick + or something else

pcdunk

Hi, I have my old Panasonic TX-55AX902B in my man-cave in my house. I have no aerial connection and one is not possible. I do have wifi which I use for iPlayer and YouTube.

Now I have no requirement on this set to have any kind of subscription service.

The set is old it has a very limited set of Apps.

I would like to get 4, UK TV Play, My5, ITV hub, STV player. If possible YouTube in 4K as I don't think the app supplied with the TV is 4k

Would appreciate some advice on what to get looking at the two above but there is maybe something else

coolblu

Had the original Amazon fire stick and it was so sluggish that it put me off Amazon media streamers, so I upgraded to the Roku streaming +. This was a lot faster and had an ok GUI, but it overheated when playing 4K stuff.

So I bought an Nvidia Shield tv pro - received today and so far very happy. Pic quality is as expected for 4K media but the sound quality really impressed. It’s also fast and some of the games look interesting.

Maybe consider the Apple TV 4K as well.

Eddy555

I'd vote for the RokuSS+, I've used it for years and it's been great, although there are a few minor niggles like fixed 60Hz output for Netflix (which doesn't seem to cause me too many issues).
Having just bought the nVidia ShieldTV (tube version), I'd strongly steer away from it.
There's no All 4 app, it doesn't natively support frame rate switching, but you can add an app to do it, it's still clunky. YouTube doesn't support HDR (maybe not an issue for your case), and my list of gripes in increasing. I don't see it being worth the £150 asking price, when the Roku is £50.
The Roku has all the apps you list.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Fire stick 4K for me. I have an AppleTV which is pretty, a Roku which is decent value but the stick is my go to device. Works well with Alexa devices for hands free control.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX 4K OLED TV Review: The best TV of 2020?
Top Bottom