Amazon Fire TV 4k stick MAX - No ATMOS on Disney+ Workaround.

Soundhound811

After much frustration and no reply from multiple messages to Disney+ support I found a workaround myself for the sudden lack of ATMOS audio on my Firestick 4K TV Max.

You’ll need to install Kodi on the firestick 4k Max. I’d put this on already to run PLEX. Once Kodi is installed you need to then install the Disney+ app through Kodi.

GUIDE HERE:

This is an official app and you’ll need a Disney plus subscription it WILL NOT GIVE YOU FREE DISNEY PLUS!!!

When that’s installed open the Disney+ app and go to settings. In the Kodi version of the Disney+ app you get lots more choice regarding audio settings. You need to go to the playback option under settings.

My settings
Playback - Custom
Max Bandwidth- 100
H.265 - on
Dolby Atmos - on
HDR10/4k - on

Make sure to click OK to save

Voila!!! Disney+ with ATMOS on FIRE TV 4k Max through Kodi and all above board!

You lose the fancy Disney menu system but for now it’s worth it to have ATMOS back.

You may need to go into Kodi’s Audio settings and allow 7.1 audio and passthrough in expert mode. There are some options to turn on for the receiver you are using in there too.

Hope this helps!

dion 6

I've just gone to watch Disney and noticed no atmos on the max. Any reason as to why its not supported?
It seems very strange that's there's no atmos support on the new max atmos plays with no problems on the older 4k firestick I've just tried Black widow

Nels5320

I picked up the new Max over the weekend on the brilliant offer. Set it up this evening and can confirm I’m receiving Atmos from Netflix, Amazon and Disney.

Galaxy

I bought the new Firestick on the offer also, and have had an issue with Atmos (it’s in another thread) when the Firestick is plugged directly into the screen HDMI inputs, I have a 65” Sammy and a Sammy 950 sound bar, according to Samsung my TV is compatible w9th Atmos pass through on ARC but any amount of fiddling doesn’t help…..so resorted to plugging the Firestick directly into an HDMI input on the sound bar and feeding the video through to ARC to the screen, every time now when Atmos is advertised it has worked, so seems to be a compatibility issue between screen and bar rather than Disney broadcast.

jmueller216

Novice Member
No idea why, that’s why I plumped for an Apple TV in the end to get atmos out of all the apps. It’s even worse if you have a 1080p projector too with most devices.
So are you getting Atmos on Dinsey Plus with a 1080p projector and Apple TV? I've tried so many devices but can't get Atmos on Disney Plus. I'd spring for ATV if it will work with my 1080p projector. I've gotten Atmos on HBO and Netflix, but nothing has worked for Disney Plus.

Broadsword

So are you getting Atmos on Dinsey Plus with a 1080p projector and Apple TV? I've tried so many devices but can't get Atmos on Disney Plus. I'd spring for ATV if it will work with my 1080p projector. I've gotten Atmos on HBO and Netflix, but nothing has worked for Disney Plus.

Yes I am. It doesn’t always show on the Disney info pane that it is atmos but my amp lights up atmos. I can tell it is atmos mostly too, the room spinning on doctor strange is especially good.

It doesn’t work with Amazon though, can’t get any atmos from them.

DKI

Yes I am. It doesn’t always show on the Disney info pane that it is atmos but my amp lights up atmos. I can tell it is atmos mostly too, the room spinning on doctor strange is especially good.

It doesn’t work with Amazon though, can’t get any atmos from them.

Amazon it depends on the content but it's very limited with Atmos. If you try out Jack Ryan, The Expanse Season 5 and Wheel of Time are three shows that have Atmos it will play Atmos. There is more but I am also tired and can't pull the full list of TV shows and movies but I know it's a very short list but it's there.

The Fire TV device interface I noticed has removed the listing of 5.1 audio and HD which is annoying cause it use to be if it had UHD but no 5.1 listed it tend to of been Atmos most of the time and that was a way to tell but now it's more difficult to see that.

Disney+ does play Atmos on the firestick but I have seen it's been hit and miss as to when they add the content with Atmos. Sometimes it's HDR10 with 5.1, Sometimes its Dolby Vision with 5.1 only and then other times it's Dolby Vision and Atmos. Disney is quite inconsistent when it comes to adding content and what format it's in lately. It would be nice if they did it all in Vision and Atmos and not what ever they feel like.

The one good thing is Apple now has added Atmos to Apple TV. Netflix I can't understand why they never added Atmos to the old firestick 4k but at least they added it to the Firestick 4K Max.

Broadsword

Amazon it depends on the content but it's very limited with Atmos. If you try out Jack Ryan, The Expanse Season 5 and Wheel of Time are three shows that have Atmos it will play Atmos. There is more but I am also tired and can't pull the full list of TV shows and movies but I know it's a very short list but it's there.

The Fire TV device interface I noticed has removed the listing of 5.1 audio and HD which is annoying cause it use to be if it had UHD but no 5.1 listed it tend to of been Atmos most of the time and that was a way to tell but now it's more difficult to see that.

Disney+ does play Atmos on the firestick but I have seen it's been hit and miss as to when they add the content with Atmos. Sometimes it's HDR10 with 5.1, Sometimes its Dolby Vision with 5.1 only and then other times it's Dolby Vision and Atmos. Disney is quite inconsistent when it comes to adding content and what format it's in lately. It would be nice if they did it all in Vision and Atmos and not what ever they feel like.

The one good thing is Apple now has added Atmos to Apple TV. Netflix I can't understand why they never added Atmos to the old firestick 4k but at least they added it to the Firestick 4K Max.

He was asking about this using a 1080p projector. I do not get atmos from apple TV from amazon to my 1080p projector on anything, even the titles you have mentioned. Disney plus will not output Atmos when connected to a 1080p source using a firestick or fire cube but it does using a apple TV. I've not checked the new 4k max sticks though.

Galaxy

Oddly, I bought the 4K Max for the living room set up as we have an Atmos sound bar there, but in the cinema room I have had the standard 4K for a long time but last night upon using the 4K stick it came up with the Atmos signal on the Yamaha Receiver, I wonder if there has been a software update as I don’t remember it ever showing Atmos on the 4K stock before?

edit….hang on I just checked the box that the old Firestick 4K came in and it clearly states on the box it decodes Dolby Vision and Atmos…..I’d never noticed it before I guess as we only just signed up for Disney+ which has a lot of Atmos content.

So the normal Firestick 4K did have Atmos.

Last edited:

jmueller216

Novice Member
I know this is a little off of the original topic, but I thought it might still be the right place to post. If not, I can make a new post. I upgraded to a 4k projector (optoma uhd50x) and Nvidia shield pro, but still no atmos on Disney Plus (and I guess maybe no 4k either? I can still get atmos from Netflix and HBO Max (and streaming from Plex). I'm not seeing it on Amazon either. I don't have a firestick at the moment, as mine got stolen from a hotel room, but it seems to me it should be working on the shield? The only other thing I've been seeing is about internet speeds. My DL is about 100 Mbps, which is more than the 25 required. UL is probably only about 5. I haven't seen anything official about UL speed from Disney, but I saw a thread somewhere that was discussing the possibility that they had started requiring a higher UL speed for some reason. I'm really getting frustrated not being able to get atmos (and 4k) from Disney plus. Any thoughts? Receiver is Yamaha tsr-7810.

Galaxy

We get Disney very reliably with our average 30mb/dl and 4mb/up with Atmos/4K on both our Firesticks, and one is the first edition 4K.

First edition 4K is direct into the Yamaha V6A and onto our projector, the latest FS4K is direct into a Yamaha Atmos sound bar, with HDMI return to an old (2016) Sammy 65”.

jmueller216

Novice Member
I might have to pick up another fire stick just to see if that works, but I don't understand why the 4k projector and shield shouldn't be enough.

Since I am new to 4k, when you are streaming something in 4k, does it show as 4k/UHD/similar on the lower left of the screen (I think when you pause, etc.)? I know mine said HD. I also rented Venom 2 in UHD on Amazon last night, and it also said HD on Amazon's little info bar (again, I think it's when you pause or fast forward). Should that be changing if 4k content is being displayed, or does it always just say HD?

Galaxy

On my projector I have to,go into settings and view what the picture information is giving, I haven’t found a way to just press a button that shows res while playing.

jmueller216

Novice Member
I hadn't found those settings until now, thanks! What I was actually asking about (but may now be irrelevant) is within some of the apps, like Amazon, when you pause or do something to show the progress bar of the movie, next to how much time is left it says HD. I was wondering if that should say UHD if it's displaying 4k.

So...I ended up picking up another fire stick for $30, and it was worth it. I'm now getting Atmos and 4k on Disney Plus and Amazon, which I was not before. I have Venom paused right now, and it does in fact say Ultra HD HDR where it used to just say HD. I have no idea why the $200 Nvidia Shield Pro isn't doing this - it's giving me Atmos on things like Netflix, so it doesn't seem like it is settings. But, at least I seem to now be able to get Atmos and 4k everywhere I should with the $30 fire stick 4k. Thanks for the responses! Kind of sucks to have to switch between devices, but at this point, I will take it.
Edit: 1. discovered Netflix would not do Atmos on Fire Stick 4k. Since discovered that's because it needs FireOS 7, which is on 4k Max. 2. again, a bit off-topic, but discovered that only 3 of my receivers hdmi ports support hdcp 2.2 - switched my shield to one of those, and now I am getting Atmos and 4k where expected; in my case, I can now return the fire stick. thanks again for the suggestions/info!

Last edited:

HoosierCajun

Novice Member
I hadn't found those settings until now, thanks! What I was actually asking about (but may now be irrelevant) is within some of the apps, like Amazon, when you pause or do something to show the progress bar of the movie, next to how much time is left it says HD. I was wondering if that should say UHD if it's displaying 4k.

So...I ended up picking up another fire stick for $30, and it was worth it. I'm now getting Atmos and 4k on Disney Plus and Amazon, which I was not before. I have Venom paused right now, and it does in fact say Ultra HD HDR where it used to just say HD. I have no idea why the $200 Nvidia Shield Pro isn't doing this - it's giving me Atmos on things like Netflix, so it doesn't seem like it is settings. But, at least I seem to now be able to get Atmos and 4k everywhere I should with the $30 fire stick 4k. Thanks for the responses! Kind of sucks to have to switch between devices, but at this point, I will take it.
Edit: 1. discovered Netflix would not do Atmos on Fire Stick 4k. Since discovered that's because it needs FireOS 7, which is on 4k Max. 2. again, a bit off-topic, but discovered that only 3 of my receivers hdmi ports support hdcp 2.2 - switched my shield to one of those, and now I am getting Atmos and 4k where expected; in my case, I can now return the fire stick. thanks again for the suggestions/info!
Good, was going to suggest checking for hdcp 2.2 was probably the issue, an suggest the 4k Max, which is what I use and love it.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom