Question Amazon Fire TV 4K Box Disney+ Issues

digitaldave

I recently signed up for Disney +, but I’ve found a couple of issues.

Using the app on an Amazon Fire TV 4k, I can only get stereo sound, not 5.1, and I can not get 4k resolution, only hd. However when I use it on a Samsung tv with the app, it reports that the 4k version is available (this is from the main info panel, if I go to the details panel, it always says 4k is available). Unfortunately I can’t tell if the sound is in 5.1 on the Samsung tv as it doesn’t have a surround setup.

I’ve read a couple of posts here where people have said that Disney is currently restricting to 1440p, but if that was the case, surely I wouldn’t be able to get the 4K version on my Samsung tv?

I have checked other sources on the Fire tv, and they all show 4k, with 5.1 sound.

Any idea what is happening here?

crabby09

We have 4k fire TV boxes... 3 of them... And none provide surround sound. I can't be sure of picture as we only have 1080p screens.

All output surround sound just fine with every other service.

jontell

I get 5.1 from my Firestick 4k from Disney+.

You say your stick is plugged into your TV right? Have you got an avr or some other speaker system then connected that can process 5.1? If your playing sound from your tv speakers it will only say stereo I believe, the app knows the capabilities of connected equipment.

If you are using an avr or similar, go in to your stick settings and select DD as the sound output.

In regards to 4k, it says 4k but at the moment we only get 1440p until restrictions are lifted when it should revert to 2160p.

digitaldave

I currently have an older Fire TV 4k box, not the stick. It’s plugged in to the avr, and and reports only stereo input for Disney+, all other sources on the box show full surround. I’m hoping that it’s because the box is an older device...

digitaldave

Update: I can confirm that the problem was the old Fire TV box - I replaced it with a Fire Stick 4K, and it correctly outputs surround sound, not stereo.

NickL76

Novice Member
I'm having the same problem on our Fire TV 4k box. Disappointing to hear that it's only resolved by upgrading hardware that should easily be capable of doing the job properly.

crabby09

I'm having the same problem on our Fire TV 4k box. Disappointing to hear that it's only resolved by upgrading hardware that should easily be capable of doing the job properly.
Totally agree... I guess it's a consequence of our disposable culture, but it sure has left a bitter taste in the mouth. I guess I'll have to look at other options and move away from Amazon :/

NickL76

Novice Member
What's particularly annoying is that the hardware spec of the old 4k box is higher than the newer non-4k stick which doesn't seem to have this problem. And it doesn't affect Prime Video or Netflix on the same boxes. This suggests that the problem is software-related, so it's Disney's responsibility and probably simple to fix.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX 4K OLED TV Review: The best TV of 2020?
Top Bottom