Amazon Fire Stick - how to add to receiver?

Alps

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I've been trying to connect my Amazon Fire Stick to my Onkyo 3010 but I'm just not having any luck in getting it to work.

This is what I've done so far:

* Connected the Fire Stick to the Onkyo's STB/DVR HDMI port. Connected Fire Stick to mains.

* Onkyo out to HDBase T.

* HDBase T to TV HDMI 1 port.

I'm also using a Harmony One remote.

All my other devices work fine via this method.

Guys,

I've been trying to connect my Amazon Fire Stick to my Onkyo 3010 but I'm just not having any luck in getting it to work.

This is what I've done so far:

* Connected the Fire Stick to the Onkyo's STB/DVR HDMI port. Connected Fire Stick to mains.

* Onkyo out to HDBase T.

* HDBase T to TV HDMI 1 port.

I'm also using a Harmony One remote.

All my other devices work fine via this method.
Does it work ok if you connect it direct to the TV?

Does it work ok if you connect it direct to the TV?

It works fine when connected to the tv.

I just need to know how to connect it via the amp and to get sound through my external amp speakers.

It works fine when connected to the tv.

I just need to know how to connect it via the amp and to get sound through my external amp speakers.
Just checking.

Generally the Fire Sticks should work ok through AVRs. Are you changing your AVR input when the stick is connected?

Just checking.

Generally the Fire Sticks should work ok through AVRs. Are you changing your AVR input when the stick is connected?

I hope my last reply didn't come across rude. Sorry. It wasnt meant to be.

And yup. I'm changing the AVR input directly from the AVR itself but still no luck.

Totally puzzled!

I hope my last reply didn't come across rude. Sorry. It wasnt meant to be.

And yup. I'm changing the AVR input directly from the AVR itself but still no luck.

Totally puzzled!
No worries :) what are you changing the input to? I'm assuming your AVR is connected via HDMI to your TV?

I'm changing it to STB/DVR. And TV is connected via HDMI to HDMI 1.

Guy, I've bumped this as I tried again to connect the fire stick to the Onkyo today and after a couple of hours of trying several options I've still be unsuccessful.

I tried the connections I mentioned above. They didn't work.

I then tried other hdmi connections (game 2 etc). That didn't work.

I tried connecting it direct to the side hdmi on the tv and using Onkyo set to "no connection". That didn't work.

I'm now out of ideas.

Can anyone help please?

On my old Onkyo I had to designate the HDMI ports to a particular source in the menu. Have you tried swapping it with one of the other cables? Etc unplug sky box and plug in firestick and see if it works on the sky input.

Thanks for the reply mate.

I did assign my HDMI ports to a particular source. I connected the Fire Stick to both the Game 2 and PC HDMI ports on the AVR and in settings assigned them to HDMI 4. But that didn't work. I get the Onkyo's menu come on the TV but just not the Amazon screen. Accidentally, by frustratingly clicking all the buttons on the Amazon remote, I bought a TV episode!!!

I also tried your suggestion of connecting the stick to my Sky connection but that also didn't work.

I then set the fire stick to output at 720p in case that worked. Alas, no luck!

I also spoke to Onkyo, who were at a loss as to why it's not working.

I've now just reconnected it to the TV's HDMI port.

I remember having issues with an Amazon stick along with my old Onkyo 1010.
I found I needed to change the output resolution settings on the amp. E.g. Change from 1080p to Through or something similar in the HDMI settings. The fire stick was very picky on which mode it would allow. Sorry I can't be more specific as I don't own the Onkyo anymore.

I remember having issues with an Amazon stick along with my old Onkyo 1010.
I found I needed to change the output resolution settings on the amp. E.g. Change from 1080p to Through or something similar in the HDMI settings. The fire stick was very picky on which mode it would allow. Sorry I can't be more specific as I don't own the Onkyo anymore.

Thanks pop. Does that mean that all my devices (Sky HD, Oppo BD etc) would need to be changed to Through? Or can you choose which device should be Through and which can be set to 1080P?

I can't remember if the HDMI resolution settings on the amp are global or per input. Just try different settings as see what works.
I found the fire stick didn't like the amp doing anything to the signal so I needed Through or Direct (or something similar).

I'll try fiddling around and see if I have any success.

I suggest you could connect the Fire TV stick to an HDMI input on the TV, then run a digital audio cable from the TV to the Onkyo AVR. So TV set to the HDMI input that the Fire Stick is connected to, TV set to output audio via digital audio (should do it automatically) AVR set to the digital audio input from the TV.

This works for me for a Chromecast 2 to TV and soundbar. Don't see why it wouldn't work for your set-up.

Thanks Lisa. Unfortunately, about 2 years back I stupidly decided I wanted all my equipment under the stairs so the TV is a fair few feet away from my AVR. I decision I regretted soon after everything was put together!

Thanks. Unfortunately, about 2 years back I stupidly decided I wanted all my equipment under the stairs so the TV is a fair few feet away from my AVR. I decision I regretted soon after everything was put together!
Oh :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so I have an Onkyo HT-R380 (an older receiver) I had the same exact issue as you - BUT I THINK I FOUND THE FIX. I could only get my fire stick to work if I plugged it directly into the HDMI port on the TV. Initially, Just like you, I plugged into my Onkyo, I did not get any picture or sound - not even menu. But I solved it. I went to "settings" (when it was connected directly to TV) on the Firestick and changed two setting and then replugged it back to the back of the receiver in the cbl/sat plug but I'm sure it would have worked any any of the ports. (READ BELOW FOR SETTING I CHANGED)

In the fire stick mention go to the far right "Settings". From there, I went to "Visual/Audio" (it is called something similar to that - I can't go back and look right now because my family is watching the TV) and changed it to "Dolby Surround over HDMI cable"
Then I changed the "Visual" setting to 720. My TV is only a 720.

Boom!!! it worked. To be honest I think it was the "Dolby Surround over HDMI cable" change that made it work but I am not going back to check. I hope this works. I do not frequent this forum at all. I was just searching for a fix and read this page. I didn't see viable solutions here or maybe I got frustrated and just started playing with the settings. I was about to not even post my finding because it meant me having to create an account. But, I did't want to be "that guy" so well....I posted. I hope this fix works for you like it did for me.

Right, guys I finally had a chance the other day to re-try all the above suggestions to get my Firestick to work with my 3010 but still no luck.

I changed the Onkyo setting from Custom to Direct. I changed the Firestick from 1080p to 720. I changed to Dolby Surround over HDMI. And after all that, when I plug the stick into the receiver I get nothing but a blue screen!

Any more suggestions greatly welcome :)

Guys, I have the same issue,
Except with a small exception. I have the old fire tv stick as well as the new generation Fire TV Stick 4K. The old generation stick works fine when connected to my new Onkyo TX-NR686, however there is a blue screen when I connect the new Fire TV Stick 4K. The Stick works fine when I connect it directly to my Sony KD-65A9F television, audio is passed through the ARC port connected to my amplifier. Has anyone being facing this issue or is it just me here. I have tried using different cables, using different ports in the amplifier to no avail. I have several devices connected to the amplifier which works like a charm eg : PS4, Zappiti 4-K HDR, my STB etc. I tried doing a reset of my amplifier as well. Any techies in the room,
Pls help.

Hi guys,
I just joined the site as I have a similar issue!
I have been using the original Amazon Fire TV box with my Cambridge Audio Receiver and Panasonic PTAT6000 projector with Dolby Digital Plus for years and no issues. The Cambridge has Dolby Digital Plus which was my reason for purchasing it.
I recently bought the 4K stick as my old Amazon Fire TV box was having issues with frames and image shudder.
I plugged my new 4K Fire stick into the back of the amp, the same HDMI socket the original Amazon box was connected to. The picture was perfect and the odd frame shuddering issue gone (great!) but there is no sound.
The receiver isn't able to lock onto any audio signals from the Fire Stick, I tried all the audio formats down to Stereo but all the time the receiver just flashes HDMI which is what it does when it can't find an audio signal. All the time the picture over HDMI is fine by the way.
I even plugged my old Fire TV back into the receiver, that still worked fine with Dolby Digital Plus - so it's definitely something to do with the new 4k Fire Stick.
The Cambridge Receiver is configured as straight through so it's not trying to mess with the HDMI signals.
Any ideas?

I just purchased Fire TV stick 4k version yesterday. Strangely, I too am having more troubles than I care to admit. Anyway, I will be fidgeting with mine today and if I get it up and running, I'll post back here. So, yeah - I could plug it into my TV, but doing it that way while utilizing my AVR seems to be a nightmare. Functions just get all wonky when I do it this way, so my preference is to plug the stick into my AVR direct and go that route.

Since I wrote this I’ve also contacted Cambridge Audio who have raised it with their technical team. As the amps not in their current lineup I am not holding my breath for a fix but we will see, also the firmware in my amp can’t be updated remotely.
I think if a fix comes from anyone it will have to be Amazon.
It’s also worth putting something on the Amazon technical forums. I have got a post on there already, you should find it in the Fire Stick section. The more people comment the more likely Amazon will look into a fix.

Interesting, I also had an issue with the Fire 4k stick and ended up disabling HDMI - CEC on the Fire stick, rebooted everything and all was ok just have to select the av input manually on the avr (yamaha)

Glad I found this thread. Fixed my flicker issue...thank you maxwell!!!
- Amazon 4k FireStick
- Vizio D-Series 60"
- Onkyo TX-NR686

Solution - turn off CEC on the FireStick from inside the menu either by plugging into another TV or patiently between flickers :). I noticed the FireStick remote was now allowing power control of the receiver and the tv...and after reading this...all I had to do was disable CEC in the display editing area of the FireStick...left the output to Auto 4k UHD. No more issues.

*Edit Update
I still had pixels all over the place with the above config...so I moved the FireStick directly to the TV...and much better. Perfect screen...full UHD settings...the audio plays back to the Receiver for surround sound over the HDMI cable...and all the new power control (both tv and receiver) and volume works. I think I’ll keep it this way

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom