Question Amazon European Warranty

xs2man

Established Member
Reaction score
Gents, and Ladies,

I am looking at a new Projector, and have noticed the massive saving that can be had when buying from other European Amazon sites. For example, there can be as much as £500 off the Sony HW40es.

Now this brings this projector far closer to my original budget, that I could justify the stretch to it. However, it would be coming from Spain, and in particular, from BeamerGoesPro.

Does this pose any sort of warranty issue on these products? I mean, I could get it from Richer Sounds with a nice 5 or 6 year warranty, but pay the extra £500 or so. But does the warranty from the likes of Amazon.es stack up?

To be honest, I wont be getting the Sony if not from here likely, as the extra coin puts it enough out of reach to discard it from the list of potentials. Meaning I'm more likely looking at the likes of the Epson TW6600.

Anyway, who here has done this? Have you had any issues with warranties as a result?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
You should have a read of the "Is this a good warranty...." thread a couple of threads down. It specifically deals with Beamer and Amazon so will give you some insight on one Member's experience.

I did read that to be honest. And it isn't great. But that is only one persons experience. I was asking if there was any other peoples experiences really. Or any experience not from beamer goes pro.

Last edited:
Probably best to phone / email Sony UK and find out where they stand exactly on European imports. Of course it could be even worse than you expect - you might not even be buying a European projector (it could be a US import being sold by a company out of Spain) - which definitely wouldn't have a warranty here from Sony.

There is at least one guy on here who has had a terrible time with Sony support on a UK supplied projector; that only got resolved once the UK retailer got involved. Can't imagine you stand any chance of getting such intervention from a foreign supplier.

I think sometimes you have to question if you can really afford to buy something if the only way you can afford to get it is via some compromised route which will only work out if you have good luck with it.

There are UK suppliers who will do a deal and sell you a UK HW40ES for less than the retail price. In my mind the two approaches that make sense are to buy new through a good, local supply route with a known good warranty, or try to buy good low use second hand kit for no more than a third of the original price. Saving 20-30% off retail on what is still an expensive item that I couldn't afford to lose the money on just doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

I am that man.

I bought from amazon.fr via beamer goes pro. wouldn't do it again. I would maybe buy from amazon euro if its sold by them, as if there's a problem at least you can get it retuned easy.

I will update my thread at some point but essentially ive had to pay £32 to ship it back to amazon.fr, they are very concerned about the poor experience I had and are going to refund me the total I paid plus the £32, hopefully.

I had a nagging feeling when I bought it that this might not be a sensible idea but the lure of a big discount won me over.

what I would be inclined to start asking as a consumer generally is why are items so much cheaper in other Eurozone countries? I might contact Which as I know they did an article on how we are being ripped compared to people in the US, even when VAT is taken out of the price comparison. I remember not so many years ago car manufacturers doing something similar and giving all sorts of bull as to why they added maybe £5k to a car in the UK. I believe they called the UK treasure island as they could milk higher prices. anyway now with the internet there is even less ways they can hide these price differences and to amazon's credit less ways they can keep screwing us over.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Are they actually identical terms though - I mean, do you know you get exactly the same warranty with each? They could quite legitimately have quite different warranties included with them. I don't know, but worth checking.

We live in a free market where retailers are (generally) free of the shackles of manufacturer dictated pricing; if retailers in countries where salaries are generally lower decide to price goods to try and sell them well in those territories, trying to build sales in weaker markets, then so be it. Their costs will be lower in such territories too; some of that saving gets perhaps gets passed on.

If manufacturers decide to wholesale products at different prices in certain markets, not really sure what business of ours that is.

Amazon UK themselves now seem to be better than they used to be - there was a time when for stuff they sold themselves you'd mostly get fobbed off onto the manufacturer despite what their obligations might be - I remember having a heck of a fight with them over £30 worth of powerline adapters a few weeks over a year old. In this country at least they seem to be trying to offer a better customer service, and mostly just take it back and refund. Even though it is the same parent company - I'm not sure I'd want to bet on a large purchase that they will have the same strategy globally.

I think some of it is also down to UK buyers being a little too quick to part with money. another example is a work colleague uses a Brazilian, I think, proxy to buy digital games via steam and other systems. he buys the latest releases for about 40% or less of the UK price.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom