Amazon Echo network issue

Zaichik

I have number of Amazon Echo devices, which all connect to my Netgear Orbi mesh network. All was working well until yesterday.

Now, one of my Echo Shows won't connect. Initially, both the Show and the Orbi app showed it was connected to the network but whenever I asked Alexa for anything, it said it had no connection. This morning, I decided to factory reset the Show to see if that fixed the problem, but it won't connect to the network at all now.

It has no problem connecting to and working with a mobile hotspot on my phone. I can't understand why it won't connect to my main WiFi as nothing has changed. (I've checked the Orbi settings and can't see anything different. It's definitely not set to block this Echo device.) All the other Echo devices are working fine.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be?

happy_2008

Try resetting your mesh network, i had this issue once whereby one wouldn't connect. Resetted my mesh and all was fine.

Zaichik

Try resetting your mesh network, i had this issue once whereby one wouldn't connect. Resetted my mesh and all was fine.
Thanks. When you say reset, do you mean factory reset, or rebooting? I do the latter every day because the wife insists on everything being turned off at night.

Zaichik

Well, my network has been rebooted several times and this stupid Echo, despite showing as connected in both its own settings and the Orbi app, still says it has no Internet connection when you try to ask it anything. It still works fine if connected to my phone's mobile hotspot, even if the phone is connected to the house WiFi.

The identical Echo Show in the kitchen has no such issues.

I'm baffled.

cjed

If you haven't done so already, a factory reset of the problematic Echo seems to be in order.

Zaichik

I've found out what the problem is but I still can't completely fix it.

I've been into the advanced settings on the Orbi Web interface and found that the Echo Show has somehow been set to blocked under the access controls. I have no idea how that could have happened because it's months since I've logged in there.

For some reason, no matter how many times I request for the device to be allowed like all the others, the router refuses to unblock it.

Does anyone know why? I've had to turn off access control for now because that's the only way I can restore access to the Echo Show.

Zaichik

Turning off the device and deleting it from the blocked but not online list turned out to be the solution. For some reason the Echo Show appeared in that list about 20 times. Deleting all the entries restored its access without having to turn off access control.

Goodness knows how all that happened but I'm just glad to have fixed it. 😊

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom