Question Amazon Echo Dot plus what?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by DannyM, Dec 20, 2017.

1. DannyM

DannyM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an Amazon Echo dot. The internal speaker is worthless for listening to music. Luckily, there is a headphone out port. I am currently using an old pair of amplified computer speakers for the job and would not mind something better.

If you had to choose, what would you connect an Echo Dot to use for casual listening of music?

Thanks!

2. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,407
    Where is the Dot in the house?

How much do you want to spend?

3. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +730
    Active speakers but as asked, budget?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  4. muljao

muljao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    Pair of JBL lsr305s

5. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +676
    It really depends on what else is in the house and how important a full sound or even a high quality full sound is.

The range of options start at simply getting better active speakers or a small cheap single amp and passive speakers.

Next up for music - a proper integrated amp and speakers - you will still need a wired audio connection from the echo dot.

Another option for music is a stereo receiver - this will most likely include direct access to a number of internet audio streaming services along with bluettooth connectivity so the echo dot can connect to it wirelessly, or you could wire it if you want.

If you have a TV/BD player, set-top box or smart-tv and Netflix/amazon or similar and any plans for eventually upgrading the AV sound, then an AV receiver will usually have bluetooth connectivity as well. This is what I currently use if I want my echo dot to play over my sound system. With an AVR, then using an Amazon Fire TV would give you amazon music with an on-TV UI if that is what you use on the echo dot.
    Also some AV sound-bars/sound-projectors may also include multiple input selection and Bluetooth connectivity as well, so similar behavior to an AVR.

There are a lot of options - I suggest you have a think about if any are applicable/interesting to you and also consider how much you may want to spend.

6. DannyM

DannyM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All great questions. This will probably be in the kitchen and stuck above a book case or china hutch. My budget is 200-250chf.

Will a micro system, like the yamaha MCR-B020 work for this purpose?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  7. DannyM

DannyM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a great solution I am planning on implementing downstairs, but a bit overkill for a kitchen application.

8. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +676
    You didn't mention kitchen :)

In which case, just a decent quality Bluetooth audio brick type device would do.

Personally I might look at something of that type that could be part of a multi-room audio system (Yamaha musiccast, sonus etc) that could work with eventual HiFi/AVR/Soundbar etc in a living room.

9. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,407
    A bluetooth solution also has the benefit of automatically re-enabling the Dot's own speaker when unpaired, whereas a wired solution would need to be unplugged.

10. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +730
    So how much is not overkill? You've still not given a budget.

Aha - the Kitchen. The hardest place in a house to get decent sound in.

+1 for Bluetooth speaker. Pretty much designed for such places. If swayed, Plenty of rubbish out there so research is a must.
    I have 2. A Jawbone Big JamBox which i use everywhere when working in, on and around the house or when on my travels. Unfortunately, now discontinued because alas, Jawbone are no more - went bust.

The second is a Logitech UE Wonderboom which is christmas present for the wife. If only to keep her mittens of my JamBox speaker. It does sound pretty darn good. I was most impressed. If you want stereo, It will also allow for multiple speakers to be paired ( same make) if you would like stereo. This will definitely get used in the kitchen

Buy UE WONDERBOOM By Ultimate Ears Bluetooth Waterproof Portable Speaker | John Lewis

Bose Soundlink mini is another to check out if budget allows. I like this one a lot. Best Bluetooth Speaker i've heard to date. Was expecting a Tinny/tin can sound but this thing had grunt and was dishing out some bass that you wouldn't believe. Amazing sound from something so small. However, at £170 was way over what i wanted to spend but I can't say i wasn't tempted.

Buy Bose® SoundLink® Mini II Bluetooth Portable Speaker with Built-In Speakerphone | John Lewis

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  11. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,159