1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazon DVD Rentals = A Big Joke

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by mark88, Jan 11, 2005.

1. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I thought I'd give Amazon DVD rentals ago, £9.99 for 6 rentals/month as they were a few chart DVD I wanted to watch rather than buy....

Have a look at the attachment. I picked 6 titles, all but 1 are "very long wait(upto 30 days)", the only one that isn't, hasn't even been released yet.

Not impressed at all, are other online DVD rentals services like this? If they are not I demand a refund!

Attached Files:

2. Rawschach

Rawschach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +456
    i have to defend amazon here - a consortium of us at work (yes we are tight) have joined and thus far we have had I Robot (good) Troy (not so good) Elf / Ricky Gervais Politics (funny!) King Arthur / Around World 80 days in our first month. The service has been excellent thus far and it seems a great idea. I normally buy dvds like they are going out of fashion but this is a very good alternative. Working out at around 35p a viewing (about right for some films these days!!)

3. Rawschach

Rawschach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +456
    i know this wont help but Hellboy is worth buying rather than renting. It is brilliant and def worth watching more than once.

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Just started using this, very impressed so far, joined just over a week ago, had 3 of the discs already, probably use my allocation of 6 in 2 or 3 weeks, very impressed with this service!
    10% off DVD's too. :smashin:
    ...PJ

5. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    did all your choosen titles say "very long wait" too?...or is it just me? I can't seem to find a title that doesn't say very long wait.

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    That's what I feared actually. I think the rental offer looks so good (esp with 10% off DVD's too) that it will become very popular very quickly and they won't gear up to it fast enough.
    I have a couple of the DVD's you have as "very long wait" in my list as "short wait".
    I have also used a company called dvdoptions.com in the past and they were good, they also have a scheme called "movie match" which is a similar concept... they may be a good bet right now actually 'cause I suspect Amazon has taken some of their custom...PJ

7. thirst

thirst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have never used Amazon rentals but to me it sounds like you would be better off trying a regular package of three DVDs at a time, and as many as you like for around £15 per month. Most other rental companies do better deals than what you're describing.

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    It depends on many factors such as how many DVD's you buy, how much time you get to watch DVD's etc. Someone who doesn't buy any DVDs and has the time to watch 10 DVD's a week may be better off with a 15 quid deal as you describe (though the vagueries of the postal system will limit the number anyway). For a regular buyer of DVD's who doesn't get time to watch many extra the Amazon deal may suit very well and it's a fiver cheaper a month. Depends on your circumstances...PJ

9. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think that the 'very long wait' type comments are from a worst case scenario point of view. I joined in December and 'King Arthur' was down as 'Very Long Wait', but when I had send my first three back and King Arthur went to the top of my list it was delivered straight away.

Thinking about it though, £10 for 6 rentals a month isn't that good compared against a few more pounds to have unllimited rentals, but I think the quality of the service should also be taken into account. So far all the discs have been in mint condition with no scratches and they've been sent out without delay.

I also like the way you can rent discs from a large choice of box sets. I wasn't sure about buying the Star Trek original series box set, so I rented the first disk out of the set from Amazon first to get a feel for them first.

10. sparrow-07

sparrow-07

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    First of all, I think that you will have the same issues with all of the online rental companies. The recent releases are all bound to be at the top of everyone's list, to a certain extent it is just down to pot luck with timing.

That is true if you watch a lot of DVDs, but I was with another company (View-DVD £12.75/month unlimited), I was sharing with my brother and we probably averaged 5 a month. So the monthly limit option may work out better for us.

At the end of the day there are dozens of online rental companies offering much the same type of service. So if you don't like one, then try another.

11. thirst

thirst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Obviously the newer the DVD the less likely it is to be scratched and that goes for all DVD rentals, online or otherwise.

What these rental companies should sort out is some kind of protocol/adaptable software that does not send out TV series discs in the wrong order.

12. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    screenselect have sussed sending out TV series in order. Just working my way through the West Wing ....

13. james616

james616

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just my opinion, but Hellboy is easily the worst film I have ever seen. Each to their own I guess.

14. jpo

jpo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We're on the £8 per month, 4 titles per month package. Joined 17th Dec. Very impressed thus far. Have seen, Spiderman 2, Last Samuri, Mona Lisa Smile have Troy to watch. Excellent quality, rapid turnaround, even over Christmas.

Sky Movies will be going in March once the current 'cheap' package expires. Amazon at £8 per month is a better option for my wife and I than Sky Movies at £10+ per month. Sky Movies is full of endless re-runs, and frankly we were so rarely watching movies that it was a waste of money.

Amazon works for us, we can cancel it when it stops being good. We can re-join as and when it suits. Each to their own I suspect.

Peter

15. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Just an update, I cancelled with amazon and was refunded my £10.

I signed up with Sainsbury/Lovefilm and so far have been very impressed. Had 3 DVD's already...

Also, amazon cocked up and started sending out DVDs to me after I'd be refunded. I mailed them to let them know and apparently I'll continue getting them until the end of the month even though I've paid nothing. So a free month :)

16. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    I use www.screenselect.com - £15 for their 3 at a time/unlimited discs per month option, (£12 for 2 discs, £10 for 1 disc). So far it's been pretty good. Between my mother, brother and I, we have managed to rent 14 discs in the first month between 17th Dec and 16th Jan. Delivery and turnaround has been generally very quick. eg sent disc back on 22nd Dec, they received it on the 23rd. Sent out next disc on list same day, arrived Xmas eve. Though sometimes it's taken 2 days for them or I to receive a disc. Will be interesting to see how many we can manage without the week lost through xmas/nye hols. Between the 3 of us it's working out £1 a disc. Considering I've spent £100+ on dvds in a month, to spend just £5 a month, (£15 between 3 people), is a revalation. Especially as I'm too busy watching new discs to be able to rewatch bought ones. Plus with HD-DVD/Blu-Ray out 2006, I'll wait and buy discs for one of those rather than buying on dvd, then replacing in just a couple of years.

17. sparrow-07

sparrow-07

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The unlimited options are fine if you have the time (or inclination) to watch more than 3 DVDs a week. If you only watch 1 or, on the odd occasion, 2 per week. Then the limited option has to be cheaper for you.

Like I said before, it's a case of pot luck whether you receive the top DVD on your list, no matter what company you are with.