Amazon driver put my laptop in a bin

I've spent an hour on the phone to Amazon and they're denying all responsibility and asking for a police report. When I go to the police website, it directs me towards action fraud for this situation, but Amazon are saying they won't accept anything from action fraud.

Like I said before it's NOT your item that has been stolen, it's THEIRS as it was never delivered and remains their responsibility until it is delivered

You either accept it was delivered and report a theft to police then it's nothing to do with amazon
OR
Maintain that it wasn't delivered and escalate a complaint with amazon with the intention of taking them to the small claims court.

You seem to be doing bits of both of the above at the moment

@Tempest you must also consider that someone could shut and lock it (out of spite, or thinking it's the safe place for someone else or for a different delivery) before your intended parcel arrives. Which would leave you no better off.

Indeed that is always a risk, very dependent on an individual basis.
Thankfully my location is, I would say very good for such an option being a safe idea.
At the moment, my workplace is fine with people having private deliveries, as of course so many people including management use Amazon :)
Also please to say I've never had any bad experiences.
Hope the OP gets this all sorted out soon.

Like I said before it's NOT your item that has been stolen, it's THEIRS as it was never delivered and remains their responsibility until it is delivered

You either accept it was delivered and report a theft to police then it's nothing to do with amazon
OR
Maintain that it wasn't delivered and escalate a complaint with amazon with the intention of taking them to the small claims court.

You seem to be doing bits of both of the above at the moment

They won’t let me escalate it - I keep being told that the team I’m speaking to have max authority, and that they won’t do anything without a police report.

I’ve tried going through all sorts of teams to make a complaint but as soon as I mention what it’s about they pass me onto the delivery investigation team.

I finally got through to a British team, and when I stated that a card was left (I had said this to everyone else, but no notes were made about it), they paused, and asked me to send a picture of it.

Just as I was taking a picture, the call died... Couldn’t get back through to the British team, who clearly understand that Amazon’s policy doesn’t sit above the law.

At this point, I’m just trying to do anything to get my money back :)

^ This seems crazy.
If it was me, I'd simply assume they'd bo!!ock the delivery man for putting it in the bin and give you the benefit of the doubt.
Only reason, if I was them, that I'd not do this, if they had had "Issues" with you before claiming no delivery for missing items.
If you are a virgin! in this regard I would have thought they would come down on your side as a 1st such issue.

They won’t let me escalate it - I keep being told that the team I’m speaking to have max authority, and that they won’t do anything without a police report.

I’ve tried going through all sorts of teams to make a complaint but as soon as I mention what it’s about they pass me onto the delivery investigation team.

I finally got through to a British team, and when I stated that a card was left (I had said this to everyone else, but no notes were made about it), they paused, and asked me to send a picture of it.

Just as I was taking a picture, the call died... Couldn’t get back through to the British team, who clearly understand that Amazon’s policy doesn’t sit above the law.

At this point, I’m just trying to do anything to get my money back :)

Escalate a complaint then keep escalating till you can't escalate no more, I usually slate these sort of companies all over social media I eventually get a local (British) point of contact who sorts it out

I wouldn’t be doing this by phone, I’d be using live chat or email so that there is a transcript / paper trail of every conversation.

Get the point about the transcript but the problem in my experience is that Live Chat is manned by chimps with very little delegated authority - remember you are talking to call centre people on minimum wage. The only way to get through to someone that can actually understand the issue properly and can do something about it is by phone and even that is hit and miss.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be doing this by phone, I’d be using live chat or email so that there is a transcript / paper trail of every conversation.

I’ve tried that route but I don’t get put through to anyone useful - often straight through to the Indian team, so most of the conversation is spent trying to explain what I mean

Get the point about the transcript but the problem in my experience is that Live Chat is manned by chimps with very little delegated authority - remember you are talking to call centre people on minimum wage. The only way to get through to someone that can actually understand the issue properly and can do something about it is by phone and even that is hit and miss.

Cheers,

Nigel
I’ve tried that route but I don’t get put through to anyone useful - often straight through to the Indian team, so most of the conversation is spent trying to explain what I mean

In that case email or letter. With a matter like this where no real progress is being made, I would want a written paper trail so that if and when a small claim is put in, there was evidence rather than he said / she said from telephone calls.

In that case email or letter. With a matter like this where no real progress is being made, I would want a written paper trail so that if and when a small claim is put in, there was evidence rather than he said / she said from telephone calls.

eMails are even worse. The absolutely worst way to communicate with Amazon. In my experience they take 2 to 3 days to respond and then they have deliberately or unintentionally misunderstood the question and usually answered a totally different question of their own invention.

Never tried a registered letter, never had to escalate that far, but I guess that would get their attention, especially if it is written clearly, explaining the problem, explaining what you want and giving them two weeks to resolve otherwise legal action (small claims) will be initiated.

Cheers,

Nigel

Have you contacted them on twitter and FB?
What about the delivery company? log a complaint there, email them, FB, twitter etc
Make a nuisance of yourself, email the CEO etc

"Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, you’re responsible for making sure my order is delivered to me at my address or to an agreed alternative safe place. I did not agree to my order being left in an alternative place and I have not received it.”

If you’re asking for redelivery, add:

“I am now setting a deadline for delivery of ______ and ask you to deliver the item within that deadline.”

You’ll need to choose a deadline for redelivery which is appropriate to what you’re ordering.

If you’re asking for a refund, add:

“I expect a full refund without undue delay.”

Refer to an essential delivery date if you agreed one with the seller. You’ll need to refer to any essential delivery dates that had previously been agreed with the seller.

You should also make clear in your letter how you want to receive the refund - for example, into your bank account or by cheque.

Student
Apartment living
Car
Buying laptops on debit cards

None of this closely resembles my University years, but then again Amazon wasn’t a thing.

Amazon customer service is not what it was 10 years ago. I had two items delivered to the Amazon locker but on pickup only one item was there the other worth £100 was missing. After many emails and been pushed from pillar to post on the phone I was getting nowhere. Got the distinct impression they thought I was lying and would give up. It wasn't until I told them the locker was in a supermarket and the CCTV will show me collecting only one item that they backed down and refunded.

to be fair to the drivers, they are under extreme pressure to meet delivery quotas, if they cannot leave a package they have to attempt a re delivery which is effectively out of their time. The issue is a symptom of the system, the drivers don't cause it.

I found a fragile crockery delivery on the floor behind my garden gate, i thought it was dropped over but i checked the cameras and they passed it hand to hand through the metal gate and placed it gently. Personally, i've not had problems with Amazon deliveries but there is a definate downhill trend driven by consumers who want it now.

to be fair to the drivers, they are under extreme pressure to meet delivery quotas, if they cannot leave a package they have to attempt a re delivery which is effectively out of their time. The issue is a symptom of the system, the drivers don't cause it.

I found a fragile crockery delivery on the floor behind my garden gate, i thought it was dropped over but i checked the cameras and they passed it hand to hand through the metal gate and placed it gently. Personally, i've not had problems with Amazon deliveries but there is a definate downhill trend driven by consumers who want it now.

The delivery drivers take a risk and I can see why they do it, most of the time they'll get away with it but occasionally like this time the wheel will come off, it's inevitable if they're leaving them insecure in bins, sheds, open porches, behind gates etc.

When it goes wrong and the courier admits to leaving something insecure, ie not delivering it to the customer or leaving in a place that has not been agreed then that should be that, refund or replacement (unless there's any evidence of the customer scamming) and let amazon and the courier sort out what went wrong internally.

It seems that amazon are condoning inadequate delivery services and think that something thrown into a soggy back garden counts as a successful delivery.Thankfully the consumer rights act disagrees.

Just to reassure the OP.

Appreciate that you are experiencing obstruction from Amazon at the moment and I can imagine that it is quite stressful.

But in my opinion, this is a situation that Amazon can never win, so I am confident that it will be sorted in the end, even if that means going down the legal route.

Hopefully, Amazon will come to their senses and sort it amicably and quickly rather than have to go through a legal route.

Cheers,

Nigel

Student
Apartment living
Car
Buying laptops on debit cards

None of this closely resembles my University years, but then again Amazon wasn’t a thing.

I’ve just spent a year working earning decent money, hence the purchase of a laptop and car, and the living in an apartment

In addition, I also worked before going to university, and was able to take money with me

Anyhow,

This is the response I get every single time I try and escalate etc

every time

81CC5591-CC75-43B9-9804-1BC37AC4D444.jpeg

I’ve just spent a year working earning decent money, hence the purchase of a laptop and car, and the living in an apartment

In addition, I also worked before going to university, and was able to take money with me

Anyhow,

This is the response I get every single time I try and escalate etc

every time

View attachment 1205372

Laughable

wow what a farce from amazon and a nightmare for you. I'd reply including the citizens advice link from above stating it is their responsibility and that as you havent signed for it and do not have it is up to them to fix this or you will seek legal advice.

If they think it has been delivered then why and how would they help police anyway? It would be nothing to do with them, the best they could say is it was left in the bin at xx time.

Like people have said it's still their item, it's their responsibility which they are trying to wriggle out of

You've got consumer law on your side and the proof that it wasn't delivered and was placed in a bin which you did not nominate as a "safe place"

Make an official complaint, you're obviously getting no sense from the chimps.

Last edited:
If they think it has been delivered then why and how would they help police anyway? It would be nothing to do with them, the best they could say is it was left in the bin at xx time.

Like people have said it's still their item, it's their responsibility which they are trying to wriggle out of

You've got consumer law on your side and the proof that it wasn't delivered and was placed in a bin which you did not nominate as a "safe place"

Make an official complaint, you're obviously getting no sense from the chimps.

I can't make a complaint - when I ask to make one, they ask what it's in relation to, and as soon as I mention, I get the response that the team have fully investigated the matter etc etc

The management team that have responded above are the highest I've been able to get to. They're blocking it at every step

The reason I'm reluctant to go to the police is I feel I'm then admitting it's been delivered

"Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, you’re responsible for making sure my order is delivered to me at my address or to an agreed alternative safe place. I did not agree to my order being left in an alternative place and I have not received it.”

If you’re asking for redelivery, add:

“I am now setting a deadline for delivery of ______ and ask you to deliver the item within that deadline.”

You’ll need to choose a deadline for redelivery which is appropriate to what you’re ordering.

If you’re asking for a refund, add:

“I expect a full refund without undue delay.”

Refer to an essential delivery date if you agreed one with the seller. You’ll need to refer to any essential delivery dates that had previously been agreed with the seller.

You should also make clear in your letter how you want to receive the refund - for example, into your bank account or by cheque.

I sent the following email to them earlier this week:
FAO Amazon UK Customer Services,

I placed an order with Amazon UK for a (laptop) which has still not been delivered to me.

I have not yet received my delivery and have been informed that the courier left it in a place the they thought was safe without my express permission to do so. At the time of delivery, I was in a lecture at university, and physically could not have signed for the item, even though Amazon stated I must sign for it. Upon returning home at approximately 20:00 hours, a note had been left through my letterbox stating that it had been left in a green bin outside my house. When I checked the bin, no items were there.

Under the Consumer Rights Act and the Consumer Contracts Regulations, the goods remain your responsibility until they are received by me and I would request that you now make arrangements for the item to be delivered to me without delay and would request that you confirm that you will do this on receipt of this complaint.

If you are unable to do so I will be entitled to consider our contract at an end and will expect you to refund me the full purchase price and any delivery charges.

Yours faithfully,

[name]

As you can guess, this was met with the same email I've received every time I've contacted them:

We have fully investigated this matter, including with the delivery carrier who delivered the package. Based on the outcome of our investigations, we believe the package was delivered to the correct address. In particular we have considered information from our records, as follows which indicate the item as delivered:

- the timed geocode stamp of the delivery location;
- information collected at the point of delivery; and
- the package weight and reported condition upon delivery.

Accordingly, based on our investigations, we won’t be able to provide a replacement or refund for this order at this time.

If you think that someone has intercepted your item without your permission, this is a crime, and you may wish to contact your local police authorities to pursue this matter further. To assist, we recommend that you provide a copy of this email to the police to help explain what has happened. We will happily cooperate with the police as part of any investigation.

If the issue isn't resolved after contacting local police, please contact us again and include a copy of the police report, crime reference number and details of the station where the incident was reported. Please note: to assist in obtaining a police report, we recommend that you provide a copy of this email to the police to help explain what has happened. We will then validate the report with the local police force in question; for that reason, we are unable to accept reports filed with Action Fraud, as this is a reporting centre, rather than a local police force.

Please forward a PDF, JPG or PNG copy of the police report to the following address: [email protected]. Please be sure to include key information including:

- Name/Rank of the officer
- Name of police station
- Phone Number of police station
- Crime Reference Number

As the outcome of our detailed investigation suggests that the item was delivered, unfortunately without any such police report reporting the crime of theft or interception of the item, we are unable to take further action.

Thank you for your understanding.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom