Amazon driver put my laptop in a bin

nheather

Distinguished Member
Got my bin days the wrong way around - recycling was the day before :facepalm:

Only makes the situation worse really! Someone has got themselves a new laptop :nono:
Yes looks like someone has been light-fingered. You need to get Amazon on the phone first and explain the situation and take it from there.

Cheers,

Nigel

arenaman

It's clear that this item was never delivered, the subsequent theft or whatever happened to it isn't the OP's concern, let amazon report their parcel stolen if they want to, the OP should not be doing their work for them.

Si01327

@Cameron583 - given you've now had two Amazon items left in your bin (the original laptop and then a graphics card), what have you set as your "safe place" for the delivery address in your Amazon account? There's a post from Hyperfish on page 1 showing the various options you can choose......

If it's one of the valid locations then you have a good argument to say they didn't actually leave it where you've told them to leave it. If you haven't set a safe place up for your delivery address though, does anyone know what Amazon will default to, or will they attempt to redeliver on another day?

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
@Cameron583 - given you've now had two Amazon items left in your bin (the original laptop and then a graphics card), what have you set as your "safe place" for the delivery address in your Amazon account? There's a post from Hyperfish on page 1 showing the various options you can choose......

If it's one of the valid locations then you have a good argument to say they didn't actually leave it where you've told them to leave it. If you haven't set a safe place up for your delivery address though, does anyone know what Amazon will default to, or will they attempt to redeliver on another day?
I do not have a safe place as to be honest the options for people who live in flats is limited, in fact all you have is leave with neighbour which I will not do.

Si01327

I do not have a safe place as to be honest the options for people who live in flats is limited, in fact all you have is leave with neighbour which I will not do.
Fair point. So if you're not in, what happens to the delivery? Or do you always try to be around if you're expecting one?

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
Fair point. So if you're not in, what happens to the delivery? Or do you always try to be around if you're expecting one?
Being retired I am mostly in and most of what I order is small enough to go though mu large letter box of the cat flat/door. But on one occasion a driver put an item though the cat door and rather than put it to one side left it blocking the door and in full view of anyone coming up the stair.
A lot of this stuff is down to common sense, I have been a courier and would not have dreamt of leaving stuff any old place like in a bin or under a door mat. Better a day late than not at all.

Last edited:

Cameron583

In future - Loughborough University has Amazon Lockers - best to use them.

Cheers,

Nigel
I usually do but they weren't available for this order. Either full up or item value too high

I don't have a safe place set as I've always lived in an apartment. In that scenario, they ordinarily just leave it outside of my door or on top of the communal post box downstairs.

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Hope the OP gets all this worked out.
Will admit, I have considered a safe place in the past. may look into that again.
I have a reasonably good location to put a wooden/plastic container. But would like something that the delivery person shuts and then it's locked till I unlock it.

nvingo

@Tempest you must also consider that someone could shut and lock it (out of spite, or thinking it's the safe place for someone else or for a different delivery) before your intended parcel arrives. Which would leave you no better off.

Thug

Distinguished Member
I have a Ring door bell and can speak to the person either if they press the button or activate the motion sensor. I usually tell them to put it in the recycling bin, as this is behind the house and anyone approaching it will activate the door bell motion sensor (so I can watch them pinch it, but cant stop them of course).

I did once have an issue with an item attempted being delivered, and when I argued they had not been (was in all day waiting for it) they showed me proof that they had with a photo of my front door.....
IMG_0100.jpg

….except this is my front door....
IMG_5048.jpg

They soon realised that the driver had never even been to my house.

Makes you wonder did they take an out of focus photo on purpose to 'try it on'.

Last edited:

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
A guy I play football with is an Amazon courier, he reckons that most of these issues (packages left in stupid places) are caused by the management. To give you an example, his depo is 25 minutes from home and his shift starts at 18:00 (typically finishing at 21:15) His route is pretty random and changes on a daily basis, on one day he could find his first drop 10 minutes from the depot although on others he may have to drive an hour and 10 minutes to the delivery area. His standard pay is not bad, what makes his pay better is reaching the 100% delivery mark on a shift, bonuses kick in at that level only.

Should he deliver 100%, he's free to drive straight home after his last delivery, If he has a single package left over at the shifts end, he has to return back to the depot to check it back in and get bollocked by the manager, driving back to the depot, can easily put an hour and a half onto his day for no extra pay.

I think common sense goes out the window when they are faced with this, get 100% and a bonus or fail and waste an hour and a half with no pay, it's no wonder this happens.

jassco

Distinguished Member
I ordered some kitchen scales from Amazon the other day. Opened them up to find them dirty and broken. They refunded me but only after I complained and made a point that I'm not going out of my way to take them to a shop to return them.

DPinBucks

Distinguished Member
I ordered some kitchen scales from Amazon the other day. Opened them up to find them dirty and broken. They refunded me but only after I complained and made a point that I'm not going out of my way to take them to a shop to return them.
I'm surprised you had such trouble.

Amazon have a perfectly good returns service, which has always worked perfectly for me. It's extremely simple to use. You don't even need to print a label out these days.

It should have handled your problem easily, with no questions asked and a full refund or replacement. If you don't want or can't get to a shop to return it (I have a few local to me, so it's no problem), I'm sure they offer a collections service at no cost.

Sonic67

Distinguished Member
At a previous address I always wanted deliveries to go in my green bin.

It rarely had anything in it and deliveries tend to have way too much packaging so it was unlikely the contents would be affected and I don't think anyone would have thought to look in there as well.

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
At a previous address I always wanted deliveries to go in my green bin.

It rarely had anything in it and deliveries tend to have way too much packaging so it was unlikely the contents would be affected and I don't think anyone would have thought to look in there as well.
Like the vauables in your shoe when you're swimming, no thief would ever dream of searching your shoe.

Didn't everyone think they invented this idea when they were younger? :D

Cameron583

I've spent an hour on the phone to Amazon and they're denying all responsibility and asking for a police report. When I go to the police website, it directs me towards action fraud for this situation, but Amazon are saying they won't accept anything from action fraud.

sounds_good

Sorry to hear the situation, it's easy to take delivery for granted until it goes wrong. I'd suggest calling 101 to confirm, but I'm 99% certain police will direct you to Action Fraud too - I believe it's their way of collecting reports of fraud so the reference should be legitimate for any follow up actions. There must be reams of reports about this kind of thing online to looks for clues about what you could try to get resolution, messaging [email protected] apparently gets results sometimes?

shoestring25

I dont buy from amazon because of a similar type of situation also alot of the other stuff they get up to

I think they are a despicable company

Last edited:

ChrisNic

I've spent an hour on the phone to Amazon and they're denying all responsibility and asking for a police report. When I go to the police website, it directs me towards action fraud for this situation, but Amazon are saying they won't accept anything from action fraud.
But this is neither fraud nor theft, the police aren’t going to be interested.

You appear not to have found someone at Amazon with an ounce of sense. I suggest you keep pushing them on the phone and see their complaints process through.

It may also be worth contacting your bank to discuss what support they can provide in the form of a charge back. Amazon can appeal a charge back so it may not be a cure all.

Amazon cannot simply fob you off on this and ultimately if it got as far as a small claims court the judge would see sense.

arenaman

Like I said before it's NOT your item that has been stolen, it's THEIRS as it was never delivered and remains their responsibility until it is delivered

You either accept it was delivered and report a theft to police then it's nothing to do with amazon
OR
Maintain that it wasn't delivered and escalate a complaint with amazon with the intention of taking them to the small claims court.

You seem to be doing bits of both of the above at the moment

Tempest

Distinguished Member
@Tempest you must also consider that someone could shut and lock it (out of spite, or thinking it's the safe place for someone else or for a different delivery) before your intended parcel arrives. Which would leave you no better off.
Indeed that is always a risk, very dependent on an individual basis.
Thankfully my location is, I would say very good for such an option being a safe idea.
At the moment, my workplace is fine with people having private deliveries, as of course so many people including management use Amazon :)
Also please to say I've never had any bad experiences.
Hope the OP gets this all sorted out soon.

Cameron583

Like I said before it's NOT your item that has been stolen, it's THEIRS as it was never delivered and remains their responsibility until it is delivered

You either accept it was delivered and report a theft to police then it's nothing to do with amazon
OR
Maintain that it wasn't delivered and escalate a complaint with amazon with the intention of taking them to the small claims court.

You seem to be doing bits of both of the above at the moment
They won’t let me escalate it - I keep being told that the team I’m speaking to have max authority, and that they won’t do anything without a police report.

I’ve tried going through all sorts of teams to make a complaint but as soon as I mention what it’s about they pass me onto the delivery investigation team.

I finally got through to a British team, and when I stated that a card was left (I had said this to everyone else, but no notes were made about it), they paused, and asked me to send a picture of it.

Just as I was taking a picture, the call died... Couldn’t get back through to the British team, who clearly understand that Amazon’s policy doesn’t sit above the law.

At this point, I’m just trying to do anything to get my money back :)

Tempest

Distinguished Member
^ This seems crazy.
If it was me, I'd simply assume they'd bo!!ock the delivery man for putting it in the bin and give you the benefit of the doubt.
Only reason, if I was them, that I'd not do this, if they had had "Issues" with you before claiming no delivery for missing items.
If you are a virgin! in this regard I would have thought they would come down on your side as a 1st such issue.

arenaman

They won’t let me escalate it - I keep being told that the team I’m speaking to have max authority, and that they won’t do anything without a police report.

I’ve tried going through all sorts of teams to make a complaint but as soon as I mention what it’s about they pass me onto the delivery investigation team.

I finally got through to a British team, and when I stated that a card was left (I had said this to everyone else, but no notes were made about it), they paused, and asked me to send a picture of it.

Just as I was taking a picture, the call died... Couldn’t get back through to the British team, who clearly understand that Amazon’s policy doesn’t sit above the law.

At this point, I’m just trying to do anything to get my money back :)
Escalate a complaint then keep escalating till you can't escalate no more, I usually slate these sort of companies all over social media I eventually get a local (British) point of contact who sorts it out

nheather

Distinguished Member
I wouldn’t be doing this by phone, I’d be using live chat or email so that there is a transcript / paper trail of every conversation.
Get the point about the transcript but the problem in my experience is that Live Chat is manned by chimps with very little delegated authority - remember you are talking to call centre people on minimum wage. The only way to get through to someone that can actually understand the issue properly and can do something about it is by phone and even that is hit and miss.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

Cameron583

I wouldn’t be doing this by phone, I’d be using live chat or email so that there is a transcript / paper trail of every conversation.
I’ve tried that route but I don’t get put through to anyone useful - often straight through to the Indian team, so most of the conversation is spent trying to explain what I mean

Inked

Distinguished Member
Get the point about the transcript but the problem in my experience is that Live Chat is manned by chimps with very little delegated authority - remember you are talking to call centre people on minimum wage. The only way to get through to someone that can actually understand the issue properly and can do something about it is by phone and even that is hit and miss.

Cheers,

Nigel
I’ve tried that route but I don’t get put through to anyone useful - often straight through to the Indian team, so most of the conversation is spent trying to explain what I mean
In that case email or letter. With a matter like this where no real progress is being made, I would want a written paper trail so that if and when a small claim is put in, there was evidence rather than he said / she said from telephone calls.