Amazon driver put my laptop in a bin

Cameron583

Last week, I ordered a second hand laptop from Amazon Warehouse. Decent deal, wanted to try it out for note taking at uni - wouldn't have felt as bad if I needed to return something already open.

I waited around for most of the day for delivery, but needed to go to a lecture at 16:00. Assumed they'd re deliver it the next day if I had to leave before they delivered it.

Left at 15:30 for my lecture, and when I got home at about 20:00, there was a note through the letterbox to say it was in my green bin. Few problems:

It was a signed for delivery​
It was recycling day​
My bin was empty​
Amazon have said that they have a geo stamp to say the driver turned up (I could have told them that - he left a note...), and that's enough proof it got delivered.

They're denying all responsibility. I'm about to file a police report, but are there any other steps anyone can think of I should take?

To say I'm a little peeved would be an understatement - I specifically didn't ask them to leave it in a safe place, and it even said it needed to be signed for... Why leave it in a bin?

Thought I'd leave it for a couple of days in case a neighbour saw and took it in, but haven't heard anything. No notes.

Thoughts?

rousetafarian

Wow! That’s shoddy service, I cancelled my Amazon Prime this renewal anniversary so have saved £70.00 plus a load of money on unnecessary items I’ve bought being delivered to places I don’t want them to be delivered to.

Cameron583

Wow! That’s shoddy service, I cancelled my Amazon Prime this renewal anniversary so have saved £70.00 plus a load of money on unnecessary items I’ve bought being delivered to places I don’t want them to be delivered to.
Absolutely - I regularly get better service from members on this very forum!

Blooming joke that they have no idea what's happened to it...

On the plus side, they accidentally delivered an umbrella the other day too, and I rang them up to arrange to return it, and they said I can keep it :D

dms

Do you still have the note? Hope so. Assuming you do, I personally would engage in chats with them and keep banging on that you have a note saying the laptop was left in a bin. I'd also say I had something from the council saying it was bin collection day (we get flyers from the council and it's on their website). If they said it was delivered I would correct them every time to say it was put in a bin. I'm not a lawyer but it might be worth checking if a bin is actually legally yours, I suspect it's council property, so technically it wasn't delivered to your property.... might be a bit technical ;-)

If the first person didn't listen I'd try again and again till I found someone who would. Polite but firm persistence has always won it over for me... eventually.

I had a terrible experience with Amazon when two sets of phone deliveries were clearly stolen by their courier who went AWOL on them. I was fortunate they had no record of it being delivered but we are talking about a close to a £1k delivery they weren't going to do anything about at first.

DemonAV

Distinguished Member
Unbelievable! It's a signed service and you didn't sign for it so as far as the law states the item is still their responsibility. Demand a copy of the signature and then file a complaint as the signiature is not yours. Good luck.

rousetafarian

It’s not your laptop until you’ve signed for it, don’t overlook this small point. They or their contractors are culpable.

Cameron583

It’s not your laptop until you’ve signed for it, don’t overlook this small point. They or their contractors are culpable.
Due to my time working for John Lewis, I became quite familiar with consumer law, and you're absolutely right. But they're adamant that what they're doing is in-line with UK law (When it clearly isn't).

Do you still have the note? Hope so. Assuming you do, I personally would engage in chats with them and keep banging on that you have a note saying the laptop was left in a bin. I'd also say I had something from the council saying it was bin collection day (we get flyers from the council and it's on their website). If they said it was delivered I would correct them every time to say it was put in a bin. I'm not a lawyer but it might be worth checking if a bin is actually legally yours, I suspect it's council property, so technically it wasn't delivered to your property.... might be a bit technical ;-)

If the first person didn't listen I'd try again and again till I found someone who would. Polite but firm persistence has always won it over for me... eventually.

I had a terrible experience with Amazon when two sets of phone deliveries were clearly stolen by their courier who went AWOL on them. I was fortunate they had no record of it being delivered but we are talking about a close to a £1k delivery they weren't going to do anything about at first.
I do still have the note, but they're not bothered at all. I'll keep on at them :)

I keep saying to them that they cannot prove it was delivered, but I can prove that I wasn't even at home at the time of delivery (Loughborough university has an app that tracks your attendance in lectures using your location and bluetooth data)

DemonAV

Distinguished Member
Maybe but you can prove you didn't sign for it as the signature will be not be yours. You could contact your council but that's not looking good.

Cameron583

Maybe but you can prove you didn't sign for it as the signature will be not be yours. You could contact your council but that's not looking good.
It's on the website that it's bin day, so I'm happy to send that over too.

To be honest though I have no idea what happened to it - it could have been taken by the bin men, but he "delivered" it at 17:00; surely they don't collect recycling at that time?

Would be pretty easy to steal it too (as the courier), if all Amazon require is proof that he showed up at the address...

They won't provide the signature for data protection reasons :facepalm:

ChrisNic

How did you pay for the order?

If it was a credit card then essentially it’s their laptop that Amazon has put in the bin, accordingly they have a responsibility to support you.

swiftpete

If it was a credit card then essentially it’s their laptop that Amazon has put in the bin, accordingly they have a responsibility to support you.
That’s a good point. Going to change my payment method on amazon right now to credit card.
OP I had the same thing happen. Pair of trainers were ‘delivered’ to the bin which was only out because... you’ve guessed it, it was bin day. I got another pair in the end.

Cameron583

Unfortunately a debit card :/ I usually use a credit card however it doesn't have a large limit at all

andrewt9763

So,was the bin out on the pavement ?.The bins don’t get emptied round here unless they have been put out,or you have a disability meaning they will take it from the agreed location.
Anyone could have spotted him putting it in the bin and liberated it.
Have had Amazon,Royal Mail Special and recorded plus others do this here as well,even had an Amazon delivery left in full view from the road on the side door step,amazingly it was still there when I got home.

nheather

Distinguished Member
I thought they had stopped this - there have been so many stories about Amazon leaving stuff in bins on bin day.

Any way, to the OP, I appreciate that Amazon are being unreasonable at the moment but there is absolutely no way that Amazon can win this one.

It is wrong on many ways

1. They didn’t deliver it with a signature, so it is still their’s
  2. Leaving parcels in a bin is not appropriate, bin day or not, any judge or magistrate will agree to this
Cheers,

Nigel

nheather

Distinguished Member
You can charge back a debit card
I wouldn’t do this just yet because as far as I am aware that is the bank paying up against their insurance, Amazon are getting away scot free.

Persevere with Amazon - have you been speaking to them on the phone, or just by email/chat.

If they won’t listen to reason then write to them giving them two weeks notice of legal action through the small claims court.

Cheers,

Nigel

shoestring25

Ive frankly had enough of all these delivery people signing for stuff on my behalf and chucking it over a gate. Its not just amazon its almost all of them now

Cameron583

So,was the bin out on the pavement ?.The bins don’t get emptied round here unless they have been put out,or you have a disability meaning they will take it from the agreed location.
Anyone could have spotted him putting it in the bin and liberated it.
Have had Amazon,Royal Mail Special and recorded plus others do this here as well,even had an Amazon delivery left in full view from the road on the side door step,amazingly it was still there when I got home.
Bin was on my drive, however it doesn't mean much as my bin men are awfully nice and often take out the recycling anyway :)

I wouldn’t do this just yet because as far as I am aware that is the bank paying up against their insurance, Amazon are getting away scot free.

Persevere with Amazon - have you been speaking to them on the phone, or just by email/chat.

If they won’t listen to reason then write to them giving them two weeks notice of legal action through the small claims court.

Cheers,

Nigel
Only via chat - I'll give them a call tomorrow. I've sent them a formal email explaining the situation, stated the facts and asked them to provide evidence that, as per their delivery terms, a signature for the resident (me) was taken at the point of delivery.

I've got all the proof I need to show I wasn't here.

A couple of neighbours have CCTV but only points towards their houses/door - would have been an easy way to close this whole thing.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Yes do that - on the whole the Amazon staff I have encountered on email and chat have been inept. But on the phone they have always been a lot better.

Cheers,

Nigel

rousetafarian

Why would it be left in the bin? There isn't an option for inside the wheelie bin.

View attachment 1204407
Have you met any of these drivers? My local guys are great but others are nightmares. They probably thought it was the ‘safe place’ box ticked

Cameron583

Got my bin days the wrong way around - recycling was the day before :facepalm:

Only makes the situation worse really! Someone has got themselves a new laptop :nono:

Cameron583

Have you met any of these drivers? My local guys are great but others are nightmares. They probably thought it was the ‘safe place’ box ticked
The very next day, yodel delivered a graphics card and put it in the same bin. It was supposed to be signed for too

Thankfully I arrived home within a short amount of time

I messaged the seller to make them aware, as they had to pay extra for a signed for service

I think the issue relates to the fact my car is on the drive even when I’m on campus, so drivers think I’m just on the loo :p

nvingo

Golden rule for me,if i order anything from Amazon that can't be put through my letterbox,i always make sure i will be in on that day...
OK if the delivery occurs on the predicted day, not if as so often it arrives earlier.
I had a PC monitor expected Tuesday after bank holiday, we were out all day Saturday. Luckily we have a safe 'safe place' and a neighbour trusted with a key.

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
Golden rule for me,if i order anything from Amazon that can't be put through my letterbox,i always make sure i will be in on that day.
Also i use the app from amazon to track any item,to see where it is on the day,and how long they will be
The tracking can be very hit and miss in fact it only works if the item is being delivered by their own couriers.
I have found Prime to be very hit and miss these days, rarely next day and sometimes several days, or I have received a notification of despatch and estimated delivery dates and the item has shown up days earlier. Not a big issue for me as I am in most days but I have seen Amazon couriers leave things under a doormat, now who is going to list that as a safe place.
Customer service is going down the tubes with Amazon as we all knew it would.

aVdub

Distinguished Member
I had one dropped into the green bin from Amazon, even though I have trusted neighbours listed on my account.
Amazon took note of this, paid a token compensation and then the next delivery was also placed in the green bin :facepalm:

Setting up a cam to watch the front door has shown me some real eye openers in relation to deliveries and that is not limited to just Amazon.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
One of their drivers chucked a laptop over the fence that slid between two wheelie bins, in the rain, and didn’t leave a card. I found it 3 days later when amazon insisted it had been delivered. That soggy box was promptly returned!

aVdub

Distinguished Member
Had one guy ring the bell and then within 15 seconds attempted to hip thrust a parcel through my letterbox, when that failed he started to look full of panic, to the point I was expecting to see little red dots appear all over his chest.

I opened the door within 1 minute 🙄